Tech schools and college ND

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think kids don’t have to figure stuff out on there own any more. We are always connected and a phone call away from help. They don’t know what to do when everything doesn’t go as planned . Hell most never have had to change a flat tire.
About 30 plus years ago my wife worked with an attorney whose kids did not get to drive a car until they could change a tire plus other minor fixes and know the workings of a car.

This guy put himself through law school as a crop duster during the summers. He wanted the kids to have some knowledge and mechanical ability.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've also been a part of both sides of the job fields when we are talking about blue and white collar jobs. When I had enough of the construction field in a trade of a carpenter, I decided that the only way I was going to make more money was start my own business or find a different trade.

So I decided the fastest way to do that was to go back to school for 2 years, worked for a surveyor until he decided he made enough money and retired. I didn't have enough hours to take my pls,so I went to work for an engineering firm. As a company that consolidates construction projects, the company gets payed by what degree you have plus years, they had excellent benefits but pay was shit compared to the actual work that I did compared to even those engineers who only had a FE status, they boosted ones salary almost 20 percent over a tech with 4 or 5 years experience. That got old being that I was 10+ years older then these guys who had a God complex, granted no every engineer was like that bit the majority did.

So I decided to go back to the construction side you work way more hours on the construction side and for a very small window of time around 6 months, but the overall benefits and the work atmosphere for me is top notch since I only have to worry about myself since I run an asphalt lab. if a master plumber, electrician, pipe fitter, welder, or any of the other skilled trades keeps their nose clean works all the hours they can, so they can take their masters test, the overall money they will make over a life time is a wash compared to a professional engineer and a master tradesmen. Lots of articles can back that statement up, it really comes down to how many hours the master tradesmen will have to work to make up for the engineers increase in salary around 5 to 7 years out of college.
Not every story is the same and it really comes down to many different aspects to ones life goals when choosing a career, there's absolutely nothing wrong with getting a degree that's 2 or 4 years again it comes down to each person individually. You can have a 4 year degree in engineering and have absolutely no idea what real world construction experience is because in all actuality that paper really only gets you in the door over someone who doesn't.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hmmm nope all this talk about grants research education blah blah blah makes me think yer all a bunch a blue hair tax wastin liberals we don’t need grants n if covid and cwd taught us anything its that education n research aint real it’s a big scam tell ya what all ya need is some boots n a strong pound some nails dig some holes cash yet check bout time we got rid of all these fancy office jobs anyway
Do you have informative articles you can use to back up your statements?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you have informative articles you can use to back up your statements?

Nah, he's just trolling. If he is actually that confused, perhaps he should shy away from using anything science and engineering has brought the human race for a week or two. You know, things like modern electronics that are useful for posting on outdoors websites, refrigeration, television, glass, concrete, etc.

Average_NDA_Member

Hmmm nope only believe the things I agree with no research or articles necessary I think we all learned a little lesson with covid and cwd and that’s don’t trust the science it’s all bs follow the money tell ya what

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Probably best to withhold judgment for now, wait until they are 55 and nearing retirement. I've had a good number of years in both blue and white collar positions, there are positives and negatives with both, but it is more common to be hampered by age-related, or repetitive motion injuries in the blue collar occupations.

Your white collar nephew needs a new employer, same field or not. Electricians make good money, but not double what a decent paying white collar position pays.
I'll agree that my white collar nephew needs a new job. The electrician however, if he continues as he is, will out earn in the long run I think. He is investing about 40% of his pay each month and said it was all on auto payment to his financial advisor. He is in the process of studying for his master electrician and when he gets that he plans on starting his own business. Has the business plan already finished. Both of them are exceptional men, but with the earlier investing it will be interesting to see who retires first so to speak.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hmmm nope only believe the things I agree with no research or articles necessary I think we all learned a little lesson with covid and cwd and that’s don’t trust the science it’s all bs follow the money tell ya what
Nope you would be misinformed bud, grants, though a small percentage of funding is one of the biggest asset to all areas of scientific research done by college under grads and private labs.

As far as cwd is concerned, that again is wrong in your assumptions that research is a waste of time. I would wager a dollar that hnmunder funding is the main issue with new developments into understanding the prions. As far as the coof again that was a bio engineered virus that was developed by rogue members of the federal government with the help of the ccp. You can't make an argument that research area is a waste because of what a handle full of evil people did to the world.

You should look up how much funding it takes to do research and how long the process is before that research can be used by people. Like i said if it wasn't for grants, non profit groups, private firms, philanthropy and government funding nothing would get solved. Anyone want to guess what actual percentage grants funding is for total research?

Average_NDA_Member

All I know lunkerslayer is if there is science being done and published n I don’t agree with theyre outcome then it’s 100% liberal waste of money junk science tell ya what

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
All I know lunkerslayer is if there is science being done and published n I don’t agree with theyre outcome then it’s 100% liberal waste of money junk science tell ya what
That's fine, I am also another open minded individual that doesn't agree with all research. And yes there is in fact a lot of money wasted in research, but you have heard the expression that you must break some eggs to make an omelet. Same goes with research and if some individuals are will to waste grant funding on such research, who am I to say what is the right research money should be used.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honestly, I don't know why more folks aren't pushing their kids to get an education for work in the oil and gas industry...Highschool kids can go complete the Process Plant Tech Program at BSC and get an associates degree in 2 years or less and start out making $70k/year for base pay at most midstream operators/gas plants in western ND... Add in the bonuses and the overtime that pretty much all plants offer because operations requires coverage and these young folks can hit the $100k/ year mark pretty damned easily... On top of that, the schedule is usually pretty dang nice too... nothing better than making that kind of money and only having to work for 6 months out of the year(plus overtime if they choose)....

