Tire Question

Wallike

★★★ Legendary Member
My mom recently called me and asked why the tire dealer said she needed to put on 4 new tires on her Ford Escape when only one had an issue. The first thing I thought of was this dealer was trying to pad the sale. My mom is 86 and on a fixed income and the dealer knows this. I've checked around and most tire dealers say they won't replace just one bad tire, even if they can match the tire exactly.

I'm reaching out to the NDA experts on their thoughts. What do you all think of this sales strategy?

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
If it’s an all wheel drive they will only replace the one tire if it’s within certain tolerances. Must be hard on the drive train.

I’m not an expert just had this happen last week on my rig.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Over the years of my life and at one time not having many monies i replaced one tire many of times especially if the other one was still in good shape. And with another used tire.

Normally all 4 were shot but hard enough money wise to buy one.
And we all survive.
Today i really do need to replace at least the two back tires on my dodge but will get all four at a cost of 1400. In the last few months had to replace four tires on my other dodge and four on my wives Buick (awd) but only did two. Took a long road to get here. db

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
Having 1 new tire with full tread, even if it is the same model, can be tough on the drive train of a vechile. Especially on something that is all wheel drive. If it 2wd you can get away with putting a new tire on the non drive axle. If it is selectable 4wd put it on the free spinning axle.

This is all according my a buddy who works on drive trains. He claims tires should always be replaced in pairs

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
the boy blew a tire, all need replacing on his 2011 F150, I just replaced the shittiest one, and put it on the drive wheel.

Tire guy told me I was nuts, but WTF ever, its only in town driving, and the physics of it all make sense in my salesman brain.

He will be getting one more new one, as he has a second shit tire not holding air. I will then have both new tires on the front for better steering control.

30 years ago, as a broke kid I would replace one at a time all the time, on all different kinds of shitwagon vehicles I ran.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Time is way to important to be mucking about with something so easily negated as good tires.

A "road car/SUV/pickup" that sees little to no gravel and running in the non-snow/slippery time of the year, I have no issue running down close or to the wear bars. Anything that sees regular gravel or with fall winter upon us, well, I throw-away/give away tires a lot of folks would run for 10K-15K more miles.

Yes, one can still get punctures and/or have a blow-out but you certainly stack the odds in your favor with tires in good shape. "Go" is pretty much never a problem with FWD/AWD/4WD. Turning and stopping is where good tires really shine.

Blizzaks went on this morning, like driving on suction-cups, even on ice and packed snow.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
This must be an AWD, if its FWD, just put the new tire on the rear, if its RWD put the new tire on the front. Best bet is to find a used tire that is the same size and the same CIRCUMFERENCE. Thats where the real problem comes from, if you have 3 tires that 100 inches around and you put a new one one thats 103 inches around, it can cause issues with the drivetrain. I think some places have the ability to cut the tread down on a new tire to match the rest of the tires also. If they are saying she NEEDS it replaced, it must have damage that is unrepairable, like damage to the sidewall or a hole that is too big to patch... Some tire places are bitches now, they wont put studded tires JUST ON THE FRONT, or rear, they insist on doing all 4. admittedly if you put studded tires on the front and not on the rear, you need to be careful because you could spin your car more easily if you brake hard when turning or on a curve, but if you are aware of it and careful, ive never had issues with it. Private/local tire places are more likely to be helpful/flexible than corporate ones like walmart or sams club.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I know someone that is currently replacing transfer case and differential due to only replacing one bad tire then using 4 Auto on icy interstate.

AWD vehicles definitely need matching tires. Furthermore, AWD vehicles often have specific requirements and procedures for using a donut size spare tire such as only placing on one axle and disabling AWD until the donut is replaced.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I should have mentioned on 4x4 vehicles, as mentioned above, you dont wnat different sized tires. Really the most economical option for your mom is to go to a place that keeps and sells used tires and have them replace the damaged tire with one that is the SAME or nearly same circumference.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ford AWD systems can be ran with tires of different wear by no more than 4/32" tread difference. This is assuming that the tires are matching make and model. If replacing, I would recommend at least 2 and make sure they match make and model as what is on the vehicle. Otherwise all 4 will need to be replaced due to damage to the PTU (power transfer unit).

Different make and model tires are not always the same size even though they have the same size printed on the tire. The rolling diameter can be different by a slight amount.

Bauer

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is a place off main ave in Bismarck that has nothing but used tires, hundreds of them, my dad was able to go there, have them measure the tire circumference and tread depth and find a same brand tire with the same specs to replace some belting that let go on the sidewall.
I can concur, that running different circumference tires will take out AWD or 4WD so there is truth to what they are saying.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The wives Buick after 45000 miles had bald tires in front and it appeared good thread on back (so goes tire rotation for me). Put two new tires up front.
Measure and 28" diameter, if I did the numbers right a circumference of 87.96".
If 27.75" diameter a circumference of 87.14" or a difference of .82". Seems like a lot and if both tires are working together, it will put a strain on something. Correct me if numbers not right.

In my youth only had rear driven and then only one tire as shown by the black strip on the payment. Buick is awd. I assume the front and back are independent of each other unless i push the button for awd. I will also assume, either both front or both back are hook together with each other. Not like my cars of old.

Question are you getting screw. No idea but an 86-year-old mother who still drives and besides the monies i would get two tires if they are well worn. I assume she drives little but would still get two for either front or rear.

After i got new tires up front, the gauge shows 40# up front and 33# in back. I would assume that can be an issue also.
If it was not so cold would mark the tires and then drive to see. Maybe one of the youths on here will check that out. db

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69