Dumpin the Dip!!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got sicker than hell for a week and did not chew. Just kept going I felt so bad don't know if I had with drawls. 7 weeks or so and I have gotten past missing it.

greybeard

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good luck with quitting, you can do it! Oh yeah, I also downloaded an app on my phone that tracks the days quite, money saved, etc. I like seeing what I am saving for money, means more toys later![/QUOTE]

What's the name of that app? That's sounds like a pretty good source of motivation!

sd fisherman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I chewed for 25 years. 5 years ago I finally kicked the habit. I had tried many times and different things to assist me. The gum quickly became its own habit and didn't get me over the nic issue. I finally just went cold turkey and plowed my way thought it. Every time I have quit the first two weeks are rough getting through the nic withdrawals. After that it is more about breaking the "habit" of taking a dip. After 5 years, I still find myself reaching into my pocket for a tin. Long standing habits are hard to break.

greybeard

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good Luck Everyone that's trying to "Dump the Dip". I dumped the dip in 7th grade when I swallowed about a 1/4 of a can of copenhagen and spent the next few hours trying to find out if it's physically possible to invert ones digestive system by way of strong and repeated full throttle abdominal contractions.

Lol! That's pretty dam funny, thanks for the laugh!

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive been dipping now for 23 yrs. Quit recently for a month but of course came back. Hard to quit when many of my pals do it. I love having one when hunting/fishing or driving. I have developed bad acid reflux. When I quit for that month it got ten times better. Now back doing it again the acid is bad. Its amazing what we do and go through to feed that addiction. I have tried quitting a thousand times and want to so bad....but can't. Research says cold turkey is the best way. You just have to be mentally ready to take the leap. I'm close.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
My quittin method after chewing for 6 years.

Get really loaded so you do not realize you picked up your buddies long neck Bud he has been spitting Copenhagen in all night and guzzle it. Spend the next two hours pukin your guts out until the smell of Copenhagen gives you the gag reflex.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tried quitting smoking many many times and was never able to. Asked different people what would work best to help kick the habit, such as patches,gum,seeds,candy ect. Most gave me the same response. When you're ready to quit you will. I went cold turkey and it's been 3 years since I've touched a cigarette. Best thing I ever did other than the weight I tacked on in the process

Bossman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I quite dipping January 1st. I am a member of the website killthecan.org and man that has helped. The point of the website is join the quit group you belong to(based on your quit date) and then post roll every morning promising your group you will be nic-free that day. The whole point is guys we have to take this 1 day at a time. I am on day 98 today. The "fog" early on fckn sucks! But just battle through and read and read and read that website....even if you don't join and post roll just read man! Good luck and fck the NIC B!tch..Chantix really helped me but as far as anything else just quit cold turkey

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good luck quitting! I smoked and chewed for 20 years and failed many times trying to quit. Cold turkey is the only thing that worked for me. I spent a small fortune on lozenges and just became reliant on those. I still get very strong cravings. It is a lifelong battle i think.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I quit last fall. Here's what I did: Last fall I went on a week long fly-in bear hunt. I went up there with enough chew for a day and brought a gross of gum. After the chew was gone, I went to the gum. The week was too busy to think about chewing. I came back still craving a little, but after 2 weeks the cravings were gone. I still bum one occasionally from a friend, but I have it under control.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Someone bet I couldn't leave a pinch of Copenhagen in my mouth for five minutes, nope I got so sick never touched it after that.;:;barf

Good Luck Everyone that's trying to "Dump the Dip". I dumped the dip in 7th grade when I swallowed about a 1/4 of a can of copenhagen and spent the next few hours trying to find out if it's physically possible to invert ones digestive system by way of strong and repeated full throttle abdominal contractions.

