Tires

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder if these are going to be a good tire considering those who like the at3w tire.
https://www.falkentire.com/community/wildpeak-at4w-announcement
I have ran the wildpeak mts on 2 vechiles and both have held up well to gravel and stock trailer use. I saw they released a wildpeak rt. I'm thinking that'll be my next set. Not nearly as aggressive and more of a "commercial" type thread. My old man has ran the at3w and they have not held up well to gravel and stock trailer use

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have ran the wildpeak mts on 2 vechiles and both have held up well to gravel and stock trailer use. I saw they released a wildpeak rt. I'm thinking that'll be my next set. Not nearly as aggressive and more of a "commercial" type thread. My old man has ran the at3w and they have not held up well to gravel and stock trailer use
Thanks for the reply, I to travel a lot of gravel as well as pulling a camper in the summer. I need a set of tires that will stand up to the abuse that gravel does, heck you can't even claim road hazard warranty if you travel gravel consistently.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of ppl love the AT3W. I do not. I had a set on a Suburban and had to replace one tire the first year because of a sidewall issue, and they wore quick. Daily gravel use.
I have good luck with the toyo open country at, that did stand up to the traveling on gravel roads, especially the gravel road out west in regards to wash boards. I really do hate making decisions on buying tires because there is never a tire that would be considered an all around good tire for all circumstances.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the reply, I to travel a lot of gravel as well as pulling a camper in the summer. I need a set of tires that will stand up to the abuse that gravel does, heck you can't even claim road hazard warranty if you travel gravel consistently.
I'd look at the cooper discover ST Maxx.

Just swipe the card and don't look at the price

grumster

★★★★ Legendary Member
I'd look at the cooper discover ST Maxx.

Just swipe the card and don't look at the price
I've ran Cooper tires in the past and when I say past 20+ years ago and I understand things change but I wasn't impressed, I got no life out of them. As said there isn't one tire that does all, I run two sets OEM's for the summer and BF Goodrich AT's in the winter. I find this is the best solution for me.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you heard of Cooper tires having problems with holding air, the local tire shop said he has dealt with Cooper tires not holding air.
I haven't heard anything too terrible. But up until last week my newest vechile was 20 years old so I have always had what seems to be a slow leaker due to corrosion around valve stems or the beads. Guess it's not a big deal for me since I tend to air down my tires some when in not hauling/pulling

woodduck30

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I used to run BFG's. Tried cooper at3 about 8 years ago and haven't bought another brand. I get about 65,000 miles a set. I think they are slightly better. But the price is considerably better.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've ran Cooper tires in the past and when I say past 20+ years ago and I understand things change but I wasn't impressed, I got no life out of them. As said there isn't one tire that does all, I run two sets OEM's for the summer and BF Goodrich AT's in the winter. I find this is the best solution for me.
I thinking about doing the same, especially since I'm probably going to stick with ford. Buy another set of rims and put on some winter tires and keep a set for summer. I had a set of cooper's on my dodge dakota the discoverer at3, great tires for long lasting life of tread, but absolutely useless on ice. There was another guy here that was also a tire guy who made a comment that copper had tweaked thier compound to make the tires a little better on snow and ice. The company trucks all use the bf Goodrich tko, but they don't get even close to any milage that bf claims, i never understood manufacturers claim they can get with mileage especially if you are using an all terrain tire. What the point of claiming an all terrain if you can't use them on gravel and the soft rubber of the bf wear out quick when traveling on gravel. I do see the point on the cooper max st especially if they are a mud terrain tire since they are designed with a tougher compound.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Original toyo at for me were absolutely junk and spent an arm and a leg for them..hope the new versions are better.
Dynapro were junk
Cooper at3 I thought were decent for what I paid.
BFG KO AT hands down the best tire I have owned...pricey but the best.
Good year wrangler..expensive and junk..only time they were good was completely dry pavement..very similar to the toyo in my opinion. These are just my OPINION....I get other people will not agree. But these are the brands I have run and my experience with them.
Never had an air issue with the coopers. Holding air to me would be more of an issue with corrosion on an aluminum rim....
Last set of BF had 60k when I bought a new set and there was still plenty of tread left on them. I travel a good amount so I don't want to deal with any bullshit on the road(replace early). I also rotate regularly(6k miles or so).

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you heard of Cooper tires having problems with holding air, the local tire shop said he has dealt with Cooper tires not holding air.
I put the rugged trek on last spring and they have performed really good they replaced the dura tracks a little cheaper and seem to be a quieter going down the high way

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you like the BFG KO, foolish if you don't switch to General Grabber AT. Same tread design, better tire. At least I could get some mileage out of them. BF were junk at 30K

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you like the BFG KO, foolish if you don't switch to General Grabber AT. Same tread design, better tire. At least I could get some mileage out of them. BF were junk at 30K
You know I'm a staunch supporter of the poor man's BF Goodrichs, but the issue is that they aren't as cheap as they used to be for instance a 275/70-18
Bf is 311 and a grabber is 298 on Amazon.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84