Who got their head inspected?

Freedom

★★ Legendary Member
There's a big difference between tossing an animal due to a positive test and killing a visibly sick animal and not eating it. I don't think anyone is recommending eating a visibly sick animal. My comment about folks tossing an animal was in reference to a person tossing an elk that looked healthy and tested positive.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did take mine in for the simple fact that it was on a relatives land that does have a few deer around. Said he had one that was a little off but thought it may have just been wounded. Haven't heard back yet.
The one I shot looked absolutely healthy.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There's a big difference between tossing an animal due to a positive test and killing a visibly sick animal and not eating it. I don't think anyone is recommending eating a visibly sick animal. My comment about folks tossing an animal was in reference to a person tossing an elk that looked healthy and tested positive.
This is not where my question was heading.

My question had to do with how does one decide when a deer with CWD is NOT okay to eat. Where is that grey area where you do or do not eat it. How do you tell? What if you miss the key points that would have made you decide not to eat it. We "must" have decided it wasn't good to eat it at some point. Will that point be at different times for different people. If "I" decide that I won't eat a deer because of visuals that turn me off, should we fault the guy who decides that it is okay to eat it? And are we not eating it because it is sick? Or are we not eating it because it is sick with CWD? Or just "has" CWD?

"Looked absolutely healthy" What does that mean? Does it mean different things to different people?

Different topic.
How much beef do you eat from cows/beefers that are on their way out? A butcher friend said that as long as the cow can walk to the processing area, it is okay to butcher it and use the meat. ?? Don't know if he meant for personal consumption or for sale to the "unsuspecting" consumer.

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
have in the past, didnt this year. kinda forgot about it to be honest.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would not assist anyone wanting to make hunting more difficult. Especially for something as unproven and nebulous as CWD being a threat. That said, anyone who willingly and knowingly consumes any animal that's looks, acts, or otherwise appears to be unusual or suspicious is asking for trouble. Fear is the preferred emotion played upon by those who seek power and control. It says in 2 Timothy Ch 1 vs 7-9: For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of sound mind. Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God; Who hath saved us, and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

Meaning we are to use our sound minds to compare what is said to us by men to what is said to us by our Heavenly Father. For those wondering about who the "prisoner" is, it is Paul. He wrote this book while in prison for following the teachings of Christ. Carry On!!

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I looked at the lymph nodes on my elk this year. Seemed healthy. Didn't see the need to pack those heavy nodes out with the skinned skull and meat

Freedom

★★ Legendary Member
This is not where my question was heading.

My question had to do with how does one decide when a deer with CWD is NOT okay to eat. Where is that grey area where you do or do not eat it. How do you tell? What if you miss the key points that would have made you decide not to eat it. We "must" have decided it wasn't good to eat it at some point. Will that point be at different times for different people. If "I" decide that I won't eat a deer because of visuals that turn me off, should we fault the guy who decides that it is okay to eat it? And are we not eating it because it is sick? Or are we not eating it because it is sick with CWD? Or just "has" CWD?

"Looked absolutely healthy" What does that mean? Does it mean different things to different people?

Different topic.
How much beef do you eat from cows/beefers that are on their way out? A butcher friend said that as long as the cow can walk to the processing area, it is okay to butcher it and use the meat. ?? Don't know if he meant for personal consumption or for sale to the "unsuspecting" consumer.
Personally I won't test. So cwd or not isn't really in the equation for me.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_9371.jpeg

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
KDM I interpret the passage you shared a little different. I think its saying do not fear to testify of your faith and that it is in our lord and savior Jesus.
Fear itself is not bad. It keeps people with brains off thin ice. It keeps most teenagers from driving 100mph everywhere they go. It keeps most certified aholes from robbing people. It even keeps many with little brains safe.
KDM I always smile a happy smile when you quote scripture, because I know I'm not alone on here.

Browneye

Founding Member
Founding Member
still cutting neck steaks in recent years - anybody else?

1701303536576.jpeg
I have never seen a steak cut from there and it makes me curious. How are they tender wise? I would think they would be better than a round? Or how do you usually cook them? I always trim my deer necks as high as I can go for grinding and it always amazing me how much poundage you can get from a big buck. It also looks like it would make an awesome roast.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never seen a steak cut from there and it makes me curious. How are they tender wise? I would think they would be better than a round? Or how do you usually cook them? I always trim my deer necks as high as I can go for grinding and it always amazing me how much poundage you can get from a big buck. It also looks like it would make an awesome roast.
Season liberally and pressure cook it… like spare ribs or some such.

Or braise slowly in beer or wine… “ox tail” style.

It’s really flavorful like most of the high-mobility muscle cuts… and cooked until tender it’s fantastic IMO.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
And yes, they’re called neck roasts. I would think an internet search would yield specific recipes.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88