Weed killer for grass

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Full Deck from Helena. Expensive but works much much better than Trimec

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Slightly OT: As a new homeowner in Ga.; the yard was a mixture of of Bahia grass, centipede and St. Augustine. As it turned out the St. Augustine was a stark minority after SA friendly fertilizer/weed killer was liberally applied in late winter. As spring progressed the yard began to turn chartreuse with small green patches to crispy dead brown with small green patches. The woman was pleased.

Well...I got mine by the middle of June. The yard transformed into a lush green comparable to the color "June Bug" in the right lighting. I had the best looking damn yard in the whole development without a weed or fire ant thanks to seeding nests and applying an actual perimeter of Amdro around the property line.

It was my first experience in the concept of "effing something up to fix it" which is what communists are trying to accomplish for this Country as you read this. I thought this might help someone who wanted a certain grass.

That is all.

1687832088170.png

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have Milestone, Strike 3, Amine 400 (2-4-D), and Drexel MSMA.

Milestone takes care of Wormwood (and many other things, I bought specifically for wormwood), Strike 3 is my go to for when I need to spray the whole yard for weeds of all sorts, Amine 400 I use around the house and spot spraying, and MSMA will take care of crab grass and sand burs.

Last edited:

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody ever have good results from Weed'n'Feed? Been tempted to try it as I am sick of spraying my infestation of dandilions every other week through June.

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody ever have good results from Weed'n'Feed? Been tempted to try it as I am sick of spraying my infestation of dandilions every other week through June.
decent, but you have to make sure to stay away from any other plants that you want to keep, like rhubarb, raspberries, strawberries, etc. Critical thing for weed and feed is that the grass must be wet when putting it down, so the granules for weed killer stick to the broadleaf's.

when I use weed and feed, I either put it down after it rains, or early in the morning when there is a lot of dew on the lawn.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

woodduck30

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Use a preemergent in the spring when soil temp is between 45-50 degrees. This really helps. Do not use if you have or intend to plant grass. Spray your weeds in the fall. Right before or even right after the first light frost. This will reduce your weeds for the next year. Then spot spray throughout summer.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tordon (picloram) is the solution to that crap, problem is it's restricted to licensed herbicide sprayers.
I see you can buy ready to use tordon on Amazon. Is it a different product since it’s available to the average Joe?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see you can buy ready to use tordon on Amazon. Is it a different product since it’s available to the average Joe?
Sold as an effective stump killer.

Already diluted - so no handling of concentrate which brings greater risk of skin exposure - and sold in small enough quantities that the risk of your average Joe misapplying over a large area is kept to a minimum.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

Yes, the stuff labeled as Tordon RTU is really a tree killer mixture of 2-4D and picloram. It is intended to be used as is, hence the "Ready To Use", so if you wanted to you could probably kill leafy spurge with it, but isn't it about $15/quart? I wouldn't want to have much spurge around if I had to go that route.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
One of the reasons they made Tordon restricted use is because back in the day people over applied it to kill spurge and it leached into the ground water and people were drinking contaminated water.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84