Why do i need a cwp?

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why do I need a cw permit? It's concealed nobody knows or should ever know I am carrying.....I don't see a reason for it other than the law knowing I have a weapon and a way to collect revenue. They give the permits to guys who can't legally even buy a pistol! Yet I have to pay a fee get finger printed yada yada bunch of bs. If they aren't going to monitor who gets these why even have them. Personally I think they are a waste and a bunch of bullshit.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree it's a bunch of bs. Any law abiding citizen should be able to carry concealed. Getting a permit is just another money making scheme by local gubermints. Same with licence tabs. Pisses me off.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess I really don't have a problem with filling some things out and giving a print or two, I have to do the same to own a business. At the same time I don't disagree with you guys either. If there is an upside in the permit it might not be in obtaining one but in the consequences for not having one. There are a lot more gang bangin wannabees out there who think they are bad asses with a gun pointed at their junk than most people think. Its so easy for them to get a slap on the wrist for so many things nowadays I don't really mind having one more reason to throw these d-bags in handcuffs when the opportunity arises. I've seen it a few times in recent years but I know someone who is horrible when it comes to picking significant others. Story as short as possible he ran off with the checkbook, spent about $2k. Thought he was Ike Turner, was on drugs,...etc. Still not much from LE until she finally came clean and said he carries a piece in his pants. Sure enough they found one and turned out he was a multiple felon from another state. Apparently just felony theft and assault wasn't a big enough deal to pay much attention to. Now in this case if LE treated thieves like criminals in the first place guns and permits would be an after the fact. Maybe its just me but I don't seem to have much faith in that happening real soon.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like to use my utah cc permit to verify my age at the new family fare liquor store. Makes me feel like a rebel..... haha

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would say it's mainly to make sure you know what you're doing. While the test (in ND anyway) is pretty easy, at least you have to read and think about the laws a little to pass it. There is no shortage of idiots out there, and I'd rather not have them carrying around a gun they may not know how (or more importantly, when) to use.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sportsman first hand is where I got my info I watched a guy give his cwp to gun dealer get turned down because he was on probation, thing is he got his cwp while on probation. thus why I brought up the point I'm not here to bullshit you or come up with a bs story to stir the pot. I just think this whole permit thing is a crock, when people are getting them and aren't able to buy a pistol. If it was a thing where they wanted to educate or train they would have a better class. I knew a chic who has one too doesn't know how to load a clip, she has it to carry a taser in her purse Just my rainy day bitch session.

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sportsman first hand is where I got my info I watched a guy give his cwp to gun dealer get turned down because he was on probation, thing is he got his cwp while on probation. thus why I brought up the point I'm not here to bullshit you or come up with a bs story to stir the pot. I just think this whole permit thing is a crock, when people are getting them and aren't able to buy a pistol. If it was a thing where they wanted to educate or train they would have a better class. I knew a chic who has one too doesn't know how to load a clip, she has it to carry a taser in her purse Just my rainy day bitch session.
How did they find out he was on probation if you have a ND cwp and buying a gun in ND they don't have to do a background check?

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am going to tell you this one more time he got the cwp while on probation went to buy a pistol on probation denied pistol.
Fracman I think you are wrong they still call a pistol in to FBI.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
HEY!! I was wanting to talk about slip bobber colors! WTF?!

Stephen Johnson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have purchased many firearms from AR15s to many different handguns/pistols since I got my concealed carry abnd dangerous weapons permit. At Scheels, walked in, picked out what I wanted, filled out the paper work and walked out with my new purchase. Yes even handguns. They do not call them in. With my local dealer it is the same way, walk in browse around, pick something out hand him my CCW and my license, fill out the paperwork and give him the cash and I am on my way home. No waiting around for the phone call etc. So no they do nto have to call anything in if you have your permit/license. It is not required because all the background checks have been done already.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
I. Don't have permit walked into scheels pointed at my ar filled out paperwork grabbed my ammo and was ready to go too. So what you are telling me is with a permit you fill out paperwork but they don't call it in? I think that is bs. So if I had a permit committed a crime I could walk in and buy a gun with no check just show my cwp even though I have broken the law??? If that's true it goes to prove that a permit is more of a crock then I before thought even though as I stated before I watched a permit holder get denied.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had one for many years. BCI isn't the last background check, the FBI is (BCI contacts FBI). It's not only quicker when buying a firearm, it hurries passport renewals and any other government business as well. I got one because of the limitations of having a handgun in a vehicle after dark (no trunk in a pickup or Suburban). It also seemed to make border patrol/customs more trusting when we crossed the US/Canadian border last summer. The extensive background check shows up on more government agency records than we suspect.

