Trolling motor issues

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an older Minnkota 48lb thrust 12V trolling motor that I got 2nd (3rd, 4th, 5th, who knows) hand and it seems to lack power. My boat is pretty light/small. It should really move with this thing. Very frustrating.;:;banghead

I pulled the prop off and found abut 1/4" of I think 30lb plus braided line wrapped around it that had to be cut off. Pulled the whole thing apart to check the internals and nothing seemed wrong but I really don't anything about them. The foot pedal works fine, rotates as it should, but I shouldn't have to run this thing at near max power to get it to move against a light wind. Thoughts?

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
What size of boat boat do you have? Some of those older boats are pretty hefty. Also is it the prop in good shape

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
What size of boat boat do you have? Some of those older boats are pretty hefty. Also is it the prop in good shape

An old 16' fiberglass Lund tri-hull. No livewell, no heavy furniture, just a tub in the water with a 25HP Envinrude. It can be easily pushed around my yard on the trailer by just myself. Prop didn't have any obvious dings.

- - - Updated - - -

Get a new battery maybe.

The battery was brand new when this started but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have it load tested.

red eyed devil

Founding Member
Founding Member
electric motors do not like excessive load like having line wrapped around them it can cause damage to bearings and motor windings or it could be a faulty speed control in ur foot pedal

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hi :cool: never been a fan of 12v, with all the new iPilot stuff out there a guy should be able to pick up a decent 24v powerdrive V2 fairly cheap go with a 60+ lbs thrust and don't look back...probably run on speed 3 the whole weekend in your little boat

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's what I got for the time being. I just looked at the amount I have spent on toys/hunting trips this year and it surprised even me. So there will be no purchasing a new toy for now. But yes, my next one will be substantially nicer.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are all the connections clean? On mine if they start getting dirty it starts acting up. Make sure all the brass prongs are nice and shinny.

ElDuderino

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check the foot pedal. I had to take mine apart and clean the magnet contacts that control the speed. Wasn't to bad, just a few screws and it comes apart.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74