Tips for the Tailrace

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey fellas, for those of you who have fished the tailrace, what advice would you give to someone who's really never fished there? A successful trip for me would be:

1. Don't hit any rocks with the motor.
2. Catch a fish or 2.

I've only been there once and that was with a friend. We were pulling up to a spot and he said to drop the anchor. I let it out over the bow and it quickly goes THUD! I look down and there's a boulder that was bigger than an F'n cargo van! I asked how deep we were and he said 12 feet. The anchor was sitting in about 2 feet. That still has me nervous about going there.

He had fished there and caught plenty of fish in the past so he knew what he was doing but we got skunked that day. He said fish can be extremely finicky when it comes to jig size and color.

Anyways, I'd really appreciate any help.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
BUy an old boat, launch from UPA ramp, point the bow north, bang into stuff until you have a line down.

Last edited:

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
My advise to you was going to be don't look into the water as it will scare the hell out of you, but you already have done that.

nybs

Honored Member
Try a 3-way rig with 1oz+ Weight on a mono leader about 1- 2’ long. Then try a husky jerk with slightly longer leader...hopefully you’ll lose more of the cheap lead weights than raps. Have also used a heavy jig and big white power bait tail & gulp.

i havent anchored there...just ran near the line and drifted back. Definitely not relaxing the first time running your boat but hopefully you have success.

good luck!

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
My advise to you was going to be don't look into the water as it will scare the hell out of you, but you already have done that.

When the water is clear and low it's quite the reality check. Ha ha. I took my wife there one time all the way to just North of Stanton. Watching giant trees and rock slip by below us didn't make her too relaxed.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
When the water is clear and low it's quite the reality check. Ha ha. I took my wife there one time all the way to just North of Stanton. Watching giant trees and rock slip by below us didn't make her too relaxed.

Amen. That area turns into Riverfibbers nightmare about 4 miles north

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Want to see some spooky, dangerous rocks, go up in northern Canada, those rocks will scare the crap out of you, especially when the guides give you 10 minutes in the water and your dead

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys aren't helping much. Instead of easing my fears, you're raising them!

I'll just have to take it extremely slow for quite awhile until I learn it. Those rocks just scare me...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84