Winter Sucks....and the deer don't like it either!

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://kfgo.com/2020/03/03/game-and-fish-offers-wildlife-food-plot-seed-2/

The North Dakota Game and Fish Department is offering free seed for the 2020 growing season to landowners who are interested in planting wildlife food plots for pheasants.

Private land section leader Kevin Kading said rather than a traditional corn or sunflower food plot, Game and Fish is offering a seed mix that provides increased plant diversity, including flowering plants from spring through fall, which will attract insects, the major diet component of pheasant chicks. Additionally, he said the mix will provide needed cover during spring and summer, as well as a winter food source. Other wildlife species will also benefit from this mix.

“Most Game and Fish food plots are part of the department’s Private Land Open To Sportsmen program,” Kading said. “This food plot campaign does not require a PLOTS contract, but we are asking participating landowners to allow reasonable public access, which could mean simply providing access permission to hunters from time to time, putting up ‘Ask Before You Enter’ signs around the area, or not posting the surrounding land.”

Kading added that landowners participating in this promotion cannot charge a fee for hunting.

The department will provide enough seed to cover up to a maximum 5-acre planting at no cost to the landowner.

Landowners who are interested in receiving the food plot seed must sign up online by March 31. Seed will be available in April at Game and Fish offices in Bismarck, Jamestown, Devils Lake, Harvey, Dickinson, Williston and Riverdale.

Game and Fish private land biologists can provide technical assistance on food plot location and site preparation.

Landowners who are interested in additional financial incentives may be considered for the PLOTS program as well. More information is available by contacting a private land biologist at any Game and Fish office in the state, or email ndgf@nd.gov.
Wife mentioned this idea this morning. I will have to check into it. I hope they have no rules like have to let people hunt. I buy seed mix for pheasant's to plant from CHesak seed in Bismarck like $35 for alot of acres. Not big deal, I feed about 50 to 100 easy but in my area no hunting so they have it safe for most point. Deer are down big time maybe 10 to 15 few smaller bucks biggest at times 150 when breeding seasons rolls than never again. Alot of good crops and land for them not to get bothered.
As mentioned I get my corn and hay from farmer friends cheap trade for working and also get to hunt their land too. Labor of love I guess.

$

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Wall;

Was looking into this to help the birds in one of my larger deer plots.
Guess what comes with the free seed. db

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wife mentioned this idea this morning. I will have to check into it. I hope they have no rules like have to let people hunt. I buy seed mix for pheasant's to plant from CHesak seed in Bismarck like $35 for alot of acres. Not big deal, I feed about 50 to 100 easy but in my area no hunting so they have it safe for most point. Deer are down big time maybe 10 to 15 few smaller bucks biggest at times 150 when breeding seasons rolls than never again. Alot of good crops and land for them not to get bothered.
As mentioned I get my corn and hay from farmer friends cheap trade for working and also get to hunt their land too. Labor of love I guess.

$
My food plots usually get over ran with deer and by this time every year all food is gone.

Not this year. In the fall of 2021 EHD killed the deer big time. A few mule deer survived it.

Chesak has a good mix of millet, turnips, radish and piper sudan. Use a pearl millet. Red Proso or Japanese White. The trouble with millet is the first snow will take it down. Piper Sudan will help hold it up.

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Good news, fellas. I saw two robins today -- winter is over. I don't think we have to worry about the supposed snow that is coming.

In actuality, I'm guessing the male will be getting an earful from the female all weekend..."I told you we should wait to fly back, but Mr. Know-it-all could feel in his hollow bones that it was time. My mother was right about you."

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good news, fellas. I saw two robins today -- winter is over. I don't think we have to worry about the supposed snow that is coming.

In actuality, I'm guessing the male will be getting an earful from the female all weekend..."I told you we should wait to fly back, but Mr. Know-it-all could feel in his hollow bones that it was time. My mother was right about you."
Haha i saw a bunch of robins two weeks ago here i bet they made a quick u turn

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
There's been a Eurasian dove living in the evergreen trees across the street from me for a month now.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
Eurasian doves don't migrate, a week ago in below zero weather i saw a mallard by the 6 mile bay bridge in dvl

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
If any of you want a bluejay, or three. Let me know and you can come take the noisy SOBs away. I too saw a eurasian collared dove in Bismarck the other day. Getting some chow at Big Boys. The cedar waxwings are fun to watch as they sit in a line and pass tiny crabapples to the one at the end of the line. Plenty in the tree for all, but I think they just enjoy the teamwork.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't seen my redheaded pecker since October, so there is that
1678302578601.png

...rofl...

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have had the collared doves in the backyard continuously for the last 10 or so years, and the damn jays since november

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spring snow goose season has been open for over 2 weeks now. What is everyone seeing for birds? Where are the hotspots?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spring snow goose season has been open for over 2 weeks now. What is everyone seeing for birds? Where are the hotspots?
Missouri and Arkansas. I did see they pilled a bunch up down in Yankton but with the amount of snow its going to be a while to they get up here. Should be some good sheet water to set up on this year

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
They're already in Alaska, you missed it.......sorry with the weather I couldn't help myself

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 158
  • This month: 147
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88