What happened to the popularity of Honda engines?

MicLee

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back when 4-strokes first came out, I swear all I saw were these Honda engines. Now, I cannot tell you the last time I saw one on a new boat. Not at a boat show, a pic posted anywhere, nothing. Is it just because there is more competition out there now with Yamaha and Suzuki, etc? I just feel like I hear nothing about Honda engines anymore. Never see any repower ads. Never see them as a sponsor of anything or anyone. I have read that people still consider their engines to be good but maybe a bit pricey.

It just seems weird to me with how much Honda is pushing into the other small engine markets (generators, lawn mowers, etc), but they have been quiet on the marine front for many years.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
From what I understand, the Honda you put on your boat will outlast you. Maybe that's the problem, they don't break down.

DerHornen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think competition is partly to blame,and it seems few dealerships in ND carry Honda. The other manufacturers have stepped up their game and closed the performance and reliability gaps. Another thing is the changing ownership and contracts between boat and motor companies. Mercury, Lund, and Crestliner share a parent company. G3 is owned by yamaha and skeeter has a close relationship to them as well.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah it comes down to available service, the dealers are few and far between to start with so getting parts or a tech with actual know how and tooling to be able to work on them is going to be even harder unless one goes to an actual Honda outboard selling dealer with a Honda outboard trained tech.

Mr.Mike

Founding Member
Founding Member
From what I understand, the Honda you put on your boat will outlast you. Maybe that's the problem, they don't break down.

I think you hit the nail on the head! I know the 25 Honda I threw on my old Lund 16ft will still be running when I'm turned to ashes. ; )

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honda generators and small OB's are being sold by Home of Economy stores. As for engine service/parts, most Honda OB's 90HP and up have slightly modified auto engines. The moving parts are the same. My '97 09HP Honda is a Civic engine. Why would I buy parts/service from a marine dealer at 3X the price?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77