Vehicle "Safety" Work Arounds

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
One of the things I hate about my newer GMC pickup with the push button start is that it's remote will only run for 10 minutes, if you physically start the vehicle and leave it running it only runs for 20 minutes, and if you're in it and letting run (ice fishing out your door) it automatically quits after 40 minutes. They say it's for safety reasons since with the push button starting you might accidently leave it running. Well last night while watching the Bucs beat the Chiefs, one of my friends there said he just found out if you put it in neutral and then put the parking brake on it will keep running. Tried it today and he's right! But how in the hell is leaving it running in neutral with the parking brake on safer than just letting it run in park like you would with a key starting one? Was also told if you hold the start button for 5 seconds without hitting the brake it puts it in a mode that will keep the radio on without it turning it off automatically after 5 minutes. Haven't tried that one yet. Anyone have any other or better ways to bypass some of this stupid crap?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just wish i could get the seatbelt dinger to not ding. Fricken drives me nuts.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just wish i could get the seatbelt dinger to not ding. Fricken drives me nuts.

Assuming you're talking about your F250 it's in the settings accessible via the left-side steering wheel controls. Truck has to be on and in park. Auto-locks can be turned on/off in the same place as well as oil-change interval be re-set.

If you can't find it there, there should be a series of key turns and seat-belt buckling/unbuckling explained in your owners manual.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yea I’m sure there is something in the manual or the internet to solve all that

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
With my F150 I got a free program off the internet that let me change some factory settings, so now my truck doesn't turn off when I'm sitting at a stoplight, my fog lights stay on when using my high beams, and I upped the number of blinks when using the change lane feature of my blinkers.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just get the metal thing that plugs into the receiving part of your seatbelt. Buddy of mine did that, works fine without messing with computer.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rigid seat belt extenders can be had for cheap. They stop the dinging, but also don't prevent you from buckling when you want to, and make it a bit easier to buckle by moving the port up a few inches. They're not just for the plus-sized crowd.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Assuming you're talking about your F250 it's in the settings accessible via the left-side steering wheel controls. Truck has to be on and in park. Auto-locks can be turned on/off in the same place as well as oil-change interval be re-set.

If you can't find it there, there should be a series of key turns and seat-belt buckling/unbuckling explained in your owners manual.

I rarely drive my 250, but I do have the seat belt extender in that one that makes the ding ding disappear.

- - - Updated - - -

With my F150 I got a free program off the internet that let me change some factory settings, so now my truck doesn't turn off when I'm sitting at a stoplight, my fog lights stay on when using my high beams, and I upped the number of blinks when using the change lane feature of my blinkers.
Sounds wonderful, any more info on this. I have a F150 i drive for work that I would love to tinker with

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
One of the things I hate about my newer GMC pickup with the push button start is that it's remote will only run for 10 minutes, if you physically start the vehicle and leave it running it only runs for 20 minutes, and if you're in it and letting run (ice fishing out your door) it automatically quits after 40 minutes. They say it's for safety reasons since with the push button starting you might accidently leave it running. Well last night while watching the Bucs beat the Chiefs, one of my friends there said he just found out if you put it in neutral and then put the parking brake on it will keep running. Tried it today and he's right! But how in the hell is leaving it running in neutral with the parking brake on safer than just letting it run in park like you would with a key starting one? Was also told if you hold the start button for 5 seconds without hitting the brake it puts it in a mode that will keep the radio on without it turning it off automatically after 5 minutes. Haven't tried that one yet. Anyone have any other or better ways to bypass some of this stupid crap?

https://www.autostopeliminator.com/products/2019-silverado-sierra-autostop-eliminator

- - - Updated - - -

You outlaw. Brights and fogs are illegal to use together. From the ND Century Code:

39-21-17. Spot lamps and auxiliary lamps.
2. Fog lamps. ... Lighted fog lamps meeting the above requirements may be used with lowerheadlamp beams as specified in subsection 2 of section 39-21-20

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Should be able to reset the dinger in the '150 via the settings on the steering wheel. Truck on and in park. Not sure about the lights and such.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Our 2019 Buick Enclave Avenir shuts off when at a stop light too and it sucks. Found on the Interweb for around 150 bucks you can buy something to plug into the wiring under the hood to stop this. Why do i need to pay another 150 bucks?????
Anyone know something different to fix this?

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Our 2019 Buick Enclave Avenir shuts off when at a stop light too and it sucks. Found on the Interweb for around 150 bucks you can buy something to plug into the wiring under the hood to stop this. Why do i need to pay another 150 bucks?????

The only thing I could think that would work would be looking at what fuse the auto stop feature is on and pulling that fuse. But most of the times those fuses have something else on them so you aren't able to pull them without losing something else.

You might as well bite the bullet and spend the $150

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member

My F150 has a button on the dash you can push to disable it but I think you have to do it every time you start the vehicle. Otherwise, don't wear your seatbelt and it won't engage (probably not the best fix:cool:) The autostart doesn't bother me with as little stop and go driving as I do with it so I haven't looked into it much.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member

Our 2019 Honda Passport does the same thing but there is a button on center console to over ride that so you may wish to look for something along those lines. On a side note, when the vehicle is off for any length of time it goes back to the default of shutting off when at a stop sign/light so it must be overridden by pushing the button each time you get in your vehicle..which sucks. Looked into changing the default to vehicle staying ON when at a stop light but haven't found that yet.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
wait a minute... shuts down at a stop light/sign?! so, you have to restart it to move? that's some crazy ass shit right there. reasoning? do they have 10-20 minute waits without movement in some places?

- - - Updated - - -
[MENTION=380]gonefshn[/MENTION] any fixes for the run time issue? drives me nuts with my wife's vehicle too. my dodge will run 15 minutes at a shot (X2) and never shut down if started inside the vehicle. i leave a set of keys in mine and one in the house. can start from house set. wife's suburban won't start if there is a set in the vehicle even though you need to lock it before starting with the second set and it won't open anyway if the other set is in the vehicle after you lock it. seems senseless.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a button I can press for the auto stop, but you have to do it every time you start the thing. I tend to do the stop-roll and then stop to avoid it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 88
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33