Youth Shotgun reviews and comparison

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
LOL SD,my starter shotgun as a youngen as well was a single shot H n R 20ga with a hammer safety,some beech kicked like a mule,can't remember iffin I shot anything with it as I always closed my eyes when pulling the trigger.

My pop's had the same H n R single in 12 ga,he could reload pretty dang fast as he would have a couple rounds inbetween his trigger fingers and the single barrel had ejectors,he could rap off two or three shots on decoying ducks,years later he gave his single to his dad (grandpa) and ponied up for a new rem 1100,I still have it in my collection,memories,our family didn't have much money my dad coming home from korea was broke as I remember,he sent money home to his mom in war bonds for when he came home,she spent every dime,tough times.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
LOL SD,my starter shotgun as a youngen as well was a single shot H n R with a hammer safety,some beech kicked like a mule,can't remember iffin I shot anything with it as I always closed my eyes when pulling the trigger.

Circa 1984/85 my dad brought home a shiny 'spankin new H&R single-shot 20ga. The case colors on the frame I thought were the most beautiful thing in the world. The problem was I could BARELY operate the button to break open the action and the hammer-spring was so strong that it was dangerous for me to actually pull it into the ready-to-fire position and pretty much impossible for me to let the hammer down without firing it. So, it went back and a few weeks later he come home with an older scuffed/scratched up Stevens that I could operate safely. I can't recall if I used it for 1 or 2 seasons and then moved to an 1100 12Ga that he'd had the bbl cut down to 22" and the stock was at least an inch shorter than one of today's "youth" shotguns. But, it fit me. I shot that 1100 basically as a single shot for a summer of trap league w/light handloads. But the time fall rolled around I wasn't intimidated by the 12Ga and shot the 1 1/4Oz 2 3/4" lead #4's we hand loaded on a Lee Load-All for everything. I'm old, lead was still legal for waterfowl at the time.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So much good info here, I appreciate it.

If it weren’t for my fears about the future of gun manufacturing and gun prices I would wait a little longer to make this purchase but I feel like I better get to getting while the getting is still fairly good.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So much good info here, I appreciate it.

If it weren’t for my fears about the future of gun manufacturing and gun prices I would wait a little longer to make this purchase but I feel like I better get to getting while the getting is still fairly good.

Spot on dirty,besides once your youngens out grow the youth thundersticks plenty of other youngens around to take over your shotguns or you can trade to upgrade.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Am I understanding correctly that the heavier 20 gauge .870 with a youth stock has less kick because of the extra weight of the gun?

Or is a youth .870 20 gauge comparable to a regular sized 20 with youth stock, but you get the added benefit that when they out grow the youth stock you just switch and they are still good to go?

This is likely the route I will go.

The regular 870 is going to have more barrel length too. I thought at first the longer barrel might be harder for him to swing and get on target but it wasn't.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Your a lucky Dad if all three girls take to hunting. Get the auto and you will never look back. LB:;:thumbsup

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
All my family have shoot the browning BPS invector 20guage really nice don't think they are made anymore or redesigned I kept it. Shells come out bottom

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Your a lucky Dad if all three girls take to hunting. Get the auto and you will never look back. LB:;:thumbsup

All three of them BEG me to go hunting. I’m a lucky dad for a lot of reasons, this definitely not the least of them! I want to introduce them every step of the way as delicately as I can so their appreciation for hunting only grows.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Circa 1984/85 my dad brought home a shiny 'spankin new H&R single-shot 20ga. The case colors on the frame I thought were the most beautiful thing in the world. The problem was I could BARELY operate the button to break open the action and the hammer-spring was so strong that it was dangerous for me to actually pull it into the ready-to-fire position and pretty much impossible for me to let the hammer down without firing it. So, it went back and a few weeks later he come home with an older scuffed/scratched up Stevens that I could operate safely. I can't recall if I used it for 1 or 2 seasons and then moved to an 1100 12Ga that he'd had the bbl cut down to 22" and the stock was at least an inch shorter than one of today's "youth" shotguns. But, it fit me. I shot that 1100 basically as a single shot for a summer of trap league w/light handloads. But the time fall rolled around I wasn't intimidated by the 12Ga and shot the 1 1/4Oz 2 3/4" lead #4's we hand loaded on a Lee Load-All for everything. I'm old, lead was still legal for waterfowl at the time.

haha sounds just like when I started but I got a 12 gauge and damn did that thing suck. Shot my first pheasant with it but my eyes were closed when I pulled the trigger I am sure. Dad then gave me his wingmaster and shot that up until I bought the franchi last year.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Constant talk of recoil can instill unnecessary fear.

Limb Saver slip-on recoil pads are an option and reduce felt recoil from a 7 mag to .410 level wearing only a T-shirt. Length of pull is duplicated with winter clothing. If it's warm--re-install the pad. Same "jump" much less feel.

