Zebra Mussels Discovered in Twin Lakes

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bummer, I once really enjoyed a few days a summer on South Golden. Surprisingly decent walleye fishery.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There is absolutely no way to stop zebra mussels. (at least from what I can gather)

All they're doing (the Game and Fish) is putting a band aid on a hatchet wound.

I guess they have to do something, or at least make it look so.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is absolutely no way to stop zebra mussels. (at least from what I can gather)

All they're doing (the Game and Fish) is putting a band aid on a hatchet wound.

I guess they have to do something, or at least make it look so.

Right, they know this crap is inevitable, but if they don't do something...there's going to be an outcry on how they stood by and watched it happen without doing anything.

And if they try to do something, there are those who will just say they're using it as an excuse to take more money out of their pocketbook, attempting to force their ethics on people, etc, etc.

Pretty unenviable position they find themselves in on these topics.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never seen zebra mussels like there are in Lake Sharpe right now. From shore you can grab handfuls and in some areas you don’t want your lures to touch bottom. The Corp is going to figure out how they affect their power plant very soon.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never seen zebra mussels like there are in Lake Sharpe right now. From shore you can grab handfuls and in some areas you don’t want your lures to touch bottom. The Corp is going to figure out how they affect their power plant very soon.

They already know. They've been combating them in their powerplants and outlet works for a number of years now on the lower half of the Missouri. I forget the exact dollar amount, but it's millions of dollars a year already for Missouri River dams if I remember correctly.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know people who have a cabin on S Golden and they say they have never seen weed growth like they have this year.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to ice fish golden allot when I lived in Grand forks after college many drunken days and buckets of perch oh the good old days lol

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Round gobies, red ear sunfish (shellcracker)

1725498532996.png

1725498602590.png

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
GNF probably stuck them in there with their stockings from the Valley City hatchery before they "discovered" them in their rearing ponds. My guess is every body of water east of the mighty mo has them by now, they just haven't been "discovered" yet.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know people who have a cabin on S Golden and they say they have never seen weed growth like they have this year.
I am on a lake with zebras ---- the weed growth was duplicated this year with clear water from the zebs AND no snowfall and light played a big part too.

What i notice is that the zebras love to attach to the milfoid and the ate the ends. So what we had is floating dead domestic milfoil (not eurasion). The areas that were crowded with foil were dead and all you seen is the bottom and no weeds taking its place. Yes i believe fish are eating the zebs. You could find 20 zebs on a two foot piece of milfoil. Weird shit. So yes our weedline went much deeper. Were fish hard to catch - i actually caught more fish than the summer before. Were going to run out of depth and soon the weeds will be everywhere making more cover for fish imo.

DL and SAK how have they went this long without zebs?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
GNF probably stuck them in there with their stockings from the Valley City hatchery before they "discovered" them in their rearing ponds. My guess is every body of water east of the mighty mo has them by now, they just haven't been "discovered" yet.
And again I say post#49. Good forage and good eats. They survive Nebraska winters:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redear_sunfish

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 158
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 65
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 49