Want an ATV, but have questions?????

Perchslayer

Established Member
I just got tracks on my Kawasaki brute force 750 and that biatch is nice! I went through three foot drifts with no problems it does get better mpg too

- - - Updated - - -

Will post pics

Mizzou21

I have had a Yamaha Viking SE with tracks on it. The thing worked great. What really sold me on it was the fact that I had 3 true seats and safety belts vs some other brands that have bench seats and not quite as much room. I believe it was a few inches wider. The thing I wasn't crazy about was the vehicle vibrated like crazy at idle and was a bit noisy. A lot of Yamaha forums said you could put a sound dampening kit on it and would help. My unit was a 15, and sounds like the 16's rectified that problem from so many complaints. As far as durability and performance the machine was great. Put a few hundred miles on with 3 guys up to Lake Winnipeg a few times and it worked to perfection and always started right up. I have since lost my storage unit space and sold the Viking and went to a 1000 Polaris XP Sportsman with tracks. That machine has a ton of power and I have been very impressed with it moving snow and ice fishing a lot so far this year. I would mention don't be afraid to shop around, as I found this unit brand new with tracks, plow, winch, extended push tube, heated hand grips, etc. for a tad less than $12,500. Worth every penny! The other suggestion I would make is consider a good, used machine set up mostly the way you want. All of these manufacturers come out with rebates and that ends up hurting you in the long run when you are trying to sell a year or two old machine vs the cost of new after rebate. Let someone else take the loss. My best example is having over $21k invested in that Viking with tracks and being told by the dealer I could probably get $15 for it. I ended up getting $17, but that was a terrible investment for the 18 months of use and 300 miles on it. Just my thoughts, good luck on the search!

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A lot of dealers are closing out their 16 models and are letting them go not much over cost. I think some Hondas have an extra $300 off. Time to buy that four wheeler

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've owned Yamaha and hondas my whole life. Still have the first one I ever bought. 2004 Yamaha kodiak 450. It has like 11k hard miles on it and I think I've stuck a whopping few hundred bucks in repairs over the years to it. I do like the EFI machines, but that Kodiak will start at 20 below every time. I don't think you can go wrong with either brand though. Also owned a Grizzly and never changed a belt on it. I didn't run tracks until my 2012 Rincon. Never had any issues with it either. I did have a few issues with it starting when it was real cold, but the battery could have been weak. If they make a solid lead battery for them, I would put one in.

Kind of rambling but I think your on the right track. I have been around Polaris but never owned one. Artic Cats use to go through belts when rode hard, but maybe they've improved in the last 5 years. Haven't been around any of the newer ones. Can Am is a real solid machine these days as well. Have lots of buddies with them, and since 09ish, they changed where the belt housing setup was so snow and water didn't get in. That's the only time I've seen them have issues with belts slipping with tracks. All the newer models don't have that problem.

Good Luck! I couldn't live without an ATV anymore.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's "Average" for mileage on an ATV. Is 1000 miles a year a good benchmark to use?? Thanks!!!

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's "Average" for mileage on an ATV. Is 1000 miles a year a good benchmark to use?? Thanks!!!

My Polaris 850 is 2.2 years old and has under 400 miles. I would lean more toward type of use vs miles; but miles in excess of 500/year I would personally consider high milage.

My Polaris has burned a belt already and I am not hard on it. I have seen 2 Arctic Cat 700s that will NOT start in the cold (efi too). Yamaha has made so many changes in the last couple years in their line-up i'd pass for a couple years.

I have researched until I am blue in the face on primarily the s/s offerings. My next purchase will be a Honda Pioneer 1000 from Pure Honda in Minot. They have a REAL transmission and Honda reliability. The only knock I have heard is overall engine and exaust noise.

I have spoken with a number of ranchers in SD and they have in excess of 10k miles on their Hondas.... Rarely have I seen this from any other brand.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would consider that high, there are a lot of ATV's with light use out there. If you are a farmer/rancher or a serious trail rider i can see putting that many on but not the average user. My Honda Rubicon is almost a year old and I only have about 250 on it. Mine basically only gets used for ice fishing and cruising around the cabin in the summer.

