Trapping Frogs

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
So....a first for me. Never thought it possible. I set a few minnow traps in a small creek overnight and water was dropping rapidly so when I checked them the end of them were sticking out of the water. Low and behold, when I pulled them up they were loaded with frogs! I'm guessing they were on the migration headed to the mud and found their way into the traps instead. I have a new trick for end of season frogs I guess!! Nice surprise to find river candy and a few suckers/fatheads to boot!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's cool. I was going to say tie a string around a sauger's tail. That's funny because Wags recently posted a pic of a sauger with frog legs protruding from it's mouth.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I saw the pic....like I said, candy any time of the year, but now that the water is cool finally these will hopefully bring some piggy sumos to the end of my rod! I put the traps back out, not thinking they'll do much - must have been perfect timing but a guy can hope!

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is a slough close to me that rises and drops with irrigation. Tossed strap in and had the same thing happen when it had the top part exposed.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Brian - what time of year? I was thinking this was related to the fall migration, but would be an awesome trick if not....as much as I love the outdoors it's a time sink to chase Kermit with a butterfly net.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fastest way to get frogs (other than a lucky minnow trap one day a year) is walking the grass around a slough or a lake with a net and a pillow case.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Paying kids slave wages for to catch them for you seems to work well too....:;:muahaha

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just don't have more the 25 or Mr Green jeans might give you a ticket because of our stupid bait laws. I wonder if it works better part way out because it acts more like a rock for them to crawl on and around for cover. Seen a few spots the last few weeks where a guys could have filled a pickup bed from the ones all over the road.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
ht_frog_crossing_jef_ss_110816_ssh.jpg

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
in the summer my boy and his lake buddies seem to always come back to camp with a bucket full of frogs. I have never fished them in the summer on Sak, but used the heck out of them on the red river back in the mudding days.

Might have to put a day into it next summer and see what happens

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 27
  • This month: 24
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 10
  • This month: 9