That guy

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Was it me or was it them.....? As some of you know from the area that at lake darling the Grano bridge is a good place to fish. Got on the lake at noon today after it stopped raining and fished by the bridge the whole time, there is a sign on the bridge to tell boaters that ther is no fishing within 100 ft of the bridge... why idk... we fished next to the bridge while others fished from shore and had no problems or funny looks from any of the shore fisherman until THAT GUY showed up with his buddy and decided to cast ther jigs literally rite next to my boat, and yell "if I can cast that far your to close to the bridge " idk what the wind was today but I know with my back to the wind I can cast pretty far.... casting next to my boat and having ther jigs land 5 ft away don't bother me much...... after them yelling that I was within 100 ft of the bridge I used my curser on the graph and scrolled over to the bridge and I was 170 ft away.... the part that made me mad was when they started casting and hitting my boat.... one landed in my boat next to my buddy by his leg only 2 ft away from another friends head that was sitting in the seat tying his line..... which was kind of convenient cause they had a scissors nearby and let me tell you that the guy on the bridge didn't go home with that jig..... guy on the bridge buddy casted over my boat and got snagged on my windshield... that guy didn't go home with that jig either.... then the guy told me to fawk off for clipping his line..... we in the boat never said one word to these guys the whole time.... bridge guys just showed up and started casting at us immediately, nobody else fishing from the shore yelled at us or gave us dirty looks.... just these guys. So after they re tied ther line they continued to cast at us getting within 5 ft of the boat so i decided to just leave that area and fish the other side of the bridge on the north side.....i know on some lakes fishing gets tight and lines get tangled.... but when you got guys whipping 1/2 oz jigs at you cause they think I'm to close to the bridge, I think that is ridiculous.... wouldn't have been a good day if that guy on the bridge would have hit us in the head or snagged one of us, or busted the windshield on my boat.... i wanted to park my boat rite on the 100 ft mark and tell that guy this is where the 100 ft mark is and gps don't lie.... but i didn't want to ag him on...So who was in the wrong? Was it me fishing 150-170 ft from the bridge or was it that guy?

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Guess you didn't see the sign that said" that guy" owned the water that your boat was in.

Watchyourownbobber

Founding Member
Founding Member
Regardless of who was right or wrong that is a ridiculous way for them to act. It's like anything else, 99% of people are good and fine to fish near but like you said, he was "that guy". You were fine, good on you for staying calm. Catch any fish?

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Regardless of who was right or wrong that is a ridiculous way for them to act. It's like anything else, 99% of people are good and fine to fish near but like you said, he was "that guy". You were fine, good on you for staying calm. Catch any fish?

Um no we did not catch anything but did see allot of nice eyes caught from the people on shore before the 2 yah hoos showed up... which was nice to see some nice fish being caught....but after that guy showed up it was hard for me to find my time enjoyable so after fishing the north side of the bridge for 15-20 min we just left and went home... south side of the bridge was a nice wind break too... before we left another boat was coming and we warned the boat of the guys up top on the bridge.... these guys up top weren't kids they were 45-55 years old and you think they would know better than that..... and then get mad at me for cutting ther line after snagging my windshield and hitting my buddy in the leg

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keeping ones temper in check is extremely important here. They were clearly in the wrong and as such it would be difficult for me to keep my temper in check, but this is what I would have done. I would have taken out my phone and started to video them when they were casting toward me and narrating the video as to who was casting and where the casts were landing. I'd let the guys know I was taking the video and that the video would be used at their trial while letting them know I was not breaking any laws being where I was and asking them to stop. I would have had another guy in the boat call the sheriff and have them send a car as we was being assaulted by shore fishermen with hooks and lead weights and were preparing to defend ourselves. When the deputies arrived, I would have emailed the video to my home, made contact with the deputies, handed over my phone for them to view, and identified the assailants. I would have also mentioned that my depth finder has a gps plotter that clearly shows the location of the boat when I was assaulted and that I was NOT violating any posted signs or laws at the time of the incident and they were more than welcome to see that as well and let the deputies take it from there. Modern technology negates many of the situations that previously required physical confrontations and can provide mountains of evidence in such instances that can prove useful in preventing such events in the future. I think watching these guys being taken away for assault would not only be justice, but poetic justice. Glad you kept your cool. Fishing is supposed to be fun.

Velva_zv21

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What I shoulda done instead of cut his line I shoulda tied it to one of my docking clevis and drove off and yanked the rod rite out of his hands because he wouldn't of had time to cut the line but sit and watch the line peel off the spool.. till yank and poof its gone... lol

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Like has already been said...99% of people who fish...from shore or in a boat, are courteous and willing to help others out. Unfortunate this happened, but good on you for remaining calm.

Established Member
I had a guy at beaver last 4th tell every one to go around him as he was under the beaver bay bridge casting jigs and yelling at anyone who went under the bridge I told him to go get bent he was in and 18ft ranger angler with 3 guys in the boat acting like they were the shit and no one could come around them. what I should have done is broke my oar over his pea brain, casting jigs in a major water way on the 4th of July if I had it to do over again I would have stopped and kicked his ass,,,, I bet he voted Obama

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Depending on who was in the boat with me it could have been a replay of D-day invasion. You are cool under pressure.

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
Way to keep your cool. If you were outside of 100ft (I assume they put that sign there for the shore fishermen), I would have called the warden for sure.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would of moved outside the firing range --- then smiled and started hooking incoming with my 40pound test pp.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why does there always have to be that one guy or that one group that has to be ass hats?
I have always tried to be the get along type but after so long my dander would get stirred up and the shit hit the fan so to speak.
As i have said before when things needed to be handled diplomatically (spell?) my wife or brother would go, when things needed to be settled in a not so diplomatic way, they would send me. I tried to be nice but after so long my fuse was all used up and i guess you put the baby to bed so to speak! Believe me i am not saying that i was tough or anything i could hold my own and there were a few times i finished LAST in fight involving 2 people! Nobody was going to walk all over me or my family without a little "discussion" so to speak.
Now i am just a crippled old geezer that enjoys life all the i can and all that the good Lord will allow .

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is always people like this. I try to understand what make them like that the only thing i can come up with is brain damage plain and simple.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back up to the shore, trim up, and hammer down! Nothing like a horse power shower to send someone packing! In all honesty I'm not sure what I would have done but it wouldn't have involved "peaceful protest"!

Last edited:

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member
The grano bridge is a magnet to assholes of the fishing world.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why don't you tell the whole story? You guys were on the north side of the bridge so we went to the south side. You guys were the only ones on the north side but decided to come on the south side and put your boat right where we were casting and catching fish. We were on the north side on Friday but when we got there decided to go on the south side to leave you guys alone. So yes it kind of upset us when you came over and screwed us over.

I wonder if it wasn't Sowhunter?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 28