Training collar?

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thinking of upgrading my pup's ecollar.

Suggestions welcome,current but old tri tronics has been great,but after 3 puppers its time to upgrade,so many options,i was surprised that garmin owns tri tronic,good or bad? Another player dogtra,looking for a quality one dog transmitter.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks like this one works. :)
1686135045727.png

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Garmin sport 550. Used it three years now and probably seen more use in a month than most in a year and no problems. That or the dogtra 1900 s would be good. The Garmin pro remote is good for training to big for hunting.

Dryfly36

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been using the Dogtra 2 dog transmitters for almost 20 years. My first set I lost a collar due to my error. I have had the second set for 10+ years. Replaced the batteries a couple of years ago I like the smaller transmitter.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanx for the input guyz,in my area,the garmin tri tonic cater to bear hunters is what im told so im off eye balling the dogtra...,27 levels of stimulation seems over the top tho,i no longer hunt waterfowl on water,maybe 20 years so no need for dogtra waterfowl besides it looks bulky, hopefully my local sport shop has agood selection of dogtra, gotta kick the tires and sniff the paint before spending a bunch of cash for my pup,but young puppers get that selective hearing off lead ,warms my heart when they hear a command and give me the f u look and carry on...if you catch my drift....

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.gundogsupply.com/garmin-tri-tronics-sport-pro.html

The sport 550 is all you need 10 levels of stim, built in light on the collar and bark collar if needed. I dont know who thinks they cater to hounds but garmin is the most used collar from all the pro trainers i have met and in support of dog games .

if i am getting the dogtra its this one https://www.gundogsupply.com/dogtra-1900s-handsfree-plus.html the hands free function is very use full the adjustment is nice with how precise it is. Pete Fisher is a head guy with them in Minnesota so if there is ever problems with it he will take care of you

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanx Kurt,good friend owns a quality high sport shop in my town,not as big as bass pro or sheels but large enough he caters to folks demanding quality merchandise, here in Minnesota and especially Wisconsin Bear hunting with hounds is huge,demand for quailty dog ecollars was over whelming,more so than field collars, so he dropped tri tonics field collars and brought dogtra in,heading over today to take a looksey.

My old tri tonic sport 545 has been great and bullet proof,sounds just like what you described 550.
Small and just a couple of stimulation modes is all i need,simplicity is good.

Thanx for your input đź‘Ť

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well a update incase others are in the hunt.

Eyeballed "dogtra",quality collar but i dont need 27 levels of stimulation, plus i didnt want to re-learn.

Zero'd in on garmin/ tri tonic as my old tri was perfect for 3 puppers over the years.

Decided on sport dog 50,like the updated transmitter, same everything as my old tri tonic,10 settings plus t/v,waterproof...affordable

The step up pro 70 and up,water resistant, not waterproof, but good for multiple collars up to 6.

Garmin /tri tonics, good quality but to my surprise a lanyard or belt clip for transmitter not included.

I think the light beacon on the Collar will be a good upgrade alone on early dark mornings in the field as we setup,plus the 3/4 mile range.

I lost a pup in a section of waist high crp one year for a couple hours,pretty sure pup was on a cripple and had selective memory or collar was spent,bad gut feeling unsure if youll get pupper back.

Found him kenneled up with another group down the road,f ing goldens,everybody is they're friend.lol,just kicked me to the curb.

Last edited:

agriffith

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well a update incase others are in the hunt.

Eyeballed "dogtra",quality collar but i dont need 27 levels of stimulation, plus i didnt want to re-learn.

Zero'd in on garmin/ tri tonic as my old tri was perfect for 3 puppers over the years.

Decided on sport dog 50,like the updated transmitter, same everything as my old tri tonic,10 settings plus t/v,waterproof...affordable

The step up pro 70 and up,water resistant, not waterproof, but good for multiple collars up to 6.

Garmin /tri tonics, good quality but to my surprise a lanyard or belt clip for transmitter not included.

I think the light beacon on the Collar will be a good upgrade alone on early dark mornings in the field as we setup,plus the 3/4 mile range.

I lost a pup in a section of waist high crp one year for a couple hours,pretty sure pup was on a cripple and had selective memory or collar was spent,bad gut feeling unsure if youll get pupper back.

Found him kenneled up with another group down the road,f ing goldens,everybody is they're friend.lol,just kicked me to the curb.
Have a golden, exactly what you said. Everybody's friend and a darn poor watch dog.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 115
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69