Will all this snow raise water elevation?

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just wondering if anyone thinks this moisture will help lake levels on OAHE?

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gotta think so. One would think they would have to make some room in Sak in case things get crazy with snow between now and April.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most of the snow weve had has litlle moisture content. It will help some, but not alot.

Greenhorn

Honored Member
From my understanding, it’s the snow in the mountains that really affects the system. Out here a lot of the melt soaks into the sandy/salty soil, whereas the mountain snowmelt goes straight to the rivers with not as much evapotranspiration taking place.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm hoping but I doubt it too. It seems that when the south starts flooding, that's when they shut down the flow from Pierre south.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone remember when Sak was turning into a slough? Anyone remember Tim's 4lb 30in walleye?...Anyone remember the huge flat faceted boulder on the west "beach" of the 'Race me and the boy used to call the "Meteor"? I loved that rock as it was perfect for propping rods with shelves to hold bait cartons, etc:

Then came 2011. The "Meteor" may now be in Bismarck. Don't get snagged on it assholes:).

Oh fuck. Wear your mask and don't warm up your vehicle on Martha's Vineyard:

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most of the snow weve had has litlle moisture content. It will help some, but not alot.
I do not know where you are located, but here in Bismarck and the vast majority of the western 2/3 of the state saw snow to water ratios of 10-12 inches of snow to 1 inch of water. Anytime you get snow in that range it's widely considered "heart attack" snow.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I do believe Sakakawea's level is mostly impacted by the inflows from the west, but a "heavy" winter can't be a bad thing for all the ND lakes/sloughs.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a friend who watches soil temp a fair bit. I know at least in W ND, the soil temp was above freezing when the bigger snow systems arrived. Now the snow is like an insulating blanket and unless we drop into the deep freeze for several extended periods over the winter, the frost won't be as deep and much of the snow will soak in as it melts rather than running off.

The other unknown of course is the speed of the spring thaw. If we get some of that out of the ordinary really warm days very early the snow may melt too fast to soak in even with reasonably shallow frost depths.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
According to the MT snowpack report, it is looking pretty decent as of now. So we just need to keep our fingers crossed that these % maintain or get higher to see some good lake level increases.

https://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/data/water/wcs/gis/maps/mt_swepctnormal_update.pdf

1672155487773.png

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm hoping but I doubt it too. It seems that when the south starts flooding, that's when they shut down the flow from Pierre south.
I agree with this. Unless something happens down south to cause them to reduce the flows, it will just pass right on through and not raise Oahe, unfortunately.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84