Wheel house on North Central Nodak Lakes?

phillyblunt701

Founding Member
Founding Member
Finally bought an ice castle this last spring and have been itching to take the family out and spend a weekend on the ice. Seems like it's going to be impossible to take it out with my truck now with all the snow. Is there any lakes within 2 hours of Minot a guy can get his house onto and get around decently with a truck and 17 foot ice castle? Thanks for any input.

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
fishing yes, catching is a different story. Majority of people fishing that area are there since it is one of the few spots with "good" access.
Audubon at the Totten Trail ramp will get you fishing.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
That's true. Not many options for wheel houses this year. Considering building ski's for the shanty. My uncle has a geo tracker with tracks. The combo would get us most anywhere.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I feel your pain. I don't have a quad or snowmobile so when I'm fishing I'm using my sled and two legs and for the most part I haven't been very successful finding a good bite. I'm in pretty damn good shape but hauling the sled all over a lake gets tiring and frustrating. Very disappointed with this fishing season so far.

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member
I feel for anyone owning an ice castle the last few years. Especially those who don't use it as a camper in the summer too.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
But a plow for the front of your truck and chain it up.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Audubon has 2 good accesses. One off totten trail and one off the old cabins. Don't venture too far off the plowed roads and you should be fine. Fishing is hit and miss, but the opportunity is there. I don't know if any other lake that a guy can pull a ice castle onto.

Fish whisperer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I feel for anyone owning an ice castle the last few years. Especially those who don't use it as a camper in the summer too.

I bought my permanent last summer and had it out about 5 times(12-14 days) last year. Used it once this summer and have had it out twice this year. Headed out on Friday/Saturday with it and my oldest daughter. Then next Wednesday we head to Lake of the Woods for 5 days so mine is getting plenty of use. Luckily we haven't had a ton of snow yet and I can pull mine with my buddy's 4 wheeler so I don't need 2 ft of ice either. No regrets for me.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had mine for about 5-6 years now. Spent quite a few nights on the ice early on(good conditions and no kids). It is currently all dressed up with no where to go. I would like to camp out with my oldest son this winter, but that looks like a long shot with all this snow.

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought my permanent last summer and had it out about 5 times(12-14 days) last year. Used it once this summer and have had it out twice this year. Headed out on Friday/Saturday with it and my oldest daughter. Then next Wednesday we head to Lake of the Woods for 5 days so mine is getting plenty of use. Luckily we haven't had a ton of snow yet and I can pull mine with my buddy's 4 wheeler so I don't need 2 ft of ice either. No regrets for me.

Glad you have but you are certainly the minority. I have 4 buddies who all own them. The last few years they have gotten out only a handful of times. Between sketchy ice then too much snow. One lake in Central ND with limited options to get on the ice, this year it isnt looking any better for them

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think I would rather have a little Zak-Shack like wheeler ice house than a big castle. That's the fist thing I thought when I seen them, they have little clearance, and look way to heavy to pull around on shore, up off road hills, and deep snow on the ice. Especially where I fish (Oahe), access can be a bitch if you don't live on the east side or in Mobridge. We mostly use prairie trails to access the shorelines, and need 4-wheel drive. Can't see pulling a nice castle down those trails and up and over some river hills on a normal year. Some guides in Pollock use Sno-Bears, If you can afford 15K and a tracked 4-wheeler, which is what you'll need to pull it anywhere to catch fish, then you might as well go all the way and get the "Bear"

phillyblunt701

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am glad I ended up getting an RV Edition which has worked out awesome for camping during the summer. I'd really be kicking myself if I would have just bought a regular fish house.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 84
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 31