What in the hell?!?!?!

Skullet

Established Member
Nasty1.jpgNasty2.jpg

Anybody ever see anything like this? Looked healthy until I took a knife to it.
Looked like the meat was made of sawdust. Pissed me off. What a waste of a 22 inch fish. The entire thing was inedible.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
You caught a fish that had Sandy Flesh disease or problem, it is a disease in walleye that shows up in walleye once in a while. Usually in the past found more in Devils Lake than Sak., but I would guess it could show up in walleye anywhere. You can look it up on google and get some information on it. Has been discussed on these sites before. dukgnfsn

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yes just "sandy flesh". They look completely normal externally, but then you open them up and unfortunately find out its best used as coon bait. I'm from Nebraska and I used to fish a lake where you would catch them every once in awhile.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been a long while. Last one I saw was early 90's from Indian Hills on Sak

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a couple from Alkaline earlier in the season. An older gentleman told me it was because they did not lay their eggs until so late in the season because of the cold water. Eggs basically went to hell before they were released. ???? I guess no reason to doubt him.

grizzly

Established Member
seen that in fish down here in NE in big mac a few years ago and caught 1 at Harlan county this year they called it sands desease

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thank goodness you didn’t release it back into the lake like those selfish catch-and-releasers who always come on here preaching their filth.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a couple from Alkaline earlier in the season. An older gentleman told me it was because they did not lay their eggs until so late in the season because of the cold water. Eggs basically went to hell before they were released. ???? I guess no reason to doubt him.

Not so sure that the Physiology works that way. Eggs not layed stay in the sac until they are reabsorbed; but do get a sandy appearance as they break down. They do not migrate into the muscle (meat) to be reabsorbed.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha! I don't know if you're using double or triple sarcasm, but made me laugh anyhow...

It really irks me that guys will return fish to a reservoir where municipalities draw drinking water. Do you know what fish do in there?! I won’t drink tap water in Bismarck. It tastes like Missouri fish poop and pee and fornication. Yuk!

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ha! I don't know if you're using double or triple sarcasm, but made me laugh anyhow...

sort of like Ralphie and the double dog dare

- - - Updated - - -

20190601_080130.jpg61122010_1087705858093577_1347234483731955712_n.jpg

Anybody ever see anything like this? Looked healthy until I took a knife to it.
Looked like the meat was made of sawdust. Pissed me off. What a waste of a 22 inch fish. The entire thing was inedible.

has a bad case of 10 ply

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 41