XL vs XLT?

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
You are 5 years too late! You could find a STX with just what you are looking for back then for a decent price. Now it’s a 50k minimum
relax guys----- plenty of hold overs ----- let the interest rate grind. 50min -- no way --- go in and talk to the dealer they are bumming to get rid of these -- go east if you need to.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That's kind of where I'm at. Don't really want to pay $55-60K for a new pickup with a lot of crap I don't care about. AC, cruise control, power seat, and keyless entry will do it for me. I can even see the vinyl seats as a plus.
I sometimes wonder how much I'll pay for my last vehicles. Sticker price currently is above the $50K for both my pickup and wife's vehicle. Bought my first new car when I graduated from college in 1972 for $3200. Price on every vehicle since then has been higher than the previous cost. It's the same for most things a person buys today. 16' pleasure/ski Boat in the early 80's with 115 Mercury was about $10,000. First golf cart, $1500, Last year needed ;) a new one, $8000. Hell, probably bought my first Zebco 33 for about $10. Nothing has gotten cheaper has it.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I sometimes wonder how much I'll pay for my last vehicles. Sticker price currently is above the $50K for both my pickup and wife's vehicle. Bought my first new car when I graduated from college in 1972 for $3200. Price on every vehicle since then has been higher than the previous cost. It's the same for most things a person buys today. 16' pleasure/ski Boat in the early 80's with 115 Mercury was about $10,000. First golf cart, $1500, Last year needed ;) a new one, $8000. Hell, probably bought my first Zebco 33 for about $10. Nothing has gotten cheaper has it.
Your salary in 1972 was also probably 7500 so it's somewhat relative.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
$3,600 for new 73 Cutlass in 1973 (at the time my take home pay was $350/month). Next was a 77 Cutlass Saloon, five speed manual, for $6,500 in 77 (take home pay was around $1,000/month). Order and made in Texas. Stil have. First one payment of $126/month and i believe the 77 was also around maybe somewhat more. Lost tract.

Only new car since was a 2019 Buick the wife bought. This time was finally able to pay cash. All others were used including all pick-ups. Started that with a 53 IHC given to me, then a 77 GMC for $700 cash and sold for $500. There will be no new vehicles in our future unless the wife decides she wants a newer one.

I am not paying much more if any for my Old Mill since i started drinking the stuff. In the 70s at Steve package store in Fargo it was $3.12 for a 12 pack. Not sure what i pay now days.

However, I have no desire to lay out those kind'a funds when i have my dream in an all-around 97 Dodge Cummins. db-2

Last edited:

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Your salary in 1972 was also probably 7500 so it's somewhat relative.
No where close to $7500. Signed first contract for $6300 and thought I would have all kinds of money. Then I had to start paying my own rent, own insurance, all the things required to live it seems. Was going to college and costing me maybe $3000/year. Living in dorm and eating in food service was considerably less than real cost.

It did all work out however. Got married, raised a family, eventually got things paid off, Retired comfortably as long as I don't buy too many $50,0000 vehicles.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
College cost for me retired ed:

In 68 my senior year at NDSU my dad put $1000 into my checking the fall of 67. Made it to the spring of graduation after he put another $100 in. That cover all cost for those 9 months with about $60 left. That was for everything. I did not work while going to school. Was his hire man on the farm for covering my needs in life.

First year it was $800.

Then my first full time job after college paid $80/month. US Army plus room, board, clothes and medical. And all the good times one could handle. By 1970 it was up to $372/month, no tax and the beautiful mountains of northern Vietnam. db

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
the ones that are really going to get their ass handed to them is the boat and motor manufactures.
College cost for me retired ed:

In 68 my senior year at NDSU my dad put $1000 into my checking the fall of 67. Made it to the spring of graduation after he put another $100 in. That cover all cost for those 9 months with about $60 left. That was for everything. I did not work while going to school. Was his hire man on the farm for covering my needs in life.

First year it was $800.

Then my first full time job after college paid $80/month. US Army plus room, board, clothes and medical. And all the good times one could handle. By 1970 it was up to $372/month, no tax and the beautiful mountains of northern Vietnam. db
DB --- 1983 tuition was $240 a quarter at NDSU.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't drive Fords so don't know a lot about the difference between XL and XLT. But here is my take on upgrades to vehicles and I'm sure every company is similar. When I was a young lad and starting to drive, air conditioning was not common, especially in pickups. But once you had it I'm guessing most never bought another vehicle without it. Then came power windows and AM/FM radios. How long until they added tape players? When they came out with power seats and you had them, did you ever buy another without those seats that adjusted with the touch of a button.

My point being that once you get used to the comforts available today, a lot of people consider them necessities. Thought heated seats were useless, until I had them. Add in dual heat control when my wife and I are complete opposites in what's comfortable. And heaven forbid, don't get used to heated steering wheels.The difference between options is what you want, not so much in how much power a vehicle has or whether the carpet makes it better. It all comes down to personal choice, just like the color.
I thought the heated steering wheels were a joke. Until my wife got a Buick with one. Now I think they are the greatest invention in the history of the planet!!

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
They were really great when they came on the snowmobiles. db

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heated seats are the cat's meow too.
Even put heated seats in our Polaris General last Fall, my bride gets cold very easily since her cancer and until the Polaris heater gets warm those seats keep her toasty warm. Easy project except for the hundreds of staples to pull and put back in.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84