Winchester Model 70 extreme weather

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have any experience with this gun? Wonder about the grip and balance? Is stock smooth or does it have a little grain? I know it has a fluted 22in barrel i believe.

Side note..I bought a browning xbolt ss stalker last year in 25.06. Used it first time this season. Discussed on here before I think. Anyway, great gun, great caliber but I just can't get used to a clip and the more I carried the less I liked the 24 in barrel. Just preference. Think I may trade for the Winny or sell if anyone has interest.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lop the bbl and re-crown? I know this doesn't address the magazine...

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I purchased a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS in 270 last December. The stock is somewhat smooth, but does have texture to it as well. I had no issues with grip both with and without gloves on. Overall I'm really happy with my purchase and shot 3 deer and 1 antelope this year with it.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
prob not a bad idea svmag.

Nanky is the action as smooth as all other winnys? I have a 22.250, 270 FW and a 7mm wsm all with wood.

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
prob not a bad idea svmag.

Nanky is the action as smooth as all other winnys? I have a 22.250, 270 FW and a 7mm wsm all with wood.

Very smooth action. No complaints from me on anything so far.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have any experience with this gun? Wonder about the grip and balance? Is stock smooth or does it have a little grain? I know it has a fluted 22in barrel i believe.

Side note..I bought a browning xbolt ss stalker last year in 25.06. Used it first time this season. Discussed on here before I think. Anyway, great gun, great caliber but I just can't get used to a clip and the more I carried the less I liked the 24 in barrel. Just preference. Think I may trade for the Winny or sell if anyone has interest.

Why don't you like a clip?? I personally look for guns with clips when I am looking at purchasing. Easier to load and unload in my opinion

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
If this was the old FBO about ten guys would have jumped you about using the word "clip" just to show everyone how much of a gun expert they were. I won't name any names. I guess now I'm the d-bag gun expert. Oh well...

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha-ha I let it slide. That was the first thing I saw when reading it though.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Obi wan...I guess I kinda feel opposite. Feel with MAG u are loading twice. Push in the MAG then push MAG in. Actually I don't hate magazines just used to hinged floor plate. More dislike 24 in barrel.

Ps sorry fellas is detachable magazine better than clip or is it something else lol!:)

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My next upgrade will be dbm but I want it for time constraint reasons. Shooting five and then having to load again and get back on target is a challenge.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Detachable mags in a bolt gun make handloading a pita.

Unless it's one of the many short action chambering magazines that allow a 3" coal vs. 2.8" most internal box mags allow.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 37
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 12