Collectibles

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Was wondering what everybody like collecting. I know guns, coins or cards are popular, but more curious about some of the odd ball ones. I came across and old house that had a collection of pens. There must have been a thousand. I myself used to drive an 83 chevy that had a metal roof and started filling it up with fridge magnets. It got to a point people were sending me them to put up there.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well it seems I collect rods. When "instant-anti reverse" came out in the early 90's I bought three Zebco Quantums(USA) and two Garcia Speedkings(Sweden) and in the advent of braid; I've been able to switch rods at will with one of the Zeb's now a part's source. There's also one Shimano Curado(Japan or Taiwan) which is a little hussy to cast. I don't think I have any Chinese shit.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
This may not be too odd but I collect knives, fixed and folders. It’s a bit cheaper but not always than collecting guns. I’m a sucker for premium steel and craftsmanship…
I think its an addiction. I picked up three Benchmade in September. I still can't find anything harder than the 67 Rockwell ZDP189. The Benchmade steel Crew Wear at 64 Rockwell hold a good edge, but I have to get my hands on a knife with the new Magnacut.

Edit: Sharpening techniques may be even worse. The latest I am messing with is a nano strop and using .25 micron diamond paste. Supposedly it's grit is 120,000 but it leaves scratches when looked at under magnification. I guess I'll order the .1 micron and see how that works.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a smattering of knives as well. I have a seemingly never-ending search for the perfect "bird-knife". Fillet knives work, but, have more flex than I really want. Most of the "bird-and-trout" offerings start off w/stock that's thicker than I prefer.

I've basically given up on Benchmade. I've owned several examples of 154, S30V, and a single M390. I also have multiple 154 and S30V knives from several custom makers and the Benchmade models don't come anywhere close to holding the same kind of edge as their custom counterparts.

For pocket-knives my current preferences are VG-10 or 52100. Seems like those 2 hold up well to "everyday" use. Boxes, tape, fingernails, stray strings on new clothes, weeds/stickers in the fluffy parts of doggy's ears and legs, etc, etc, etc.

On the subject of fishing reels (casting), Japanese Shimano are pure-sex. Philippines/Malaysia Shimano, not so much and most assuredly not for as long. I'd buck-up for several Japanese Exsense spinning reels if they'd make them in a 750-1500 spool size rather than only the 3000.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
About the only collection I have that's worth mentioning is my various containers of random nuts, bolts, nails, washers, staples, and other hardware that I just can't seem to part with and in all likelihood NEVER use. I also can't manage to keep it from growing either. I may have a problem.....which is the first and most important step I've been told.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was wondering what everybody like collecting. I know guns, coins or cards are popular, but more curious about some of the odd ball ones. I came across and old house that had a collection of pens. There must have been a thousand. I myself used to drive an 83 chevy that had a metal roof and started filling it up with fridge magnets. It got to a point people were sending me them to put up there.
I have some silver and gold coins, but haven't bought any for a few years. I should keep buying a silver dollar every years since they are cheap. I always say I'll go back and get one for each year I missed but haven't yet. And by those are just the walking liberty new ones. I may have to sell some to pay for a new lower end unit however.

I can't talk about my true passion of collecting though, I wish I could.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just started on the Milwaukee battery powered tools, I don't even really work with my hands, and hire out most projects, but just cant seem to get enough of these power tools, so handy the few times a year I might need one. Picked up a battery powered vacuum last week, handiest tool yet I tell you

I have a bunch of silver dollars that mrs johnr randomly brings home from her work place. Some have turned out to be collectable, and rather valuable.

duckman1302

Founding Member
Founding Member
John Deere. Apparently my grandpa bought me a toy tractor shortly after I was born and everyone continued on with it. It has since turned into more than just toys that takes up an entire bedroom.

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
Buck used to make amazing numbered collectible knives , they must have not been big sellers as they don't do it anymore. I was in their factory a couple years ago , what a total disappointment , filthy dirty and their showroom hadnt been cleaned in years. Couple of knives in it .

Silver Stag also makes some nice collectible knives

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Comic books as a kid up through college. Still have tham all. Easily several thousand of them in boxes. Probably end up with my kids or grand kids some day. I know a few are worth a pretty penny.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I go in phases it seems like, not sure if its all considered collecting. Cards and knives when I was younger, tractors to restore and toys to match some or in place of real thing, fishing gear used to be open water now last few years its ice fishing and got into custom ice rods, bourbon and whiskey which is not doing me much good now that I quit drinking and its crazy the number of bottles I have open that are anywhere from 2-4oz drank to half empty but then again I bought them to taste test and share with others.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have pretty much every Jordan card from his third year on. Got them in a safe in the house I should see what they are worth. Now i collect ribbons with my dog

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84