What's in your garden?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a huge early carrot going under straw then it disappeared. I'm pretty sure I found it in the laundry room when I was installing the boot rack in the dryer. I'm thinking the dog brought it in when I was at work.

Pigsticker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tomatoes, onions, a variety of peppers. These are the ingredients I use for my home made salsa. I also do pole beans, potatoes, zucchini (yellow and green), spaghetti and butternut squash for storing. A big row of raspberries, multiple varieties. Asparagus, strawberries, dill and cucumbers. Also lettuce, spinach, radish and carrots. I also have a bed for horseradish root. Corn of course with an early and late variety. Also, red onions for fresh eating.

I also have a good size orchard with lots of fruit that has good quality fresh eating varieties. I really like that cucumber trellis. I'm gonna have to try to make something this year otherwise they just sprawl out of my beds and onto the ground.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Planted tomatoes, cukes green peppers, hot peppers, carrots, kolrobie, sweet onions,
Ive been doing this for years when I pick the carrots at the end of the year I put them in a gallon bucket with a paper towel and when the towel get wet put in a different one I put them in the spare frig down stairs they are as fresh as the day you pick them still snap. always last though March when they run out. Spyder250 you can do with the preen what you want but do you know the vegs. that you pick to eat have that in them. Now I had a good friend of mine that did that for years and I don't know if that caused his brain tumor or not I'm just saying.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
For tomato cages, if you want strong collapse-able ones they arent too hard to make out of the heavy wire cattle panels you can buy at Runnings, for like $20 each. Each panel will make 2 cages and last probably a lifetime. Metal is soft enough to cut easily with a standard bolt cutter, or angle grinder.

Grainbelt

Founding Member
Founding Member
tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, onions, carrots, spinach, cucumbers, artichoke, peas, beans, radish….I’m sure I forgot something.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Right now I only have some flowering plants/native grasses mixed in to see if anything actually grows in the dang thing. Moved in last August and the garden was just dirt. Not even a weed was around. I don't have much of a green thumb but I think some peppers and tomatoes and many some cucumbers would be about all I can fit in there. Off to menards.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
its our 1st year doing a real garden
yesterday we bought about 6 types of peppers ranging from bell to habenaro
Tomatoes, we didnt know what kind to get for salsa and sauces we make so we went with several types, beefmaster, cannonball, amish paste, and a few others
Onions, corn, green beans, snap peas, watermelon, cucumbers and im sure im missing a few. but we will see how this goes
Kinda worried about the tomato cages wifey got. look rather flimsy

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Salsa garden for 15 years now. We also plant some lettuce, carrots, peas, and have a strawberry patch, and asparagus patch (took 3 years to establish)

Fresh tomato with my farm fresh bacon is about the best BLTs and summer food a guy can whip up on a hot summer night.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Salsa garden for 15 years now. We also plant some lettuce, carrots, peas, and have a strawberry patch, and asparagus patch (took 3 years to establish)

Fresh tomato with my farm fresh bacon is about the best BLTs and summer food a guy can whip up on a hot summer night.

So true regarding BLTs. Tried heirlooms yet? Purple Cherokees or Brandywines, etc. ? Oh man they are on another level.

fullrut

Founding Member
Founding Member
As far as tomato cages go, a buddy of mine uses this along with a steel post. Just wrap it in the desired circumfrence and zip tie to the post. Varying sizes avaiable. In the fall he just snips the zip ties and rolls up for next year.
3621334prod_det-1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Lots of tomatoes (41 this year), lost count on peppers, red and white cabbage, broccoli, butter cup squash, spaghetti squash, zucchini, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, peas, green beans, beets, carrots, lots of different onions, baby choy, lettuce, leaf lettuce, purple and white kohlrabi, radishes, honey dews, spinach, elephant garlic and some more I can't remember off the top of my head. Still have some room left. When veggies get down to clearance prices, I may fill it up. Spuds are very easy to come by an we do sweet corn seperately, about 3 acres worth.

Attachments

garden.jpg

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
My favorite thing out of the garden besides tomatoes for BLT's is the yellow zucchini (or it might me a squash). I slice it into medallions and bread it and cook it exactly like pan fried walleye.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Planted yesterday got tomatoes, cucumbers, sugar snap peas, green beans, few peeper plants, brussel sprouts, carrots, onions and radishes. Anybody got any tricks on keeping rabbits out of your garden? Last couple years they have eaten a lot of my plants. Thinned a couple out with the bow though good practice;)

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I liked the idea of a salsa garden so much I went to menards at lunch and stocked up on Roma tomatoes, habaneros, jalapeños, soranos, cilantro, some other sweet peppers. I think that's it. I'll have to obtain onions from the store. Not much room in our garden. All planted and got the grass mowed tonight. Off to find a Busch light. I'm going wags left one laying around.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Big fan of what u have there trapper. My mother in law is trying it this season.

I have peppers and tomatoes in so far. Cucumbers, peas, carrots, corn, new strawberry/raspberry patches, and watermelon to go. Oh pumpkins are in as well. Hopefully finish tomorrow 😀

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
So true regarding BLTs. Tried heirlooms yet? Purple Cherokees or Brandywines, etc. ? Oh man they are on another level.

That was all I planted. Kellogg's breakfast, mortgage lifter, brandywine, boxcar willie, and on and on. Usually had 60-80 tomato plants each year. Had an Amish family that baked bread for our shop and that toasted, mayo and salt and fresh ground pepper would be breakfast, dinner and supper many a day in August.

Hope everyone's garden is a success this year.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I liked the idea of a salsa garden so much I went to menards at lunch and stocked up on Roma tomatoes, habaneros, jalapeños, soranos, cilantro, some other sweet peppers. I think that's it. I'll have to obtain onions from the store. Not much room in our garden. All planted and got the grass mowed tonight. Off to find a Busch light. I'm going wags left one laying around.

Wow we could about be brothers right down to the ice cold Busch light.
Thumbs Up

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 144
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88