You just CAN'T make this stuff up.............

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Let me set the stage first. I was muddin' today in the same spot I was yesterday when I tagged those nice walleyes. I was casting up current with my bobber rig and minnow and letting it drift down. I had been there for about 2 hours with nothing to show for it when another land based fisherman joined me. He set up about 15 feet up current from me and was going to cast RIGHT were I had been fishing to to start my drift. At this point I had a dilemma. Be an ass and tell him to move or cast a bit short and let it ride. I decided to let it ride and began answering his questions about how fishin' was. All was going well, until he made his first cast. He retrieved his twister tail about to where I was previously fishing before and he reared back and set the hook. I rolled my eyes as he was playing the fish and then he asked me to help him net the fish as it felt pretty good. WELL........."Pretty Good" turned out to be a 10 lb 12 oz walleye which I was surprised he released. He was understandably happy and was all chatter about that big walleye after that. As for me it was bittersweet. On the one hand I was happy to see someone get a good walleye and on the other hand I was a bit miffed. Then to add a bit of lemon juice to the papercut, He then proceeded to smack 4 more walleyes from the same spot. I managed only 2 small fish before darkness set in and we both left. I'm still shaking my head at how things work out. Tight Lines Everyone!!!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Perhaps this was some sort of spiritual "asshole" test.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
KDM you will be going straight to heaven some day.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
And the message was: Embrace the joy of others and put a twister tail on one of your jigs you dumb dick.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
And this is river fishing in a nutshell. Or just fishing for that matter. You handled it right KDM - kudos. I'm not going to tell the Sheyenne Master how to fish, but next time I'd remember to switch it up an hour into fishing when you haven't produced on bobber. We all get stuck in patterns certain days and forget what we practice on successful outings.

But really, did it have to be a 10 lber? I can learn that lesson with 3 18" fish just the same. Glad he put her back!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not so stubborn that I won't change it up if that's what the fish want svnmag. I tried to put on a twister tail and copy what he was doing, but the section of water in front of me was covered in that green filamentous algae that covered the jig if it got even close to the bottom. His section of water obviously didn't as his jig was free and clear all the way back to shore. Like I said, I'm still shaking my head. Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did you try pitching a jig at all? Out here on the Mo we see it all the time where me and the guys I'm fishing with will be slamming eyes pitching jigs well the people right next to us catch next to nothing on lindy rigs on a set rod with bells. never have figured out why people watch others around them slam fish but don't bother switching to what is clearly working. Obviously your bobber rig had been working so a bit different scenario to what we see out here. Out here its almost as if these people think you can only fish one way and that's what they do day in and day out no matter what.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Plus, now you know where to set up.

Steve.

No matter how good we are at our craft, there's always learning to be had - sometimes they smack you in the forehead and you are simply reminded of how human you are.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep!! Every day is different though. I'll probably have two rods tomorrow instead of one. One with a bobber rig and one with a jig so I can switch between them throughout the day. Spring is so much fun. One day the fish want super slow and the next it's burning fast. Guess I got caught being stuck in a rut with what worked the day before. It wasn't the first time and I'm fairly confident it won't be the last either.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah Dean I tied on a jig twister tail in the exact color he had after he smacked the second walleye. I'm dumb sometimes, but even I know a good thing when I see it. Just wasn't able to duplicate what he was doing where the fish were at. I had algae on the bottom in front of me and he had clear bottom. I was off the mark by about 12 feet. The devils in the details sometimes.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
My prediction for next week's report.

1143838-L.jpg

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think you're a dumb dick. It was just a musing you may have been fishing with Jimmy Stewart.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spring fishing takes lots of patience. Everybody is trying nab their trophy. You have time on your side. Show up early tomorrow and nab a bigger one.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow just when you were sure you had paid all your river dues something like that happens. At least you got a great bar story out of it.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Abab spring fishing takes alot of patience???? Really i thought i just snap the pole and reel em in and post the pics on fagbook. Hahahaha

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 33