Want an ATV, but have questions?????

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
we have had many issues with the electric shift on our Honda ranchers. the ATV'S are used year round on the farm and aren't babied or abused.

went to a Polaris and love it. much bigger frame more power and more comfortable in my opinion. only downside to the Polaris is the plastic parts tend to break when and pissed cow decides to head but it

- - - Updated - - -

Have you looked at other options in the utv category like the Kubota, Husqvarna, intimatador or John deere

I have not been impressed with the John Deere gator utv's. they are underpowered and slow as hell. top speed is like 25 and they sound like they are gona blow up at that speed

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been reading reviews online for the past 6 months 'til I'm about blue in the face

That's just the light reflecting off of the Busch Light can. (Ahab didn't like the last one so I had to try again).

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have not been impressed with the John Deere gator utv's. they are underpowered and slow as hell. top speed is like 25 and they sound like they are gona blow up at that speed[/QUOTE]

yup... some are not designed to do what we want to do as sportsmen... different machine for a different market...

the ones you mentioned, along with others are designed more toward the commercial side... most wouldn't want a machine like this to run 70 mph on a job site... these machines are built to do what the construction/municipal customer wants...

ISELLGUNS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Love my Ranger. It's the cats ass, and even started today. 21 below out and she started.

Yep, they start right up even at -20.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks guys!! Great info on the different machines. Twould LOVE a SxS, but their price tag is a consideration. Been reading reviews online for the past 6 months 'til I'm about blue in the face with each machine having it's gold stars along with it's suck factors. EFI and Power steering have become a must have for me. Too many reviews from all across the country say the same things. Thanks Again for the insights!!

Price was a factor for me too as I am a farmer but not a rich one. I thought I was crazy to spend $27,000. I bought the velocity blue Polaris ranger 900 crew with glass, hard cab, heat, doors, bed mat, horn kit and interior light. I don't regret it at all. They do get dusty inside in the summer but for checking cows, they are great. Myself, the dog and the wife fit in front and my son and his girlfriend in the back and still room for one more. For me, I would never buy the 2 door model. There are a lot of the 2 door models around here but after having the crew, I know what I will be buying were I to replace or upgrade it. I won't be doing that for a long time I hope. For me, it turned out to be money well spent.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why do you hold your breath when you read?

It's called Erotic Asphyxiation

I'm on my 2nd Arctic cat atv. I've never had any issues and it'll startup everytime. Even in this -20 bullshit. Don't have power steering and doesn't bother me till I hookup the plow. That said tho, I regret not buying a side by side.

Last edited:

hoytslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honda. always go with a Honda. Rubicon or Rincon. I would not recommend power steering way to squirly and a good way to get hurt. we run a cattle ranch west of Mandan and as far as four wheelers we have only ever had Hondas. last one we had had 10000 on it before we traded it. haven't had a single issue with that one or our current 2. as far as a SXS goes we are on our 2nd ranger and they are JUNK. constantly in the shop with those and action takes about 4 months to work on something.

Tillerman2095

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kirk, I have a Kawasaki Brute Force 750 and have nothing but good things to say about it. V-twin motor, no power steering, this machine has a lot of power for its size. Independent suspension is nice but I'd rather have a Honda straight axle for pulling my ice house around. The shocks seam to drop a lot with a fish house on my ATV.

If I had the money though I would of coarse not sell my four wheeler and buy a side by side. Of all the side by sides I've rode in the 900 Ranger is my favorite but man they are expensive. I only paid $4500 brand new on the Brute Force.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Things have come a long ways on the 4 wheeler front. I don't know that you can go wrong with any brand. Hondas are bulletproof for sure. Polaris, Yamaha, and Can Am all make nice ATV's. Find a dealer that is close that has good service and go with that one.

For sure go with power steering and EFI. Two no brainers. How big to go engine wise is the next question? I have done a ton of snow plowing with a 350 Rancher and 350 Bruin. Not excessive power but it got the job done. But, that said I would go with a 500/550 at a minimum. If you are ever thinking tracks, go big, 700 plus.

White SxS are sweet in so many ways, an ATV stills wins on price and portability.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm going to suggest Honda as well. Another option I have looked at is a Artic Cat 4 wheeler with a box on back. Really like the looks and some of the extra hidden storage. As far as comfortable ride 4 wheelers my top is Honda and Artic Cat over all the others, becomes a dodge Chevy ford thing.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honda rubicon for me. Mines carved and will start in winnipeg Temps. Prime the carb 3 times, they have a built in primer on carb, and it starts. Had a cat and it was complete junk. Rubicon is used but not abused and that hondamatic transmission is about the best out there. Those that say they never had belt problems are lucky, I have seen a few smoked belts. I do believe it was a maintenance issue though. Honda is known for trouble free and that's what I need.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are a couple full cab honda 1000 side by sides on
bisman that are sweet. They are still very expensive but they are a good deal compared buying new. I almost bought one but decided stick with my old truck instead as i hate loading up trailers and pulling them home after a full day on the water.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Any one haul their atv with tracks in the back of their half ton pickup?

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any one haul their atv with tracks in the back of their half ton pickup?
I think you can but you will have to drive over the wheel wells which might put weird stress on the tracks. I think an ATV with tracks measure around 8' tip to tip though so hopefully you didn't get one of those girly 5.5' beds:D

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
KDM,

You sound like me when I was looking after I almost lost my truck ice fishing one day on mille lacs lake,researched 4 atv's artic,polaris,honda and yammie,artic was a pos,polaris is belt driven but a good ride,nix the belt driven machine,Not sure about air cooled vs liguid cool machines these days but the air cooled machines start the best in cold weather,I liked the yammie for its front and rear diff lock 4x4 option but liked the finished product of the Honda better,the honda foreman(larger frame than the rancher),air cooled,2500 warn winch.60"plow and a solid rear axel that does;nt squat when I hookup a trailer up like rear indenpdent models,didn't buy the thing to trail ride just work,and I have the "ES" which is very user friendly,just remember to slow down when down shifting (geared pretty low).Its amazing how much snow these babies can move if ya upgrade the tires.Put a couple baskets on it,one for the pup and auger and front for other stuff like a bucket and cooler,never had an issue and its easy starting if ya remember to use off road fuel(high oct and no ethanol)

pics 033.jpg

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Nope I have a 6.5' bed. I think the edges of the tracks will bend up. I could build an bump that runs across the whole bed.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well my damn EFI ranger would not start yesterday. I put it in the garage the morning before to melt the snow off of it, and later that day pulled it out to put the car in the garage. When I went to work yesterday I told the boy to hop on the ranger and pull it into the garage when I back the pickup out. He could get the engine to turn over, the battery was good, just seemed like no gas was making its way to the injectors.
I am guessing during my 6 hour thaw it must have put moisture where it shouldn't have and now its not pumping fuel.

Going to try to push it into the garage this afternoon and let it sit for the night in the heat with a fan blowing the moisture off of it.

would have been a SOB had this happened 5 miles from shore...:mad:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 46
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 17
  • This month: 16