Thanks Little Minneapolis

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Proposed new gun legislation from Karla Rose Hanson with support by the West Fargo Police Chief.

HB1537, introduced by Rep. Karla Rose Hanson (D-Fargo), is a complicated piece of policy.

The crux of it, however, is creating a process whereby a given person’s firearms can be removed from their possession if a family member or a member of law enforcement signs an affidavit saying the person is dangerous.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
She would fit right in on the other side of the river. She should go there permanently.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
Didn't think that would hit ND for years but someone has to have their agenda...... WTF are these people thinking..... or is it just that they arent?

Radar13

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think I heard this passed in a state out east, And a guy got turned in from a fella that hated him, when the police kicked in the door during the middle of the night to confiscate his firearms, the guy was woke up with the sound of his door getting kicked in when he came from his bedroom with a handgun to investigate the noise. the police shot him, I don't recall where I heard this, but it will be messed up if this would pass

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ripe for abuse by ex wives, pissed off girlfriends, or over zealous law enforcement

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll bet this is a surprise to those that voted for her.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think this is a real thing in a dozen states. Make it a crime to file an affidavit without enough proof and watch the pissed off exes go to jail in droves.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ripe for abuse by ex wives, pissed off girlfriends, or over zealous law enforcement

Yeah not to mention a dick head neighbor or just a lefty a-hole who hates hunting or guns. You can bet someone who has an axe to grind will use this if it passes.

drivenmarine.net

Founding Member
Founding Member
Might want to read the entire bill before freaking out. It is not just as simple as saying I think he is dangerous, take his guns. Think about your sister or daughter in a dangerous relationship. The asshole probably shouldn't have guns at the time this is going on. How about a depressed relative that has threatened suicide? Just saying look at things before freaking out and saying OMG they want all of our guns and are going to ban hunting next.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
drivenmarine,

Are you saying that people with restraining orders or with a history of domestic violence are currently allowed to have firearms?

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
This bill would allow punishment before a crime is committed what ever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Might want to read the entire bill before freaking out. It is not just as simple as saying I think he is dangerous, take his guns. Think about your sister or daughter in a dangerous relationship. The asshole probably shouldn't have guns at the time this is going on. How about a depressed relative that has threatened suicide? Just saying look at things before freaking out and saying OMG they want all of our guns and are going to ban hunting next.
Yeah well you better think about the ramifications if something like this passes too. There are currently laws in place to deal with situations you mentioned. Do you think it's OK to take someone's rights away if they have done nothing wrong? Yes it's unfortunate that someone should actually have to commit a crime before losing their rights but I would much rather live in a country like that then one where the government can just start stripping your rights because someone said you were a bad person. Do you see what kind of slippery slope that could create?

eseamands

Founding Member
Founding Member

I agree with this to some extent. Not to play the Devil's advocate, but I believe the bill states that the individual would have to be deemed dangerous. If the person had charges of domestic violence or sexual abuse already, do we really want that particular person to have guns with the potential to harm with those guns. If they shot someone or themselves, wouldn't that be much more detrimental to the public opinion on guns and gun ownership in the long run? It's not like the person who gets them confiscated can't get them back.

However, I hope it wouldn't open up too broad of a snatch and grab by anyone (ex gfs, overzealous LE, etc like Obi-Wan stated).

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 184
  • This month: 132
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 100
  • This month: 94
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 64