What have you cooked on an open fire ?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My sister gave me a nice 3 piece set of cast iron, a dutch oven with lid, and a huge fry pan. 6 years later they are still in the box.

Someday I will make this happen.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
My sister gave me a nice 3 piece set of cast iron, a dutch oven with lid, and a huge fry pan. 6 years later they are still in the box.

Someday I will make this happen.
Even at home i prefer to use my cast iron. cooks way better than any other cookware we own.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see a lot of dutch ovens without the recessed lid that holds coals on top. If you don't have one and are looking they cook more even.
Our favorite dutch oven meal is a small buttercup squash filled with brown sugar and butter. Surrounded with potatoes, onions, and sausage. Add any of your recent game harvest like grouse or squirrel. Last top it off with bacon. We burry it in coals, or set it on some and heap the lid with coals. Often we suspend it over the cosls and again heap coals into the recessed lid. Depending on your fire anywhere from one to five hours.

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been using my cast iron on the traeger at it have been working great made some chicken noodle soup. I know it is cheating but the food taste the same.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been using my cast iron on the traeger at it have been working great made some chicken noodle soup. I know it is cheating but the food taste the same.

Close maybe... sorry not the same. A pellet grill will never touch a stick burner or wood fire. Im not knocking them and would love to own a traeger one day. but at least to me there is a better taste to BBQ that has come out of a well seasoned stick burning smoker. just my 2 cents

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
So when you are burying your dutch oven in the coals and putting coals on top... do you put more wood on at some point or is there a nearby fire you rob coals from?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any time "Over the Campfire" cooking comes up, my mind immediately goes to "Stand by Me" and "Vern" losing his hamburger into the fire, digging and poking, getting it back and admonishing the others with, "Screw you guys, I got it!!".

My YouTubefoo is weak, I couldn't find a video of the above scene.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
all I remember of stand by me is the epic puke scene.

fatty McGee, blowing puke all over the place, then everyone started puking. Awesome I says

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
all I remember of stand by me is the epic puke scene.

fatty McGee, blowing puke all over the place, then everyone started puking. Awesome I says

It's not puke, it's barf:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
So when you are burying your dutch oven in the coals and putting coals on top... do you put more wood on at some point or is there a nearby fire you rob coals from?

I keep a fire going so I have more voals if needed. I don't bury my oven, only put coals under it and fill the lid. I always have to add coals to the top.

Every time I have tried burying my oven I smother the coals. fon"t know what I am doing wrong.

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
One thing that's worked great for me when I'm using the skillet over the fire is to use a weber grill lid.

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
goose bacon.jpgSome goose bacon
pizza.jpgcrude cooker.jpgPretty crude cooker, but after a bunch of beer making it, it works great

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member

When I bury it the hole is dug in the fire pit, put a shovel of coals in then the oven. I add some more coals on top and side then cover with dirt and ash. I rake coals on top, oven is a good 6" below surface. This is for an all day low and slow cook like a crockpot. Just dig out and remove with care, a whisk broom helps remove junk from outside of oven.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88