Winnipeg 2018

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
T-Minus 1 week... Shallow bite still going on? And by shallow I mean 5' under the ducer!!

iceeyes

It has defintely been a different bite than the past I've been up here. The shallow bite seems to be diminishing but what's left shallow are the right ones. This morning we marked 4 fish shallow (3.5ft) below the ice and they were a 26,27.5 and a 29 and lost a 12to13 lber below the ice. Doesn't appear at all to be any numbers left shallow but the big girls remain in there if you are patient. Have also found a 10 to 12 foot bite which seemed to be holding the eaters. When a flurry comes through you go from 5 to 25 fish in 15 minutes but the big girls seem not to be in that mix as we have only got one good one riding out the numbers. And then we found a deep bite 17 feet very similar to the shallow bite patients but only big fish. Had 2 other guys up here and we sat out there one day and came up with 3 30 inchers 1 29 and 4 27s. We only caught 10 fish there between the 2 houses but 8 were big ones. So we have kinda put together our morning evening spot and found a day spot for a couple big bites. I'm not here to catch numbers and am perfectly fine with a few big bites.

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It has defintely been a different bite than the past I've been up here. The shallow bite seems to be diminishing but what's left shallow are the right ones. This morning we marked 4 fish shallow (3.5ft) below the ice and they were a 26,27.5 and a 29 and lost a 12to13 lber below the ice. Doesn't appear at all to be any numbers left shallow but the big girls remain in there if you are patient. Have also found a 10 to 12 foot bite which seemed to be holding the eaters. When a flurry comes through you go from 5 to 25 fish in 15 minutes but the big girls seem not to be in that mix as we have only got one good one riding out the numbers. And then we found a deep bite 17 feet very similar to the shallow bite patients but only big fish. Had 2 other guys up here and we sat out there one day and came up with 3 30 inchers 1 29 and 4 27s. We only caught 10 fish there between the 2 houses but 8 were big ones. So we have kinda put together our morning evening spot and found a day spot for a couple big bites. I'm not here to catch numbers and am perfectly fine with a few big bites.

any issues with game wardens pirating spots?

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m starting to think it’s better up there December through Feb than it is in March. We’ve timed it the last few years to be up there one
of the last weekends in March, and it’s been horse crap fishing. We tried everything from 6 fow to twenty some foot and were putting on 60 Miles a day. Just couldn’t find anything but eaters. We decided to take the year off this year.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m starting to think it’s better up there December through Feb than it is in March. We’ve timed it the last few years to be up there one
of the last weekends in March, and it’s been horse crap fishing. We tried everything from 6 fow to twenty some foot and were putting on 60 Miles a day. Just couldn’t find anything but eaters. We decided to take the year off this year.

I've had good and bad that time of year. River starts to flow and you fight with water clarity. I've done very well in January and February, but if it's -10 in Minot, it's -30 up there. March can be tough, but the weather tends to be better. Someday I'll be up there and won't get ice auger ADD.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
It must be good up there this year, im getting some pretty big ones a month ahead of schedule for the usual winnipeg rush.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had good and bad that time of year. River starts to flow and you fight with water clarity. I've done very well in January and February, but if it's -10 in Minot, it's -30 up there. March can be tough, but the weather tends to be better. Someday I'll be up there and won't get ice auger ADD.

yeah it was definitely flowing both the last two years and dirty as hell. I guess the thing to do is buy your license and just be ready to take off on a whim. Then there’s the whole place to stay issue tho....

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can you atay on the ice in a wheel house on lake winnipeg? someone told me it was illegal?

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member

I've had the best luck going up there in Jan-Feb the past several years. The March bite has been phenomenal in the past (3+ years ago), but the last two years have been duds. And usually in March, everyone is up there so you have a hard time getting lodging, etc. I'm not really a huge fan of crossing pressure ridges that are opening up with planks or dealing with honeycombing ice either.

Also, in March, my biggest problem is driving over that Mighty Mo and seeing the boat ramps in.......

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can you atay on the ice in a wheel house on lake winnipeg? someone told me it was illegal?

You can stay out there, but no adult beverages on the ice. I've seen some park their ice castles just off the ice on a road and camp. Then they run out every day on a snowcat or four-wheeler.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had the best luck going up there in Jan-Feb the past several years. The March bite has been phenomenal in the past (3+ years ago), but the last two years have been duds. And usually in March, everyone is up there so you have a hard time getting lodging, etc. I'm not really a huge fan of crossing pressure ridges that are opening up with planks or dealing with honeycombing ice either.

Also, in March, my biggest problem is driving over that Mighty Mo and seeing the boat ramps in.......

Yep, all true. Last year I yanked a guy out of a ridge. He was so damn close to going in. Don’t get me wrong, we had fun, but just not what it was when we started up there. Next year I may plan a trip in December to fish the river and another in Jan or feb.

HammsRMK

Honored Member
We have a group of about 10 heading up March 22-25 staying in Selkirk at canalta inn. Tight lines everyone!

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We have been bringing the wheelhouse up for 3 years now. Works out great, no loading/unloading stuff.

First year we parked right off the landing, ran the generator at night to charge the flashers. The generator was stolen on the last night, right outside the door. Dumb on us for not having it locked up.
Past couple years we lock everything up, and haven't had a problem. Last year in March we were technically on the beach, so beverages were had. Game warden might not have been too keen on the technical aspects of that though haha.

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gal dang im excited!! Wont be getting much done today!! March 15 can't come soon enough. Driving pickups all around still? Better with a 4 wheeler? Tracks?

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was a great trip! Huge thanks to iceeyes for pointing us in the right direction. Great guy who was incredibly helpful in getting us on the fish! Snooty Patooty was the best crank and large spoons did really well too.

IMG_0055.jpg

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Was a great trip! Huge thanks to iceeyes for pointing us in the right direction. Great guy who was incredibly helpful in getting us on the fish! Snooty Patooty was the best crank and large spoons did really well too.

maggie-q-vegan_0.jpg

Who painted your lures?

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who painted your lures?
One would hope that Snooty is only coming out of the DH Customs shop. If there's someone out there that has stolen that pattern and is copying it for his buddies, that guy is a piece of shit. But that goes without saying.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11