What a evening

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back straps and got the emergency bag of walleye out for supper last night. Was a good way to end a great weekend.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
So did you finish the jerky?
I have some Elk meat to jerky up, anyone have a secret recipe. I have made some tasty jerky, but always looking for a new taste.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ya got 7 pounds made. The boy likes the hi mountain original and ground up. Nothing ground breaking but it was his deer so we did it how he wanted. The way he is eating it might last till this weekend

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ya got 7 pounds made. The boy likes the hi mountain original and ground up. Nothing ground breaking but it was his deer so we did it how he wanted. The way he is eating it might last till this weekend

Haha, my boy is the same way. My daughters never took to liking jerky, or hunting to much.

freiday31

Founding Member
Founding Member
Friday evening we headed out to a game management area close to home. We hiked in to small stand of trees that would give us great visibility of a wooded draw and a couple of tree rows and set up shop. Other than a few road hunters, it was pretty uneventful until just after sunset. I was glassing the end of one of the tree rows and out came a doe and two fawns about a quarter mile away. Time and light was not in our favor, but we had the wind. So we decided to try to make up some ground and off we went. We decided to get below the hill we were on and make a move about 250 yards or so to another group of trees and set up the ambush. The move was not overly quick with a 12 year old and heavy crp, but we made it. At this point we had probably 10 minutes of legal shooting time remaining. I reacquired the target through my binos and attempted to guide my daughter in. However, she just kept telling me that she couldn't see the doe in her scope. So I took a quick peak through the scope, and sure enough, just a blur. Lesson Learned. Don't skimp on optics.

Saturday arrives and low and behold, she has a volleyball tournament. So I took advantage of the day and had a very pleasant time on Sakakawea with a buddy and his dad. I called my daughter on the way home to see if she wanted to go sit for the evening. She was game. This time we headed to the farm of a family friend where I had shot my first deer, a button buck, 25 years earlier. We again played the wind and headed to the corner of a pasture where a small wheat stubble field runs between standing corn and sunflowers. Upon arrival, the first doe of the evening was already in the field, but we didn't have a shot. We needed to sneak to higher ground, so crawling we went. When we arrived at the spot we needed to get to, she was gone. Back into the corn. So we decided to set up a few rows deep in the corner of the flowers and wait it out.
Doe #2 arrives about a half hour prior to sunset, but being 12 and already having a long day, my daughter was in another place mentally. By the time I got her focused, #2 lost in the corn. However, she was now on high alert. Sunset, doe #3 appears from the corn. She's on this one. The doe is broadside and dad is thinking "SHOOT!" No shot and the doe starts moving. She stops. "SHOOT!" No shot, she starts trotting again. This scenario plays out several more times before the doe slips into a dip. I tell my daughter that as long as the doe keeps moving, she will come out a little closer to us. Sure enough, the doe appears where predicted. Standing...Broadside. "SHOOT!".....BOOM.... and the doe is down.

We head to where the doe should be and what do we find, a button buck. Boy did that bring back some memories and a few tears. We had a great conversation about hunting and its importance. I was curious why she had taken so long to shoot, fearing what the answer might be. She simply said, "well, it just kept moving." What a relief. We tagged him, field dressed him and headed back to the truck. Again, the conversation fell to my first deer, how proud I was of her and how proud her grandpa would have been. So I asked her what she thought of deer hunting. Her response, "I love it, can I shoot one one with my bow?" Mission Accomplished.
12042722_10153666536776667_7056183862356554318_n.jpg

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 49
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 19