What's in your garden?

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I have a few questions
Do you prune your pepper plant seedlings?
How many weeks do you allow the seedlings time to adjust for outside before planting?
Should I use a cage or a stake to support my plants?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I have a few questions
Do you prune your pepper plant seedlings?
How many weeks do you allow the seedlings time to adjust for outside before planting?
Should I use a cage or a stake to support my plants?

I'm no help in that department, Never grew peppers but you do realize we still have one more snowstorm right ? :)

367 days ago .

snow-breck-Nick-James.jpg

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Peppers love to be close. I plant them about 8 inches apart. No more than a foot. I have never heard of pruning them.

Peppers are normally easy to grow. But temps in the low 40's can stunt them. Thus they are the last thing I plant. After June 1rst.

Hot weather can cause them to drop the buds. Thus some growers shade them during really hot weather. Last year I raised peppers in a raised bed, they were the best ever.

I normally put my peppers and tomatoes out for a few hours for a couple of weeks before planting. So much depends on the wind factors. That's why I like the boxes. The wind is minimal.

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to cage them but last year I started using stakes and it worked very well. Tomatoes IMO need cages, they get too heavy to support themselves. Peppers dont seem to have that issue, even my heavy producing bell pepper plants supported themselves very well with a central stake holding them up. If you need a source for nice oak stakes(in bis) send me a PM, they are free.

BTW Im going to be using Rollerhook's for some of my tomatoes and cucs this year, should be interesting.
Rollerhook-big.jpg

Last edited:

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does everybody just row garden for the most part? Been reading about square foot gardening looks kinda of interesting claims to be able to plant lots of produce in a small area with minimal weeding.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do a little of both , I have good luck with grow bags and tomatoes so I like to play with them. Nothing fancy, I either use 2x4s or 4x4 landscape timbers or even dirt to make a basin and lay the plastic sheeting over it . Last year I used an old wagon wheel rim and plastic and it worked good. Amazing how forgiving of a system it is, leave the garden hose that drips a little and walk away for a month. (Leaky hose ends are a dime a dozen) Larry Hall from Brainard is a well rounded guy from Worms to gardens I have learned a lot from his videos.
I ordered some of his recycled plastic grow bags, They were well made, This is the start of year 3 and they are fading but still holding up good. What I like about Larry is that he is not in it for the money. He sells grow bags but yet he will stand there and brag up a 50 cent walmart grow bag and tell you it works just as good. Lots of ways to garden and it doesn't take a very big area to feed a family.

- - - Updated - - -

Bugs me that he goes through all that work to use a rain gutter and those cups when a plastic drop cloth does the same thing and you set the bags right in the water, Look better too.

Last edited:

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is a cool concept may have to try some plants in grow bags. My garden is about 4x12 right now, looking into next year already my break up/till a little more to about 10x12 and have been looking into using the space I have the most efficiently. Square foot gardening and the Mittlieder method of garden have both caught my eye.

Also got everything in my garden planted this past weekend, now I got to sit on my deck and hunt rabbits little buggers have eaten a lot out of my garden last couple years.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife's garden has little stubby plants and fat cottontails. My neighbor to the east warned me there are "bunny huggers" in the neighborhood so don't use my pellet rifle. Someone called the cops on him.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife's garden has little stubby plants and fat cottontails. My neighbor to the east warned me there are "bunny huggers" in the neighborhood so don't use my pellet rifle. Someone called the cops on him.

They are usually easy to spot.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member

I've used my bow and got a couple rabbits hanging around my garden in town. I shoot my bow at the target quite a bit so figured if accidentally missed the target and hit a rabbit it was just an accident....nobody has said anything to me yet or I have been called in by the cops either.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Low velocity 22's. Way quieter than pellets.

Correct out of a rifle. CCI CB's or their new "Quiet" are no louder than the click of the firing pin. The Quiet have an available frangible bullet which would be ideal. Be damn careful about ricochets. It's disconcerting to hear the click followed by a whine as loud as a bottle rocket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4qE-m-MMx8

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ytndFsMyj0

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQH403D-6Ek

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cattle panels all over the garden today as Trapper62 suggested. Made a lot more room for other produce. Now what should I plant. Carrots me thinks.

Made a round cage for the tomato plants as well. How to get those cattle panels into a round shape? Pulled the spare tire out of the back end of my pickup box and commenced to "roll" it up in the cattle panel. Then had to work it into an eighteen inch diameter cage using a block of wood and a ball peen hammer. Slow process but it worked. Hog rings to close it up. Staked everything down with t fence posts and wooden stakes. Wife says more perches now for the sparrows. yay!!

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Correct out of a rifle. CCI CB's or their new "Quiet" are no louder than the click of the firing pin. The Quiet have an available frangible bullet which would be ideal. Be damn careful about ricochets. It's disconcerting to hear the click followed by a whine as loud as a bottle rocket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4qE-m-MMx8

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ytndFsMyj0

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQH403D-6Ek
They definitely will bounce. I found out the hard way. Be careful.

Odin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I started no-till gardening last year and the only weeds I have this spring are on the Edgewater of the garden.

Has anyone used a post and tied their tomato plant to it as it has grown?

Last edited:

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thinking of making my garden bigger for next year already and probably going to till up a smaller section of grass. What is the best way to till up a new spot. Spray with round up this fall and break up the area in the spring? Or will the round up leave residual in the soil/garden area is it better to just till over the area a couple times?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it was me I'd probably start now by mowing around the spot and let it grow out 5 inches or so then spray it with roundup and leave it about a week 10 days then mow it short and till it a few times before fall so your ready just incase we get a crappy wet/cold spring.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Round up does not leave a residual, I would start now, and keep tilling, and let it grow, and spray as needed.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 56