Time for a new grill....suggestions?

frozen4sioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
It right time to get a new grill to char the flesh of the beasts of field and sea upon.

Had a Weber spirit that worked ok but rusted apart and always had hot spots.

Anyone have thoughts on a reasonably priced propane grill ( under $650ish)

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bought a Holland 20 years ago for around $600 and still works as the day I bought it. Cooks like an oven however. no direct flame. Cooks at about 400 degree F. Use it year around except when I can't get it out of the wind which is seldom. Generally :10 a side for steaks, burgers and sausage patties. :20 a pound for whole chicken...........

ice head

Founding Member
Founding Member
A lot of guys I know are going with Traeger grills, don't have one myself yet but the way they carry on about how great they are I think I'm going to have to get one.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a green mountain pellet grill and it's amazing!!

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Weber Genesis is a must have to your grilling arsenal, however if you do not want to drop that much cabbage in one shot, believe me I get it was on the fence for the last 3-5 years finally bit the bullet and absolutely love it…however my compromise a few years back was a Kenmore with all stainless steel grates and burners, I think they have a 10 year warranty on the burners…I still have this grill and love it…not quite as bulletproof as the Weber but at half the cost it was well worth it

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whatever you buy, I highly recommend going with an infrared unit. They cook better than any grill I've used...hot, hot, hot. The grates get a little messy since there is not place for the garbage to fall, I just pop them out and feed it to the dog (he likes that).

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
Love my Rec Tec pellet grill. Works great for smoking and grilling. If interested in a pellet grill, do your research first. Hours of research for me led me to a Rec Tec...

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
What rusted apart on the Weber that you couldn't replace?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am in the market too, but decided to wait till next spring.
I use a charcoal grill on my high end meats, and the Kenmore gas grill on burgers, brats, and anything that I have previously smoked and am just finishing off.

MossyMo I think is the expert, so his advice should be sought.

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had previously had a Kenmore and was a great grill for about 9 years until the burners went. I then priced out the parts and it was over $200 so I ordered a Charbroil off Amazon for $200. The Charbroil cooks way better and gets a lot hotter for less then half the money. I also was sold on a Traeger until I spoke to a guy who has one and learned they take a bit to heat up. I have kids and when they want a dog burnt quick time matters. I still want a Traeger though for the flavor they put out.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Weber genesis for me. Looking at pellet grills and rec tec has me interested. Pellets but out great flavor, and seem to be super easy to use.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
We grill year round, so do these big egg, and pellet grills do the trick.
I too want to purchase a "final" grill. Spend a bit now, and likely not purchase again type of scenario.

My dad does not grill as much as we do, however his Weber is over 25 years old.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
i just got the broil king baron 440s and love it.

i had just returned the char broil 2015 all stainless model. it sucked. similar size to the baron (technically more grilling surface) but 40+ lbs lighter (if i remember right). CHEAP feel all around. and hot spots galore.

make sure whatever you get you get heavy cast iron grates. they retain heat, get piping hot, and leave perfect gill marks on the food.

broil kings burner plates are kind of a hybrid infrared/standard plate ***in my opinion.*** they block/disperse/spread a lot of the flame, but i can get the flame touching my food if i want it.

tru infrared is SMOKEY, like, BIG TIME and you really do have to clean the flame blockers often (what i consider often).

remember, if the flame never touches the food, you're just baking.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_525684-65173-922564___?productId=50381182&pl=1&Ntt=broil+king+baron

you

Last edited:

Radar13

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not the price you were looking to spend, but we have the green egg. I use a MagTorch witch runs off the little propane bottles. The torch is the size of a walking cane and works great. The first time I used it we cooked steaks. I lit the Egg and went to my truck for a few minutes and when I came back it was only 375 degrees, I couldn't get it to heat any higher. I thought the temp gauge was messed up so I decided to cook my steaks. I cook my steaks around 500 degrees for 5 1/2 minutes per side. So when it was only 375 temp I cooked them for 8 min per side, these steaks were like leather. I closed the grill vents to let it smother out and when the temp was dropping on the grill I noticed I spun the dial past 800 degrees and back up to 375, that's why it would not get any hotter. Totally ruined my steaks. Since then I have baked brownies, cookies, and bread. Pizzas are awesome. I bought a cyber Q for my Egg now it digitally controls my temp. I can fill the Egg with charcoal at night and cook brisket all night and be ready the next day. My cyber Q is wireless so I can watch and adjust my temp from my phone. It's pretty sweet.

Newgard

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a Rec Tec 680 this spring and it is a great pellet grill. Very impressed with the quality of the unit and the quality of the food. You do have to order direct from them or Amazon. I ordered mine direct from them to avoid the sales tax.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
A weber genesis 330 is around $900, what would one of these pellet grills set me back? I now have a deck off of my dinning room, this is where I will be placing my grill. So I don't want something that needs to be hosed out, or takes aggressive cleaning, as my deck is 10 feet off the ground, and the only way off the deck is through the house. So its in a location that I don't want to have to move it around or use a pressure washer on it.

Looks like mrs johnr is getting us a new grill for a Christmas present to us, so any suggestions on a clean easy grill would be great. I have a smoker, and a charcoal grill, so I am just looking or a good quality easy to use, burger, brat, steak, chicken, griller.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
You might want to look up either traeger or Louisiana grills. I believe they both have different models/sizes/prices to choose from.
I don't have either of them but have heard all the hype on these and may take the plunge when my current plain jane sears model bites the dust..i think mine is Kenmore.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a weber genesis 14 years ago and have had to replace the sparker and grates once. I have a weber silver 3 burner at the lake I saw a farmer throw it away. I picked it up and bought grates for it. I don't think I will have to buy another grill.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77