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honestly, I don't know why more folks aren't pushing their kids to get an education for work in the oil and gas industry...Highschool kids can go complete the Process Plant Tech Program at BSC and get an associates degree in 2 years or less and start out making $70k/year for base pay at most midstream operators/gas plants in western ND... Add in the bonuses and the overtime that pretty much all plants offer because operations requires coverage and these young folks can hit the $100k/ year mark pretty damned easily... On top of that, the schedule is usually pretty dang nice too... nothing better than making that kind of money and only having to work for 6 months out of the year(plus overtime if they choose)....
Hard to be the big boss with only a 2 year degree. If you are fine being at the bottom your whole career then a 4 year degree is not needed.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nope you would be misinformed bud, grants, though a small percentage of funding is one of the biggest asset to all areas of scientific research done by college under grads and private labs.

As far as cwd is concerned, that again is wrong in your assumptions that research is a waste of time. I would wager a dollar that hnmunder funding is the main issue with new developments into understanding the prions. As far as the coof again that was a bio engineered virus that was developed by rogue members of the federal government with the help of the ccp. You can't make an argument that research area is a waste because of what a handle full of evil people did to the world.

You should look up how much funding it takes to do research and how long the process is before that research can be used by people. Like i said if it wasn't for grants, non profit groups, private firms, philanthropy and government funding nothing would get solved. Anyone want to guess what actual percentage grants funding is for total research?
NDSU would lose their R1 research status if they weren’t the states land grant university that automatically gets all of the ag research funding without having to compete for the funding

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've also been a part of both sides of the job fields when we are talking about blue and white collar jobs. When I had enough of the construction field in a trade of a carpenter, I decided that the only way I was going to make more money was start my own business or find a different trade.

So I decided the fastest way to do that was to go back to school for 2 years, worked for a surveyor until he decided he made enough money and retired. I didn't have enough hours to take my pls,so I went to work for an engineering firm. As a company that consolidates construction projects, the company gets payed by what degree you have plus years, they had excellent benefits but pay was shit compared to the actual work that I did compared to even those engineers who only had a FE status, they boosted ones salary almost 20 percent over a tech with 4 or 5 years experience. That got old being that I was 10+ years older then these guys who had a God complex, granted no every engineer was like that bit the majority did.

So I decided to go back to the construction side you work way more hours on the construction side and for a very small window of time around 6 months, but the overall benefits and the work atmosphere for me is top notch since I only have to worry about myself since I run an asphalt lab. if a master plumber, electrician, pipe fitter, welder, or any of the other skilled trades keeps their nose clean works all the hours they can, so they can take their masters test, the overall money they will make over a life time is a wash compared to a professional engineer and a master tradesmen. Lots of articles can back that statement up, it really comes down to how many hours the master tradesmen will have to work to make up for the engineers increase in salary around 5 to 7 years out of college.
Not every story is the same and it really comes down to many different aspects to ones life goals when choosing a career, there's absolutely nothing wrong with getting a degree that's 2 or 4 years again it comes down to each person individually. You can have a 4 year degree in engineering and have absolutely no idea what real world construction experience is because in all actuality that paper really only gets you in the door over someone who doesn't.
Most civil PE’s will never make that much money unless they own the company. It’s only worse for civil surveyors and non PE’s. I would never recommend anyone to be a civil engineer.

I do like it that non engineers complain about engineers and how they leap frog the workers who never got a degree. Anyone can go to engineering school, if you want the same benefits as engineers then go to engineering school. This is how every industry works. Engineers are the top in most companies and are primed to be climbing the management level. If you are fine being at the bottom your whole career then don’t go be an engineer. Also its is much less stressful to not be in management, in some cases the extra money isn’t worth it.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most civil PE’s will never make that much money unless they own the company. It’s only worse for civil surveyors and non PE’s. I would never recommend anyone to be a civil engineer.

I do like it that non engineers complain about engineers and how they leap frog the workers who never got a degree. Anyone can go to engineering school, if you want the same benefits as engineers then go to engineering school. This is how every industry works. Engineers are the top in most companies and are primed to be climbing the management level. If you are fine being at the bottom your whole career then don’t go be an engineer. Also its is much less stressful to not be in management, in some cases the extra money isn’t worth it.
Sounds like you got a good grasp on engineers. Why are so many socially awkward weirdos? Dont know how much stress you have blaming everyone else they did it wrong

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds like you got a good grasp on engineers. Why are so many socially awkward weirdos? Dont know how much stress you have blaming everyone else they did it wrong
I've worked with a ton of them over the years and for the most part this is very accurate. Very smart, very awkward!

NodakBob

Honored Member
New engineer grads are getting $70-80k stating out. Tested the waters by getting a marketable skill with a two year degree to see if school was for me ( kind of known for bucking the system) …but I wanted more out of life…I wanted to be that guy in the neighborhood with all the toys (boat, bike, hottie, camper etc) so I could see I needed at least a four yr degree and a lot of nose to the grindstone to get ahead. I did both, lived in 11 North Dakota towns while working my way thru NDSU. It wasn’t the easy route when my buddies were fishing every weekend while I was inspecting a paving crew…but it paid off in the end and retired early.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've worked with a ton of them over the years and for the most part this is very accurate. Very smart, very awkward!
speaking of awkward, try chilling with a IT guy, they are also no fun. HR could just as well be the boogie man.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hard to be the big boss with only a 2 year degree. If you are fine being at the bottom your whole career then a 4 year degree is not needed.
You are likely right on most situations, however here in the Queen city, most of my tech grad buddies own their respective business, and make double what the insurance/banker/engineer is bringing in.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 28