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I. Don't have permit walked into scheels pointed at my ar filled out paperwork grabbed my ammo and was ready to go too. So what you are telling me is with a permit you fill out paperwork but they don't call it in? I think that is bs. So if I had a permit committed a crime I could walk in and buy a gun with no check just show my cwp even though I have broken the law??? If that's true it goes to prove that a permit is more of a crock then I before thought even though as I stated before I watched a permit holder get denied.
If you have a ND cwp and you are buying a gun in ND pistol rifle shotgun they do not have to call it in. That is why I asked how did this guy that you know has one "that got it while he was on probation" get denied for a gun.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you have a ND cwp and you are buying a gun in ND pistol rifle shotgun they do not have to call it in. That is why I asked how did this guy that you know has one "that got it while he was on probation" get denied for a gun.
because he was on probation.....was the explanation given to him when denied, after a stop was put on the transaction by the fbi and he called in later. what I'm saying is he got the permit but couldn't buy the pistol because of probation. I'm pretty sure you/your paperwork still gets checked. Me not beings permit holder I haven't researched any of this yet. But I bet you are getting checked by the fbi

Nd is not a point of contact state thus fbi checks you after a quick search.nd has no laws making dealers check background it's all run through the FBI.

Last edited:

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
because he was on probation.....was the explanation given to him when denied, after a stop was put on the transaction by the fbi and he called in later. what I'm saying is he got the permit but couldn't buy the pistol because of probation. I'm pretty sure you/your paperwork still gets checked. Me not beings permit holder I haven't researched any of this yet. But I bet you are getting checked by the fbi

Nd is not a point of contact state thus fbi checks you after a quick search.nd has no laws making dealers check background it's all run through the FBI.

One more time if you have a ND cwp and buying a gun in ND they do not have to call it in. Since the do the same background check on you to get your cwp. You still fill out the form but they do not call. I bet he check yes for being on probation on the form. Which means the gun store could not sell him a gun.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's the difference is i would bet i know the guy extremely well and was standing right next to him have known him his whole life and questioned the fact that he was able to even get a cwp? but he had it showed it and the guy at runnings ran paperwork then said that he couldn't sell pistol to him because there was a stop put on the sale. the guy at runnings doesn't know why and isn't entitled to that info but gave him a number to call to figure out why it was put on, the guy called it and was told that he couldn't purchase because probation. I can't be any more clear than that sportsman. As you stated maybe his probation stopped him from buying a gun but not getting a permit, which is why i say these permits are crap. I can legally buy a gun, this guy can't, yet he can carry concealed because he has a permit do you see the flaw here???? or am i spurring a dead horse these permits are a joke and not doing what they are intended to do.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
seriously coming from the guy with mr epic FBO meltdown as his avatar, if you aren't him, I don't think i am lashing out i just think that the fact a guy can get a cwp and be denied a gun is counter effective? THe thread is why do i need a cwp? i put out true facts that happened in real life not a fake scenario. and for the record he didn't check that he was on probation on the paperwork, he figured he wasn't on it anymore since he recieved his concealed permit. i watched him hand his permit to runnings guy and fill it out yes no no no no no no......like most all of us do.
Also I'm not saying that you shouldn't be able to get a permit if you has/have an infraction i'm saying if it stops you from purchasing something that you would/could then conceal, what is the point of having a permit and all the background checks. that's it sporty don't try to read into it to far bud.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74