Girls look lovely and smart toting SXS's (or 16ga Model 12 Winchesters).

At the range make sure to double hearing protection. While hunting PLEASE protect off ears with plugs as the gun ear is somewhat protected by the Doppler Effect. Noise is more a problem than "kick". Not saying a 12yoa should shoot a superfluous 3in 12/20 "turkey load" through an H&R single bbl.

Immediately came to mind Dirty:

https://youtu.be/fsjXvy2ygKg

images

- - - Updated - - -

cache.php

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
M2 is my fav gun - by a long shot

that raised rib basically gets up where my eye is without me having to “scrunch down” onto the stock

I wear an xx large cap - maybe my giant head is why the M2 seems so easy and intuitive to shoulder

- - - Updated - - -

for that reason it’s maybe not likely to fit youth well - for sight picture anyway

the Inertia drive action of theirs is miraculous

it bends my mind to watch their videos of how it works

genius

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
As my kids grew of age to start shotgunning a couple years ago I went through this exact situation in the quest for a good youth gun. I always thought the youth nova's and 870s were like a tractor, they get the job done but do so in a crude way; they kick like a mule; and they still cost $400+ and the kids will outgrow it within a few short years. I also thought an auto would be better for recoil. Ended up Buying and Weatherby SA-08 Semi Auto 20 GA Youth and then ordered a full size stock that can be installed as the kids grow out of the youth stock. Gas operated and comes with two separate pistons, one for heavy loads and one for light. Shoots 2 3/4 and 3" and only cost about $150 more than a 870. Would've been almost the same price had I not ordered the extra stock. So far so good however I expect this year to be the first it gets a bunch of shells run though it so time will tell.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I started on an 870 12 gauge. On the rifle side, I’ve favored sub 50gr powder charges for the cartridges i shoot as a way to manage recoil. It’s not that I’m afraid of recoil, it’s just not something I enjoy, so I don’t chase it.

For kids, and like many of us in our youths, recoil is something that needs to be tolerated to a degree and managed when possible. I started shouting heavy 3” mags as a kid and I turned out just fine as a shooter. That said, I own the same compact beretta 391 with a 24” tube in 20 gauge as other have mentioned. My kids will shoot that first, but if I didn’t have it, it would be 870’s.

For about the last 10-15 years, I’ve shot an 870 20 gauge with a full length stock with a 21” youth barrel. I love that combo. I’ve said that if my kids start on an 870 20 youth, that they would have the youth stock with the 28” barrel I have for 2 reasons: longer for barrel for muzzle control and added weight to help reduce recoil.

At the end of the day, buy what you can afford and don’t look back. We’ve all had bad recoils moments in our lives. Those who quit because of it, weren’t cut out for it anyways.......haha. You fall down, you get back up.

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You larger than average guyz be wary of these short barrels on your shotguns,example if your 6'+ somewhat muscular or just athletic pointing a shotgun with a short barrel tends to be whippy while wing shooting,a longer barrel gives the shooter a longer sight plain and smooths out your swing,this is fact...at most trap ranges there is a reason accomplished shooters trap guns have 34 to 35" barrels...food for thought.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Anyone else have experience with those slip on recoil pads?

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Not personally,but having one is better than none,my first poor man trap gun was a browning citori special sporting clays model o/u I justified the purchase because it had a 3" chamber,even tho I was skeptical dropping $2k on a two barrel shotgun but figured it would be a good backup in a pinch and all my field loads are 3" cartridges,then shooting registerd trap events all three plus practice rounds in the 1000's I developed a flinch but didn't know it until it was pointed out,had issues pulling the trigger, I blamed the shotgun and over powered factory ammo,old timer gunsmith took me in and fitted my shotgun,first he took off the factory recoil pad,handed it to me said it's a good door stop then he lightened the single trigger pull and installed a gel "kick ezz" recoil pad after he inserted a 9oz mecury recoil reducer in the stock,that tweaking made all the difference in the world,no more flinch scores sored,friends used/purchased these slip on recoil reducers and are happy plus they are cheap asses and only shoot a few weekend every year,but to answer your question dirty "yes" they work.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

I would probably recommend them for changing length of pull over felt recoil since they effectively add a half-inch or so to the end of your stock.

But the actual answer is no, I think they look ugly and I try to not encourage uglification of anything outdoorsy.

Rather than going with the slip-on variety, you can also buy new and better recoil pads that will fit the shotgun of your choice. All you need is a bench mounted belt sander to shape it. I had to replace one a few years ago that the damn dog ate on a shotgun. Takes about 30-45 minutes without ever having done it before.

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked up a Ruger red label O/u this past year in 20ga and put a skeet over skeet choke in it and it shoots absolutely lights out on clays and has very minimal recoil. Just a fantastic little gun. Only downside is probably finding one under 1k nowadays

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 19
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 13
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 8
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 7
  • This month: 6
  • This month: 5