XL vs XLT?

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Looking at replacing my 2007 F-150. Anyone know the real difference between XLT and XL? From what I can see, it's basically vinyl floor boards and an AM/FM radio vs carpeted floor and a radio you can connect your phone to for $6000.
I like bare bones...am I missing something worthwhile if look at XL?

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member
What comes standard on an xlt is usually an option on an xl. It's mostly creature comforts that will make the difference between the 2. For work or using on the job the xl is the way to go. Resale is something to consider too

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The new XL/STX trim package includes much more standard features than they used to. In 2014 bought a new XL/STX trim with the 5.0 - ran it for almost 7 years...zero issues/great truck. In 2021 got a new XLT with the 5.0, but considered another XL/STX. Would have had zero reservations getting another XL, just liked the interior setup on the XLT. I would drive them both/compare them side by side, then make decision. Can't go wrong with either...think the biggest question with getting a new F150 is which motor to go with...good luck!

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Don't drive Fords so don't know a lot about the difference between XL and XLT. But here is my take on upgrades to vehicles and I'm sure every company is similar. When I was a young lad and starting to drive, air conditioning was not common, especially in pickups. But once you had it I'm guessing most never bought another vehicle without it. Then came power windows and AM/FM radios. How long until they added tape players? When they came out with power seats and you had them, did you ever buy another without those seats that adjusted with the touch of a button.

My point being that once you get used to the comforts available today, a lot of people consider them necessities. Thought heated seats were useless, until I had them. Add in dual heat control when my wife and I are complete opposites in what's comfortable. And heaven forbid, don't get used to heated steering wheels.The difference between options is what you want, not so much in how much power a vehicle has or whether the carpet makes it better. It all comes down to personal choice, just like the color.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sticker prices on the new trucks have me gun shy and hanging on to my wallet with both hands, I don't think you can even buy BARE BONES anymore. Window cranks are gone never see them anymore so if your power this and power that take a crap after the warranty is off its north of 500 just to look at the problem. My 2007 xlt was that way. Electric gremlins that could not be caught and vice-grips dont fit on power buttons. LB

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sticker prices on the new trucks have me gun shy and hanging on to my wallet with both hands, I don't think you can even buy BARE BONES anymore. Window cranks are gone never see them anymore so if your power this and power that take a crap after the warranty is off its north of 500 just to look at the problem. My 2007 xlt was that way. Electric gremlins that could not be caught and vice-grips dont fit on power buttons. LB
That's kind of where I'm at. Don't really want to pay $55-60K for a new pickup with a lot of crap I don't care about. AC, cruise control, power seat, and keyless entry will do it for me. I can even see the vinyl seats as a plus.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My F250 is an XL, vinal floors, manual lock-out front, bench seat, cloth seats, crank down windows, cruise control, air conditioning, tilt wheel and key locks. 6 speed manual trans. Seat cover went on week after I got it home, one of those pet friendly ones cause labs like to ride shot-gun. AM-FM radio good enough for me. She's a 2005 with 80,000 on it. Now days lucky to put 3,000 a year on it. No dents or rust so far, did come with fancy heavy duty aluminum wheels and chrome bumpers and class 3 hitch for pulling. They will take my keys before I sell it, Love that truck. LB

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That's kind of where I'm at. Don't really want to pay $55-60K for a new pickup with a lot of crap I don't care about. AC, cruise control, power seat, and keyless entry will do it for me. I can even see the vinyl seats as a plus.
Vinyl floors, not seats...I remember those seats from the 70s. Free your ass in the winter and burn your legs in the summer. Hard "Nope" on those. 🤣

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My first car, a 1952 Buick did not have crap but did have an AM radio and clock which i assume at the time was an option. But then i paid $50 so one gets what one pays for. And i got both to work.

Later by my senior year i was looking at a XLT i believe those were the letters, in a 63 Ford, two door, hard top with vinyl. Black with a red interior. 390. Man, that was a nice car and was willing to pay the additional.

Today in a Dodge Demon, the rear seat is an option at $2. db

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It appears only xl was made in 63. db

NodakBob

Honored Member
check with the dealers and on Ford's factory website...sometimes they will be pushing one model over the other with rebates, package discounts, etc.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
For you DB-2!

1677363210491.png

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember back in the day looking at classified ads. Looking at trucks, it was either auto or manual with R and H.
Radio and Heater 🤣

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
My first car, a 1952 Buick did not have crap but did have an AM radio and clock which i assume at the time was an option. But then i paid $50 so one gets what one pays for. And i got both to work.

Later by my senior year i was looking at a XLT i believe those were the letters, in a 63 Ford, two door, hard top with vinyl. Black with a red interior. 390. Man, that was a nice car and was willing to pay the additional.

Today in a Dodge Demon, the rear seat is an option at $2. db
That would more than likely be the Ford Galaxy XL. Had a 390 4 bbl and would really lay the rubber.
A good friend of mine back then had one.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in the day the STX models were a good compromise. Nowadays they are dam near as much as the xlt package. I would probably not buy a XL because the STX would be the bare bone options I would ever consider.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Vinyl floors, not seats...I remember those seats from the 70s. Free your ass in the winter and burn your legs in the summer. Hard "Nope" on those. 🤣
now its just the opposite --- burn your ass during the winter and cool your ass during the summer.

ford needs to have the high on seat burner turned down.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
The last time I bought a truck I regretted getting an extended cab instead of a crew cab. Did it because an extended cab worked at the time and didn’t want to spend the few extra bucks to upgrade. I should have just ponied up the extra coin. I do agree the sticker prices are a shock! When I was looking a year ago the minimum price of a truck was 50k!

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
You are 5 years too late! You could find a STX with just what you are looking for back then for a decent price. Now it’s a 50k minimum

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
i they should offer rubber floors instead of carpet in every model as a option.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Zogman:

That was it and as a 16-year-old it was tops even if it was a Ford.

But out of my price range, too new, and got a 58 Buick Super tank. Traded 57 Mer 352 in and $400 to boot. A lot of memories in that 58 in Fargo even if it was a tank.
At the time, buddy had a 442 and the car did make a different with meeting the ladies on Broadway however the Buick made a different once the ladies where in.

A lot of room to drink beer and mix drinks. Bucket seats and 4 on the floor were a bitch plus no room in a coupe to wrestle with the company.
I remember the first time the ladies were in the 442. We said we were low on gas and needed to get the Buick. Damn thing would not start. db

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84