This seems like a pretty good deal. These are $9,600 new not including the tax/winch/plow.
https://www.bismanonline.com/menoken_nd/2016_honda_rubicon_deluxe_4x4_with_3000_lb_kfi_win

Last edited:

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is a honda dealer in valley city that has some very competitive pricing kdm. I cant remember the name of the place but it is on the east side of town. They had the best showroom prices i have seen in ND.

- - - Updated - - -

Also atvtrader.com is a great website if you are looking for the lowest prices on atv's. You may have to travel but you can get some great savings from the large dealers out of state.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
KDM,Another thought if you plan on hanging a plow its best to install a 60" blade,that way the plow blade is wider than the width of the wheel base of your atv,2nd,shit can the winch cable and install the synthetic rope,less brain damage when plowing and the cable snaps.

1pingonly

Founding Member
Founding Member
...or one of these..the original UTV side by side (for 1/2 the cost) lake 2015 143.jpg

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would consider that high, there are a lot of ATV's with light use out there. If you are a farmer/rancher or a serious trail rider i can see putting that many on but not the average user. My Honda Rubicon is almost a year old and I only have about 250 on it. Mine basically only gets used for ice fishing and cruising around the cabin in the summer.

This seems like a pretty good deal. These are $9,600 new not including the tax/winch/plow.
https://www.bismanonline.com/menoken_nd/2016_honda_rubicon_deluxe_4x4_with_3000_lb_kfi_win

I know the owner. It is basically brand spanking new. He bought it to push snow, but as we all know we have all had more than we bargained for so he bought a small tractor. If I didn't already have a wheeler I would be buying it!

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
1000 is alot in one year but not if it only has that many total. Once you get up into the 3000-4000 miles total range you need to be careful unless of course it is a Honda. The older non Japanese built atvs have less parts available after about 7-10 years. You can buy parts for Hondas for decades old machines.

- - - Updated - - -

The prices on hondas is not too much different from dealer to dealer. They all get the same factory price and markup is not too large. I'm pretty sure they make the profit from accessories.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your head wasn't spinning before with decisions here are a couple more options

And here is if you are looking to go a little more high tech

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
1000 is alot in one year but not if it only has that many total. Once you get up into the 3000-4000 miles total range you need to be careful unless of course it is a Honda. The older non Japanese built atvs have less parts available after about 7-10 years. You can buy parts for Hondas for decades old machines.

- - - Updated - - -

The prices on hondas is not too much different from dealer to dealer. They all get the same factory price and markup is not too large. I'm pretty sure they make the profit from accessories.

The price differences I am referring to are 1500 to 2000 bucks on a particular machine that comes equipped from the factory. I am not referring to accessories. There are deals out there.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honda Rubicon, pretty much the workhorse of atv's. Can't go wrong. Have tracks on mine but wouldn't go any smaller than the 500 in case you wanted to put them on.04 is what I have, no power steer. Tough to turn until you get it rolling

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thought I'd bring this thread to a close, give you guys an update, and say a huge Thank You for all the help and input I received. I've referred back to this thread quite a bit in the last few months and my search for an ATV is over. I found a very nice, lightly used, Yamaha Grizzly 700 with tracks, winch, and a snow plow. I built a new permanent ice shack this year and was wondering how I was going to get it around on the lake. Now I know. The coyotes better enjoy the next few months as come next fall, I can REALLY get after'em. Thanks again fellas for your insights!! Now a pic of the new toys........

DSC07218.jpg

JUSTWINGNIT

Founding Member
Founding Member
What ya pay for that? I sold the bike a little while ago and now I'm lookin for a wheeler or side by side!

Fish whisperer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thought I'd bring this thread to a close, give you guys an update, and say a huge Thank You for all the help and input I received. I've referred back to this thread quite a bit in the last few months and my search for an ATV is over. I found a very nice, lightly used, Yamaha Grizzly 700 with tracks, winch, and a snow plow. I built a new permanent ice shack this year and was wondering how I was going to get it around on the lake. Now I know. The coyotes better enjoy the next few months as come next fall, I can REALLY get after'em. Thanks again fellas for your insights!! Now a pic of the new toys........

20170914_202201.jpg

congrats on the new rig. I'm jealous.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 46
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 18