What is this?

sdwxman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey all, decided to do some rooster hunting after killing my deer yesterday morning, and ended up shooting a very odd looking pheasant.

The picture does not show it, but it did have a full set of tail feathers before falling off during the retrieval, and the bird had very tiny spurs, and some faint red coloring around the eyes. Otherwise it pretty dark, almost black. Crop was full of corn.

Check out the pics. I'm guessing some sort of pigment/melanin issue or its an exotic pen raised bird.

IMG_1025.jpgIMG_1026.jpg

Attachments

IMG_1023.jpg

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd say that's DINNER!! Unless the meat is the same color as the feathers. Then it's fertilizer. Would have been a cool bird to see whole though.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I used to help with a pheasant "hunt" operation we would get one of those from time to time. Maybe 1 in 500 or a thousand.

freiday31

Founding Member
Founding Member
Based on the lack of a significant eye patch, I would say that is a juvenile melanistic rooster. Just the opposite of an albino.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Based on the lack of a significant eye patch, I would say that is a juvenile melanistic rooster. Just the opposite of an albino.

That would be my guess as well but would like to see the spurs to be sure. So yeah you have yourself a little black cock....your wife would have preferred it be a bit bigger I'm sure!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
This may turn into a bonanza. You'll probably have enough educated pheasant protesting around your house to keep you fed all winter with a pellet gun.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think I would put any part of that black cock in my mouth. :confused:

Looks cool. I would prob consider a mount if the tail feathers weren't missing.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84