Want an ATV, but have questions?????

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well my damn EFI ranger would not start yesterday. I put it in the garage the morning before to melt the snow off of it, and later that day pulled it out to put the car in the garage. When I went to work yesterday I told the boy to hop on the ranger and pull it into the garage when I back the pickup out. He could get the engine to turn over, the battery was good, just seemed like no gas was making its way to the injectors.
I am guessing during my 6 hour thaw it must have put moisture where it shouldn't have and now its not pumping fuel.

Going to try to push it into the garage this afternoon and let it sit for the night in the heat with a fan blowing the moisture off of it.

would have been a SOB had this happened 5 miles from shore...:mad:

Same thing happened to my King Quad yesterday. Moved some snow and broke the winch cable, no biggie finish with the snowblower. Get the winch cable cut and re-clamped, engine won't start. Plenty of juice, Fuel Injection light is flashing. Plugged in the trickler, came back later that afternoon and she fired right up. Inside drying out now. Never happened before and I've moved a bunch of snow and traveled quite a bit while ice fishing. It was strange.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well my damn EFI ranger would not start yesterday. I put it in the garage the morning before to melt the snow off of it, and later that day pulled it out to put the car in the garage. When I went to work yesterday I told the boy to hop on the ranger and pull it into the garage when I back the pickup out. He could get the engine to turn over, the battery was good, just seemed like no gas was making its way to the injectors.
I am guessing during my 6 hour thaw it must have put moisture where it shouldn't have and now its not pumping fuel.

Going to try to push it into the garage this afternoon and let it sit for the night in the heat with a fan blowing the moisture off of it.

would have been a SOB had this happened 5 miles from shore...:mad:

I think Russia did it…

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well the temp rose to a balmy 1 degree above, I returned home from work, had just picked up the boys and decided we would drag it into the garage, tried the key just to see, and maybe save some work. Well it fired right up. Sonsabitches, I now know it was the Russians, or maybe someone grabbed me by the pussy..haha

Founding Member
Founding Member
Polaris makes a dust kit for sxs 120 on eBay. I used black spray foam and some weather stripping and it worked great.

Fish whisperer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I want a skid steer with a big buxket

I have a Bobcat S185 with bucket and also a snow blower...it is the cat's meow. WAY better than the IH 560 with loader and 3 points blower that I had previously. Enclosed cab with heat makes a huge difference, I actually enjoy my time moving snow and don't come in looking like the abominal(sp?) snow man.

Perchslayer

Established Member
I also have a s185 with a 90" snow bucket just remember to replace the blade and your golden

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
20170104_190954.jpg

In the garage thawing out. Notice the NDA sticker on the box. Thinking it's the last weekend of Pheasant season, but I have a freezer full, might drill some hard water. Boy thinks effn around on the lake sounds more fun than squeezing the trigger.

tommygun23

Established Member
I have a 2011 Polaris Sportsman 550xp. It has EFI which is super slick compared to the older carbed ones. I also have power steering, wouldn't want one without now. The power steering works awesome for tight turns at slow speeds when going down hill or up hill. Also works great for chasing cows when having to turn sharply. There is no squirliness when traveling at high speeds and there is no uncomfortable feeling whatsoever. I really like Polaris for the fact of a smooth ride, the wide wheelbase and the high ground clearance. I've never had any issues with belts as long as I've owned a Polaris. Also the lock and ride system works pretty slick. There newer 570 models are also pretty reasonable priced.

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just bought a 16' Honda Rubicon today. My daughter drove it home from Honda. I backed it out of the garage when I got home tonight. So far so good. It will get tested ice fishing the next couple of weeks but I bought it for elk hunting. With the locking differential and suspension I doubt there are many machines that can go where it can't. Will keep you posted.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks guys for the VERY informative banter on this thread. I really appreciate it!!!! I was up 'til 4:25 this morning looking at specs and there seems to be only a 2 inch difference in ground clearance between the major ATV brands. How important is ground clearance for an ATV and would ground clearance affect getting tracks and their performance??

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks guys for the VERY informative banter on this thread. I really appreciate it!!!! I was up 'til 4:25 this morning looking at specs and there seems to be only a 2 inch difference in ground clearance between the major ATV brands. How important is ground clearance for an ATV and would ground clearance affect getting tracks and their performance??
Ground clearance isn't everything, it all depends how well the suspension works, Just like HP isn't everything it depends how its delivered. Here is a nice write up of some of the newer 500cc models.
http://dirtwheelsmag.com/home-page/500cc-4x4-shootout-can-am-vs-honda-vs-polaris

Last edited:

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tracks are great but they throw snow like a snowblower.
As far as ground clearance if you get stuck or spinning you can throw your weight from side to side and turn your front wheels side to side too and alot of times get out of what you are in.

- - - Updated - - -

Same thing happened to my King Quad yesterday. Moved some snow and broke the winch cable, no biggie finish with the snowblower. Get the winch cable cut and re-clamped, engine won't start. Plenty of juice, Fuel Injection light is flashing. Plugged in the trickler, came back later that afternoon and she fired right up. Inside drying out now. Never happened before and I've moved a bunch of snow and traveled quite a bit while ice fishing. It was strange.
Is it possible the battery is getting bad and was at low power? I was told by a guy in the Black Hills that if you have a low battery your fuel injection either won't work properly or won't work at all. Don't know if he is correct or not and hope i never find out. Just a thought on your King Quad.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a Bobcat S185 with bucket and also a snow blower...it is the cat's meow. WAY better than the IH 560 with loader and 3 points blower that I had previously. Enclosed cab with heat makes a huge difference, I actually enjoy my time moving snow and don't come in looking like the abominal(sp?) snow man.
On the farm we had a Bobcat S205 with a bucket, 8' snow pusher, and a snowblower for it. It was great and i MISS IT SO MUCH! It had heat and a/c and a darn good radio also suspension seat. Wife said to get over it as we are NOT going to be buying one for in town. Unless of course we win the lottery.....

Last edited:

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an 08 polaris 800. Bought is used with only 1500 miles on it. Put 6 ply tires on it. It moves snow like a beast. I would like to trade it for a SXS but lord....i Realized I can buy a pretty decent used pickup for those prices. I can drive where ever I want like outa town or whatever vs just tooling around. Wish I was I wealthy!
But then again...doesn't bible say a camel has a better chAnce to slip through eye of a needle than a rich man has getting into heaven!

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know I'm in the stone age.versus the rest of you guys, I have a carb 04 Kaw Praire Twin 700, sitting out in the cold, this pig will never start...lol just the way it is. I don't have an insulated garage like the rest of you, it does have a heater but takes like forever to get it up to room temp. I have a little trick I do, I use a little space heater, set it next to the atv motor so that it warms up the engine, after about an hour or so, the pig starts! As long as the temp are over freezing, I can get it running, get down in these sub temps it tells me to kiss my azz...lol..just a cold blooded machine, when it runs, it runs good. I'm hoping to update to an EFI atv here in the near future. These type of atv with carbs are for guys that are VERY mechanical inclined or like to tinker....lol.......or just understand in general what needs to be done to get them running.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 42
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 27
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14