Verado HP Gains

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Right on 5575! There are alot of good deals to be had out there if you are willing to travel for them. Also from my experience the larger brand names range, skeeter, Lund, and warrior seem to be holding their used value pretty well lately.

If I ever decide to go with a newer model it will be bought from a pro fisherman who has put on all the accessories and ran it for a season to work any issues out of it. Most of them still have the warranty transfer as well. To each their own, its your money and or credit not mine.

I bought my Ranger from a Pro, very happy with everything.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought my 2011 Ranger 621 used in 2013. I think I could sell the thing for pert near what I paid for it today. The new ones just keep going up!

Tim Sandstrom

Founding Member
Founding Member
It comes down to responsible lending. Things in life cost money. Whether it's investment properties such as apartment buildings, the house in which you live in, the car/vehicle in which you drive, or the BOAT in which you fish in, fun toys etc. The "I don't need it unless I can pay cash for it" mentality is great for one person and a complete joke for the next.

I take advantage of "financial opportunities". No one comes into this world holding a bag of money, no one leaves this world with a bag of money. Every successful person has borrowed money at one point in time, the difference is that they did "educated borrowing". Not picking on anyone too hard but a vast majority of people are "stupid" when it comes to financial responsibility. Borrowing $1M for a real estate purchase that you net lets say $40K off of is not comparable to buying a $50,000 recreation toy that you finance for 120months (10yrs). That is the difference between "Educated borrowing" vs. "Stupid borrowing".

Oh I think plenty of people come into this world holding a bag of money. There are two kinds of those people too. 1). Claim they are the smartest people in the world and gawk at those who pay interest. 2) Those that respect the fact generations before them built what they now inherit and don't act like they are the smartest people in the world. I know both types.

I hate interest but if a 'normal' person were to save save save and pay cash for things to enjoy while their age still allowed they would die old giving all that cash to a trust or nursing home.

- - - Updated - - -

Are there stories of flashed motors have issues? I am one of those guys who does not nor ever will buy a new boat. I actually need those real smart people to buy new so I can buy used. And definitely agree with reaching out to a pro. I have made that arrangement in the past but a one year old boat decked out is still 52000 ish. Just a couple steps out from where I want to be. Anyway, I do not think I will ever have to worry about warranty unless buying pro boat but I do not want to flash a motor if there is evidence doing so strains the intended capability. I guess my question should be manufacturers de-warranty for a reason or do they just use as an excuse to de-warranty?

- - - Updated - - -

And what do the flashings do for 'idle perfornance'? What I am looking to do is flash a 200 to get me maybe 225 to 250. But is the so called performance gain all encompassing where my perfectly fine trolled down 200 becomes a beast to troll down 250?

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I save u guys some key strokes. Pure simple if it take 144 payments to get it done u might want to bang your head on the hull until u beat yourself bloody. Then if u haven't figured out life then go ahead n buy her Screenshot_2016-02-07-08-47-49.jpg

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are there stories of flashed motors have issues? I am one of those guys who does not nor ever will buy a new boat. I actually need those real smart people to buy new so I can buy used. And definitely agree with reaching out to a pro. I have made that arrangement in the past but a one year old boat decked out is still 52000 ish. Just a couple steps out from where I want to be. Anyway, I do not think I will ever have to worry about warranty unless buying pro boat but I do not want to flash a motor if there is evidence doing so strains the intended capability. I guess my question should be manufacturers de-warranty for a reason or do they just use as an excuse to de-warranty?

- - - Updated - - -

And what do the flashings do for 'idle perfornance'? What I am looking to do is flash a 200 to get me maybe 225 to 250. But is the so called performance gain all encompassing where my perfectly fine trolled down 200 becomes a beast to troll down 250?

1. Yes.

2. Manufacturers de-warrantee because they've been taken out of the loop regarding ECU mapping. Manufacturers aren't about to start adding more HP than what is stated on the hood, 'cause let's face it, most of the folks doing this already have max HP for their hull.

3. Likely nothing assuming your idle RPM's and prop selection don't change. RPM x lower unit gearing x prop pitch x slippage = speed. That formula doesn't change due to a sticker on the outboard's hood. W/EFI and variable valve/cam timing it's no big thing to add HP/TQ with a little advance in timing and some additional fuel. That said, few are going to flash just so they can continue to use their current prop and achieve their current top end more quickly. They're gonna add pitch to increase top end and worry about trolling with a kicker or an electric.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
For you guys that drop $30k+ on a boat, how often do you fish? I know I could never justify it. I think I got my boat out 3 times last summer (that is not the number of times I fished, just most of the time I'm in someone else's boat).

