Tech schools and college ND

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
And during that time i think i seen more go than come, Vietnam as the next schooling. But overall, after 4 years I had a 2.41. Not bad and kept my virginity. db

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think kids don’t have to figure stuff out on there own any more. We are always connected and a phone call away from help. They don’t know what to do when everything doesn’t go as planned . Hell most never have had to change a flat tire.
It’s some of that for sure. But they have zero common sense and the work ethic is dismal.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
General carpentry, HVAC, Electrical, and Plumbing will continue to rise in economic value like doctors, lawyers, and insurance salesman. As society dumbs itself down, all professions listed above become 6 figure plus jobs.

It’s ok if you don’t want to do any of the above, because the government will take from them and give to those who don’t want to do anything.

Also, politicians, lawyers, and insurance salesman automatically have an uphill climb to make it to Heaven.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_7743.gif

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think kids don’t have to figure stuff out on there own any more. We are always connected and a phone call away from help. They don’t know what to do when everything doesn’t go as planned . Hell most never have had to change a flat tire.
This is exactly it. My oldest boys are finally getting there. My youngest gets it. We'll be trying to figure some shit out, and he starts spitting out the same solution as me...
Used to piss me off that he was my clone, because I know how stupid I was at his age, but now I'm starting to feel like having some me in him ain't so bad.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
What? That's money brought into the state, not money from the state.
I never said that. My kid worked under grants in usda building. If 60% decrease in kids = less grants. It also = extreme instability at that school which= grants going to iowa vs nd. U have to have butter to spread the federal bread around.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bottom line god sent a message to und with the ndsu diploma mistake in printing. Nobody got the message they just blamed the printer. The issue will get talked about. And one day emporer walz will make his move it will be to late

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
shorts,

The grants are not student dependent. That's research money the professors apply for, and receive, to support their research that will eventually lead to their receiving tenure. Or, maybe even the result of past research that still has unanswered questions.

Nonetheless, their are no research grants that come in to the university based on the number of students at that institution. At least, I am not aware of any.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
shorts,

The grants are not student dependent. That's research money the professors apply for, and receive, to support their research that will eventually lead to their receiving tenure. Or, maybe even the result of past research that still has unanswered questions.

Nonetheless, their are no research grants that come in to the university based on the number of students at that institution. At least, I am not aware of any.
If u cant keep the lights on ..........

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
If u cant keep the lights on ..........
When I worked for UND the "tax" rate that UND kept from every grant ranged from 25-40%. With over $100,000,000 coming in, that's up to forty million bucks that went towards the electric bill. Pretty sure that helps keep the lights on.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
As a researcher, I secured $955,000+ in grants last year as a principal investigator (pi). I helped out as a co-pi last year and helped garner nearly $250,000 additional money. These funds are a mixture of out of state and check-off dollars that support salaries for full-time benefited employees and have a trickle down impact (i.e. purchasing local seed, herbicides, soil testing, field, and more). On top of that, the research I conduct directly impacts farmer decisions and improves their bottom line.

We need technical and 4+ year programs to cater to the needs of our state and to the students. The biggest thing regardless of the type of institution is to have degrees that can be put to use.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
In my senior year at NDSU i had a professor tell me i had no business being at NDSU as i was not college material.

After 3 and 1/2 years of schooling with a number of probation letters from the dean, 3 and 1/2 years of drinking old mill, meeting working ladies on Broadway, coming close to touching a boob, racing my 426 on airport road, staying out of Nam and the risk that came with that and now i am told by a learn man that i should have been in a two year tech school and at this point in life sitting in Fire Base JJ Carroll by the DMZ shooting a 107 SP Howitzer 175 MM bullet putting my tech schooling learning to good use.

And i said to him 'Why do you think i am here" learning stuff about cow and pigs to enable me to make it in life?

OR

Maybe, just maybe the old mill, ladies, boobs, racing and all that comes with that to enable for me to make it to age77 today with some great memories and a chance to make more. I am sure some of the ladies (who could drink with the best of them) from that time must thank me for the memories (except those who out drank me) along with all the Fords and Chevy i put to shame.

It was good. Tech schools or 4 year it is not all about book learning. It's just college gave me 2 more years of some good, clean learning. db

Last edited:

Average_NDA_Member

Hmmm nope all this talk about grants research education blah blah blah makes me think yer all a bunch a blue hair tax wastin liberals we don’t need grants n if covid and cwd taught us anything its that education n research aint real it’s a big scam tell ya what all ya need is some boots n a strong pound some nails dig some holes cash yet check bout time we got rid of all these fancy office jobs anyway

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I see you learn your writing education/skills well.
Must of took the same classes as i did. db

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have two nephews. Brothers, two years apart. One went to U of M and graduated with a degree. The other went to become and electrician and is now a Journeyman. The electrician makes almost double what the other one makes and works less hours, has more vacation time, and better benefits. The college grad is in an upper management position in his company so he's NOT one of those with a worthless degree that didn't provide him with his chosen field of employment. Listening to them have "Brotherly" disagreements is quite enjoyable.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
17 when i went to college. No ideal what i wanted in life. Goal was to take classes, get mostly passing grades, keep a 2s deferment. Prove i could leave mommy and daddy and make it. Mature, experience and enjoy.

Had no classes teaching me how to do my job i had for 50 years. That was all on the job training for that.

For me school was to exercise my mind like the gym for my body. Made me sharper and quicker. No matter which school or class. Prepare me for life and that is why working my mind with class no matter what i wanted to do, working my mind with beer, women and cars was important. Did that for 4 years. It was good and all together gave me what i needed to make it.
Sitting at a desk can get old but so can pulling wirers every day to wire a home. Important to enjoy and believe you're making a difference, looking forward to the next day.

Now, what is next. Building a hot rod, more guns, i am not sure at this point in my life.
db

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Is the statement true that if you are old enough one can touch a boob and get away with it because of one's age? db

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have two nephews. Brothers, two years apart. One went to U of M and graduated with a degree. The other went to become and electrician and is now a Journeyman. The electrician makes almost double what the other one makes and works less hours, has more vacation time, and better benefits. The college grad is in an upper management position in his company so he's NOT one of those with a worthless degree that didn't provide him with his chosen field of employment. Listening to them have "Brotherly" disagreements is quite enjoyable.

Probably best to withhold judgment for now, wait until they are 55 and nearing retirement. I've had a good number of years in both blue and white collar positions, there are positives and negatives with both, but it is more common to be hampered by age-related, or repetitive motion injuries in the blue collar occupations.

Your white collar nephew needs a new employer, same field or not. Electricians make good money, but not double what a decent paying white collar position pays.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 28