TOURNAMENT FEE INCREASE....Game & Fish advisory meeting MONDAY 11/30/2020

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ya the guides are the guys that are profiting the most from a public resource. They're on the bite, and bring in limits of pontoons filled with guys every day. Just look at their websites, pictures of bragging boards filled every day. I would bet one guiding operation kills more fish in a year than one pro tournament. BUT,, I don't believe that on lakes like OAHE,SAK,DEVILS that all anglers combined have any significant impact on fish populations. The science and facts actually say we don't.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m not opposed to tournaments. I’m opposed to the number of them that we have now.

Now there's a position I can agree with. I remember not despising tournaments as a youth. Somewhere, somehow, they are no longer as novel and interesting to me as they are a nuisance.

- - - Updated - - -

Why are there too many? Because when you've had people like me increasingly against them, the question is not serious.

Whats the perfect number? No perfect answer there, but obviously as the number of tournaments grew...the number of anti-tourney anglers has as well. It's a sliding scale.

What is the difference between a tournament or a packed ramp because of a hot bite? The snide comments of "that'd be a money fish if I caught it tomorrow", etc. We all deal with packed ramps during the "hot bite", which may be a few weeks ahead of the tourney. Why would you think we'd like extending the packed ramp scenario even longer than it already exists? Let's face it, there aren't many tourneys scheduled for a given body of water during the slow time of year, rather it's generally during, or at least near, the good times for a given body of water/ramp.

Raising tourney fees is not going to fix crowded ramps. While the few dollars this is going to raise isn't even enough to install a new single lane concrete ramp and parking lot. Is it really going to bankrupt the Governor's Cup?

Raising tourney fees is not going to fix overfishing. True, unless you really look at the survival stats of fish. Tagging studies don't lie. A fish once caught is not likely to ever be caught again, even if it's returned to the water "alive". We all know it's a sliding scale here as well, fish caught shallow and out of cooler water have higher survival rates, but those late summer deep fish are dead as hell, and tourney anglers will go out and catch way more than your average angler looking for a limit of keepers. Hence, they kill FAR more than the catch and keep anglers. That's not even open for debate. Of course, this is a moot point if you are of the opinion the fish has merely been educated and simply lives its life in peace by never biting on a hook again.

Sounds like tourneys are putting the ammenities in at boat ramps. I doubt it.

Why are tourney anglers supposed to pay for the ramps, docks, gravel, trees, fish cleaning stations? I think you are over estimating the impact the $50k(?) will have on amenities. Can we even get two new cleaning stations with that by the time you run electric and water to a ramp?

Why are tourney anglers, who the majority practice catch and release are accused of overfishing a body of water? See above.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Pay the 10% and quit complaining. The reason they are complaining is because the payouts will not be as high. It’s all about the $$$$$. It should not be all about the money and that’s the problem with tournaments!

If they threaten to cancel the big tournaments in ND then so be it. That’s their loss for not having a tourney in the best walleye fishing state in the US. Smaller tournaments will still happen and pay the 10% so why not the big ones!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pay the 10% and quit complaining. The reason they are complaining is because the payouts will not be as high. It’s all about the $$$$$. It should not be all about the money and that’s the problem with tournaments!

If they threaten to cancel the big tournaments in ND then so be it. That’s their loss for not having a tourney in the best walleye fishing state in the US. Smaller tournaments will still happen and pay the 10% so why not the big ones!

best walleye fishing state in America.... that’s a little aggressive it’s good but not 8 pound average Lake Erie good

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
The number of residents dropped by 4k for licenses from 2018 to 2019 -- non residents stayed even at a 19k. I heard alot of bitchin from non resys this year on DL. I actually caught more quality fish this year then last and all i see in the shallows is minnow walleyes so i cant bitch to stock more.

The trend for fishing is downward all over the place. I dont know how covid will have it take - In my opinion i seen less out of staters on the lakes this year - especially from the east.

I think this year people really looked at activities they havent been doing - hunting and fishing was on of them. The sports alone that kids are in vs yesteryear its no wonder the trend is lowering.

- - - Updated - - -

did the NWT cancel ?? i dont see anything on it.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see so many adds for boats where the seller states “just don’t fish enough” or “don’t use it enough” or “got laid off”. So the numbers are going to continue to decrease probably.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
The G and F are getting worse then politicians with the price increases.

- - - Updated - - -

Put on your own private tourneys and don’t tell the G and F. Commie bastards

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Now there's a position I can agree with. I remember not despising tournaments as a youth. Somewhere, somehow, they are no longer as novel and interesting to me as they are a nuisance.

- - - Updated - - -

Why are there too many? Because when you've had people like me increasingly against them, the question is not serious.

Whats the perfect number? No perfect answer there, but obviously as the number of tournaments grew...the number of anti-tourney anglers has as well. It's a sliding scale.

What is the difference between a tournament or a packed ramp because of a hot bite? The snide comments of "that'd be a money fish if I caught it tomorrow", etc. We all deal with packed ramps during the "hot bite", which may be a few weeks ahead of the tourney. Why would you think we'd like extending the packed ramp scenario even longer than it already exists? Let's face it, there aren't many tourneys scheduled for a given body of water during the slow time of year, rather it's generally during, or at least near, the good times for a given body of water/ramp.

Raising tourney fees is not going to fix crowded ramps. While the few dollars this is going to raise isn't even enough to install a new single lane concrete ramp and parking lot. Is it really going to bankrupt the Governor's Cup?

Raising tourney fees is not going to fix overfishing. True, unless you really look at the survival stats of fish. Tagging studies don't lie. A fish once caught is not likely to ever be caught again, even if it's returned to the water "alive". We all know it's a sliding scale here as well, fish caught shallow and out of cooler water have higher survival rates, but those late summer deep fish are dead as hell, and tourney anglers will go out and catch way more than your average angler looking for a limit of keepers. Hence, they kill FAR more than the catch and keep anglers. That's not even open for debate. Of course, this is a moot point if you are of the opinion the fish has merely been educated and simply lives its life in peace by never biting on a hook again.

Sounds like tourneys are putting the ammenities in at boat ramps. I doubt it.

Why are tourney anglers supposed to pay for the ramps, docks, gravel, trees, fish cleaning stations? I think you are over estimating the impact the $50k(?) will have on amenities. Can we even get two new cleaning stations with that by the time you run electric and water to a ramp?

Why are tourney anglers, who the majority practice catch and release are accused of overfishing a body of water? See above.

Actually, if the money was used to put in courtesy docks, that would alieveat crowding. It can't cost too much to put one in at crowded ramps.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha worried about raping and pillaging as the locals fill their freezers, no slot limits(your welcome for the big fish coming back in Oahe) and keeping five a day quit being such pigs and lower the limit to four. #conservation # publiclakeowner

How long did it take you to fertilize all those eggs?

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Or is the real reason that it is no longer easy for just anyone to catch easy limits of walleyes? Many have been spoiled the last few years

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 160
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88