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put 56 hrs.on mine last season. Hardly any of that was idling. Probably went out 20-25 times

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
For you guys that drop $30k+ on a boat, how often do you fish? I know I could never justify it. I think I got my boat out 3 times last summer (that is not the number of times I fished, just most of the time I'm in someone else's boat).

Depending on the year, weather, vacation time, when the ice comes off, whether or not the river is good in the spring, etc. 25-40+ days/summer.

Putz ND

Founding Member
Founding Member
On average, I hit 5 days a week. Made a stretch last summer where I landed a fish 28 straight days!! Most of my trips involve less than a half hour on the outboard - I think my season total was around 85 hours. My 3 year old was so accustomed to fishing every night that a couple of times he "couldn't sleep" because "he hadn't been fishing yet". Great times!

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I spent $38k on mine 8 yrs ago. Was way more than I was looking to spend, but spread that out over likely 15 to twenty years I will be using it, it's $1,500 a year, out in the boat 35 times a year it's down to about $35 a trip.
Pretty cheap day of fun for a family day out.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I spent $38k on mine 8 yrs ago. Was way more than I was looking to spend, but spread that out over likely 15 to twenty years I will be using it, it's $1,500 a year, out in the boat 35 times a year it's down to about $35 a trip.

Really, what else can you do with 3-5 people/family for $35 that lasts 6+hrs and doesn't leave you with dark and ominous thoughts when you're finished? Costs more than that to get 4 into a ~2hr movie.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok. So the numbers do work out for some of you. I just laugh at some these guys that buy boats that turn into really expensive lawn ornaments.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spent 19k for a new pontoon and being two miles from a few different ramps on Oahe 3 or 4 times a week average. This year probably more as I think ice will be off early. I want to go out with big bobers and smelt into some bays you can't fish from shore to catch big pike.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember one time speaking to a guy from out east --- he had a big boat and was bitching how much money he had to put into on repairs. His comment was your typical outboard is actually a racing motor for all practical purposes. Mass produced however it always has a load on it running a boat. Boat never coasts like a car and the motor is always working hard to push the boat forward. With that said flashing an engine that was designed to work at one level -- has to have an effect on the engine down the road as it is being pushed even harder IMO. The engine is just to damn expensive IMO to fk with it.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
flashing an engine that was designed to work at one level -- has to have an effect on the engine down the road as it is being pushed even harder IMO. The engine is just to damn expensive IMO to fk with it.

Hard to say. My F200 is the same engine they use for the F225 and F250, shouldn't be any issue to flash it to a 250, but my hull's only rated for 200 and should something ever happen that injures someone I wouldn't want the headache or heartache.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
With that said flashing an engine that was designed to work at one level -- has to have an effect on the engine down the road as it is being pushed even harder IMO. The engine is just to damn expensive IMO to fk with it.

In most cases the MFG's same engines are just tuned differently from the factory to different specs and hp ratings and a lot of it has to do with emissions regs as well.
What most aftermarket flashes do is optimize what the mfgs just let fly as good enough. They get better performance through optimized mapping of parameters which gains longevity and reliability along with better performance and economy. This is the case with the canned flash like simon motor sports ells for most OEM 4 strokes.

If one wants performance tunes for competition that is a different ball game.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shopped around for over 6 months and ended up finding a hell of a deal on my boat. 13' 620. Found a guy who needed to get rid of it and ended up getting it for much less than any other deal out there. Took what I saved and outfitted it with new electronics and was still under what anyone else was asking by $2K. I get out on average 30-40 times a year.

I've got 1yr left on warranty on the Verado, so I'm on the fence with the re-flashing until then. It would make the motor run more efficient, and help out on the top end which would be nice!

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member

I think I need to use that math to justify buying a new boat. Sounds pretty cheap as long as you leave out the gas, beer and bait!

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member

I cant tell you how many hours my big engine had on it. But after the first 2 years I found out my HDS7 was on for over 1700 hours.....So, enough to justify any boat I want to buy!

- - - Updated - - -

To do the math (minus the interest, cuz I don't know what that amount was) I bought my Skeeter for 40,000 ish after graphs and everything. I ran it for 6 full years. I never did look at the time on my depth finder, but if you figure 1500 hours spent fishing every 2 years, times 3. I fished or had the depth finder on for 4500 hours those 6 years.

I sold the boat in October for $30,000. So basically it cost me 10k to have that boat, but here is the real math. Take 10,000 divided by 4500, and It cost me $2.22 per hour just in payment, to have my boat. DEAL!!!!!!!!!

Not trying to be a jerk, just a different way for me to look at dividing time per cost. I love having a boat and will always have one.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88