Why so many secrets? Fishing info.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Seen someone post this on walleye central, and it made me curious as to what the NDA community thinks.

Why are some fishermen so secretive about their success/failures? Is this just a ND thing? I've heard of some areas that are much better for sharing info.

Quote from post:
When asking people around here is like pulling teeth, they just say "Yup fishing is good we limit out everyday" Asking them on what lure types? What depth? I asked 5 other boaters this week while trying a new river system never been on before and everybody says well once you figure it out you'll never fish the lake again.

Again why so secretive? Its not like your little honey hole is going to be out fished in a few days and no fish will ever go there again and you'll have to find a new spot. THEY MOVE, There are hundred of thousands... were in one of the greatest fisheries in the United States and you can give a little information about how to fish for them?

Ugh this makes me so frustrated so basically end rant. Opinions?

For me, I usually find it very pleasant to talk to other fisherman. I offer what I know
, and usually get info back. I did get a little push-back on facebook ... someone stated "why would I tell where I'm catching em". I messaged back, that most people look at reports for more general info: lures, depths, colors, etc...

So what's everyone's opinions on this?

credit to BigVix on WalleyeCentral

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've seen a spot killed with stringers of fish I knew I released from previous years. I let "my" technique become too public. It's nearly back to normal after 10 years (!) but at only certain times and days...called the warden but not much good after the fact.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
As a general rule I dont give exact spots unless its already flooded with boats. But info on lure, color, speed, etc, im happy to share.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
sportsmen in general are funny creatures... i give info and advice all the time to whoever asks...

you should buy a boat like mine and where i bought it, set it up like mine, buy a truck like mine to pull it, use the same bait i do, fish the same times and way i do... but if you fish "my" spot, i will get in your face, hit on your wife, and kick your dog...

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
This was a shore spot and the info you're willing to divulge helped kill it. When the boy was three, he nabbed a 28in which is on his wall. Mounted by Frenchy. I pushed him into the "big ones" too quick. Now all he does is pine for bluegills and bobbers. This is fine. Remember at this age with "my" technique, they are fishing just as much to please you as please themselves. I would definitely recommend a more balanced approach than I had at his young age. He has a lot of bragging pics but looking back, I'm not sure he was having fun with the process. In my defense, he sure did like it when I got the net. Again, in my detriment, I'm not sure he liked the "fishing" part as much as he should have.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not chatty @ the ramp or the cleaning station. I'm trying my best to "get in and get out" so the next guy can do the same. Other than that I'm generally happy to give general info about depth, speed, structure, lure preference, etc.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
I try to take the "to each their own" when it comes to discussing this type of info. I enjoy chit-chat at the ramp and reading good solid fishing reports. I don't see anything wrong with giving depths, lures and even general directions to a good spot. I think that giving too much info takes away from the hunt but I don't believe in keeping most info stored away. I think fishing is something that is learned and that learning can be obtained by a mixture of ones own experience and by someone else's. It just depends on how bad one wants to learn.

Fishing is just as fun as catching. Any help the I can give or get is a plus. Win win.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually give advice on the common generic things I feel I have already mastered. Like creek chubs for example...If there was only one creek in ND with chubs in it, you would never even know I have used them for bait, but since they are in virtually ever creek in the state I divulge tons of info on the topic. Now ask me about a bay where giant pike or walleye spawn and I'll be pretty tight lipped because obviously I don't want my spot hillbillitized by every douchebag with a zebco 202.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
To me it is about developing the skills it takes to be a good fisherman. I have taught myself to fish well. Lots of time, lots of thinking (like a walleye), lots of reading, lots of time and a pile of gas.

I'll give out little bits of information, like bait used, but many times people are not catching fish because they are not paying attention to their/the environment. They just need to think a little.

It depends on who's asking also. If it is some 20 year old who wants to show off his dads boat...he gets nothing. If it is the 70 year old who has done his time on the water he will get what I know.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I generally like to see everyone be successful, but shore spots and boat spots are NOT the same animal when it comes to being talkative or secretive. The time it takes for a shore spot to go from pristine and lonely to a shopping mall food court complete with garbage, yelling kids, and rotting fish is sadly very short these days. Just take a look at the garrison tailrace and you'll get the picture. With that being said, I usually give whatever info I can to help other fishermen out. It keeps the picture section of this site lively. I will keep a few shore spots all to myself however. Boat spots I'll give anyone the exact info on how I caught my fish. More often than not the fish will move by the time they get there and if not, good for them. I hope they fill their boat as well.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well said ndwalleyes. I feel the same way completely. I have been burned plenty of times by close friends. I brought one friend to a little lake and we hammered walleyes and perch. The next day he brought his father in law. The weeks after that, his father in law and buddies hit the little lake hard. Another friend now has his uncles house parked feet away from our ice house most winters. So my time, effort, money and knowledge is now getting taken advantage of.

There's still the right person out there that'll get my secrets. I let most people know what lure, depth , speed, bait but I won't say location unless I respect the person.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Secret spot fishermen/presentation=rookie. I always look at it as another spot exists with bigger fish. I will and do give out spot techinque info at cleaning station or in another boat next to me. u would be surprised what giving does for u as u gain friends and end up getting back more then u gave. Just like other things in life.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
It depends on the lake. Big lakes / river systems have plenty of diversity to offer, so I'll tell you everything I know. However, I've seen small lakes in ne SD get "fished out" over the course of a few months because people can't keep secrets. I guess I'm selfish, but I don't get to fish nearly as much as I'd like, so when I get to go, I'd like to catch fish instead of spending time finding new lakes.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I should clarify a little....

In my mind there is a large difference between a fisherman and someone who likes to catch fish. I'll share information with other fisherman, especially our youth who show a passion. The kind of passion that puts you out on the water when it's ass cold and everyone is at home on the couch, or the guy that fishes a dead sea for the chance he might catch a fish, while he enjoys a day on a lake by himself experimenting with presentations.

It's easy to show up at the Hazelton boat ramp and ask questions when the bite is on.....

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah I agree with a lot of other posts. For me, I will generally share all the basics when asked. Lures, speed, depth etc. I'm not gonna give exact locations. As a competitive person, I feel like I'm cheating if someone gives me exact location. I assume others are the same.... All that said, I'm not going to go out of my way to throw a fishing report on a social media site for all to see about a specific lake, especially if it's a small lake. Why would I want to go from fishing beside one or two other boats, to forty? I'm not saying it's MY spot, I just enjoy the peace and quiet style of fishing. Everyone has the same opportunity to find those spots as I do. If that makes me a bad person in some minds, then I guess so be it.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am always sharing spots, and friends share with me.
at the cleaning station is when it's the worst, bunch of know it all jack@sses. I got ask or give at the cleaning station

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you want to see tight lips head to MN. Those guys are like steel traps on area lakes. I like to share info back and forth with real fishermen that appreciate it. Sometimes the relationship works and sometimes it doesn't.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey Ish, do you have anything to do with saltwater?

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think for Oahe the biggest reason guys are tight lipped or down right lie, is tournaments. In the Mobridge area, there seems to be a tournament every weekend.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will tell people technique and depth and stuff just not gps location. I can understand on the little lake being tight lipped but with all the room here on oahe and its generally pretty simple find the right structure and you will find fish i am not to worried if some one is in a spot i wanted to go i will just move on to one of the other 300 good places to fish.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74