Unleaded gas - premium vs regular (non-ethanol gases)

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is hard to do valid MPG tests in a vehicle as there are a lot of variables. I tried to do it with a comparison of regular VS premium unleaded gas in my truck. The premium gave me about 20% higher gas mileage in the limited trial that I did. About the increase in cost at that time between the two grades. Maybe my trial was inaccurate. It sure would be nice if you could do it in a controlled experiment.
About 20 years ago I when we were putting about 380 miles every weekend I did my own evaluation. We got between 2 1/2 to 3 mpg better on the non-ethanol week ends.
Not scientific.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
One of the things that modern computer controlled engines need is consistency in fuel grades. The computers control timing, air/fuel mixture, and ????. As the engine runs, the computer is constantly evaluating the data and will eventually make some minor changes to increase power/efficiency. If you are constantly bouncing back and forth between fuel containing ethanol and fuel without, the engine's computer gets a little frustrated. Worst I have ever seen with this was a damn Dodge van we had at work. We were mandated to use E85 in that POS unless there was no E85 available. It had a lot of trouble starting and running right. We eventually received permission from above to abandon the E85 crap after it was in the shop X number of times and the dealer told us to stop using E85 in their E85 labeled POS.

I will occasionally put the E15 crap in the tank of my 4Runner. It seems to run fine when I do, but I notice (anecdotally anyway) that the economy drops by ~2 MPG.

jdfisherman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Make sure the gas station you go to has a dedicated hose for the non-ethanol gas; otherwise you're getting whatever was in the hose from the last guy.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was told by a mechanic that Stabil shouldn’t be used in boats. Not even the marine formula. So I started using Seafoam then a different mechanic told me that was junk. I’ve had good luck with seafoam though I feel so still use it. So I guess it just proves opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one. I have heard many a mechanic and small engine manufacturer say not to use ethanol in small engines. I’d like to add only use the best synthetic oil in small engines. Cheap two stroke oil has caused me more problems then I believe ethanol ever will. Again just an opinion

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The problem with gas has been going on for years. My bother in law works at Cenex Pipe line terminal in Glendive and all the companies have cut out all the special additives added to help with all these issues. Yes, ethanol is bad more than month. Have not seen 87 no ethanol in Bismarck just 91. Normally when mix certain amount of regular gas with ethanol it pumps octane level up. To get non ethanol 91 up takes another ingredient to do that hence price increase. Big surprise is fuel pushed down big pipe line from Laurel MT to St Paul is all the same for most part. What they add to it once a truck load is going to said gas station is up to them and normally not much. So the gas you buy at different name stations is the same at times. Cenex and Marathon are different for one I know he told me. Diesel fuel is another animal, Cenex has best he said. Mechanic's say SeaFoam is best vs Stabil I have been told too. I even run my 109 octane race fuel mixed with 91 no octane to use it up and all my small toys run really good and start way better too.

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
I have used Stabil and Seafoam and liked Seafoam better so thats all I have used for 20 years never have had an issue and I use in everything from toys to stored vehicles

Colt45

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've always used stabil and never had an issue in my boat and yard equipment, have never even tried seafoam but if it's truly better then I would switch. Why is seafoam better?

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Is Stabil or Seafoam a Glycol-Based Fuel Stabilizer?​

Stabil and Seafoam are two popular fuel stabilizers that are glycol-based. This means that they help to prevent fuel from freezing or gelling in cold weather. They also help to keep fuel fresh and prevent it from breaking down over time.
Both Stabil and Seafoam are highly effective at stabilizing fuel, and they can be used in any type of engine. However, Seafoam is slightly more effective at preventing fuel breakdown, and it also has the added benefit of cleansing the engine and fuel system.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
... Have not seen 87 no ethanol in Bismarck just 91...

There's 87 without ethanol at a few locations around the Bismarck/Lincoln area. I'm pretty sure Cenex in Lincoln has it, because that's at least what I think I'm filling up with out there. Then just today I filled up at the Horizon Market off of North Washington and they had it as well.

I'm kind of a creature of habit, so I just don't stop at many other locations unless it's when I'm out of town.

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Portable gas cans all get filled w/non-ethanol and treated w/Sta-Bil or Sea-Foam.
I do the same but wonder how much ethanol is in the pump hose before receiving the premium 91% for which I paid.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do the same but wonder how much ethanol is in the pump hose before receiving the premium 91% for which I paid.
I believe I read somewhere that the average is usually less than half a gallon, but depends on pump setup.

That being said, less than a half gallon of E-15 fuel mixed with 4.5 gallons of 91 doesn't give me great reason for concern. Especially when one remembers the 70s and 80s when we commonly would put a jug of Heet in our gas tanks to ward off the effects of condensation. Granted that was isopropyl alcohol, not ethyl alcohol, but I'm not sure the net effect of either at that level is something I'd be too worried about.

Then again, if you're only worried about paying $1.90 for a half gallon of $1.70 worth of the lower graded stuff, you may have more pressing concerns in life.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go to a station that has separate hoses for each grade of fuel, you will never get that squirt of lower grade.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seafoam all the way baby! It doesn't seem like it ever is on sale tho! L and M Fleet has a pickle bucket sale from time to time....buy the bucket for like $2 and get 15% off on everything you can put in the bucket. I made sure I put it more than a few cans of Seafoam......my brain thinking..hell yeah..i will take the 15% discount on something that very rarely goes on sale.👍

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a pile of small engines around. In the gallon or less motors stored between long seasons, I store with trufuel. The mid sized ones get 91 with no ethanol. The large ones typically get used throughout the year, so I run whatever is appropriate for the regularity of use.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
2 days ago gas went to $3.29 a gallon today it went to 3.39. 😡

Thanks Opec+..........................you fuckers.

Last edited:

woodduck30

★★★★★ Legendary Member
ethanol in my opinion is one of the bigger scams out there. making food into fuel at a greater cost than the fuel its replacing.
Spot on! They sold it as a "green initiative" at the time. Now to save the planet they have come up with carbon capture. Which is supposed to fix a problem they created with the ethinol plant. See the pattern. Climate change is a way to launder billions of tax paying dollars into the deep pockets of politicians and special interest groups.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seafoam all the way baby! It doesn't seem like it ever is on sale tho! L and M Fleet has a pickle bucket sale from time to time....buy the bucket for like $2 and get 15% off on everything you can put in the bucket. I made sure I put it more than a few cans of Seafoam......my brain thinking..hell yeah..i will take the 15% discount on something that very rarely goes on sale.👍
It's usually about $50/Gallon @ Fleet Farm vs. ~$70/gal if you buy 8 16oz cans

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't get to Fargay that often or i would take advantage of that price. In the meantime, I will continue to buy the 16oz cans at 15% off at the Bemidji L and M Fleet as we have a cabin nearby. 15% off compares nicely with the about $50 gallon but for sure i would go for 15% off a gallon if they offered that also.👍

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 164
  • This month: 141
  • This month: 131
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 80