Ha ha that's exactly what happened to me when I was in junior high acting all tough, neighbor chewed "Happy days" brand I think in the early to mid 80's and my old man was there and okayed him to let me take a big ol pinch. Took less than a minute to experience what is explained above. By the time I was done convulsing I think my neighbor and my old mans guts hurt just as bad as mine from laughing at me so hard.;:;boohoo

I tried a few more times in high school and college with a not so extreme reaction but knew when them juices start flowing and that churning feeling comes on to know when to get rid of it b4 it hits one in the gut full force. never tried after that again. Not to mention that light headed super dizzy feeling that hits one in the head almost instantly and sticks with you for about an hour.

They say nobody just picks up a cigarette or starts chewing the first time it is a habit developed because one wants to and quitting is the same way and after trying it back when I have to agree with that scenario.

Last edited:

silentbob

Founding Member
Founding Member
i know a few guys that had quit by using coffee grounds. they would put a little of that in their lip. they did it for about a month slowly using less and less and after that they didnt feel like chewing tobacco anymore. what i can gather from all this is that its mostly the feeling of having something in your lip. so it doesnt have to be coffee grounds but im sure even that jerky chew would help!

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I started chewing copenhagen when I was 14 and guit at 38. Just went cold turkey and set my mind to it. What I found out it was more of a habit than an addiction. I would go to do certain things and reach into my pocket for the can. If I was busy I didn't even think about it. Now sitting around a campfire drinking that was a different story. People will tell you that you will feel better, that's all bullshit. I didn't feel any different other than not have a sore mouth at the end of the day. I was still the same crabby a#>hole after I quit.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Auggie never bum chew that will end up biting you in the ass. I would always bum smokes from dustyg33 while out fishin and huntin. Pretty soon i was buying 6 dollar packs of cowboy killers from the sheyenne bar and chain smoking all day on the lake haha. I could dump a pack of reds in a bowl and eat them like cereal they are so good.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My quittin method after chewing for 6 years.

Get really loaded so you do not realize you picked up your buddies long neck Bud he has been spitting Copenhagen in all night and guzzle it. Spend the next two hours pukin your guts out until the smell of Copenhagen gives you the gag reflex.

When i was 4 or 5 i ate a half can of Dads copenhagen and barfed for a while you would have thought that would have taught me. Fast forward a few years i am in 11 th grade or so and me and a buddy are out hunting with Dad and he asks us if we want a chew. Heck ya we say well we throw in the dip and i go to roll the window down to spit and he says whoa if you want to chew you swallow it like a man so about a half mile me and my buddy are both puking by the pick up with my Dad holding the can of cope right by us asking if we want more. The worst and dont know how it did not get me to quit was just got done gutting a deer and i am allergic to deer so breathing was tough i grab a bottle both me and a buddy were spitting in he was chewing skoal fine cut and i had cope i chugged that bottle stopped on the hi way and barfed. Swore i was done at that moment two hours latter while having a beer i had another chew. Now ten years latter made my mind up and done with it i never really wanted to quit before this was the problem.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never announce quitting as that creates more pressure than needed in a stressful time. Just sayin...

dwos03

Founding Member
Founding Member
I started chewing copenhagen when I was 14 and guit at 38. Just went cold turkey and set my mind to it. What I found out it was more of a habit than an addiction. I would go to do certain things and reach into my pocket for the can. If I was busy I didn't even think about it. Now sitting around a campfire drinking that was a different story. People will tell you that you will feel better, that's all bullshit. I didn't feel any different other than not have a sore mouth at the end of the day. I was still the same crabby a#>hole after I quit.
I agree with this 100%^^ I've been off the stuff for a year and 2 months now quit cold turkey. Just gotta keep it outta your mind(easier said than done obviously). Still have a ton of buddies that do it so whenever they offer me a one i politely tell them no titty sprinkles thank you! But seriously, everything Skeeter said here is exactly like I remember it, except for the first few times I went out and got pretty drunk I would get the worst hangover headaches in the world. Like head exploding grade headaches. I attributed that to me chewing mostly when I was drinking and they eventually stopped.

Hamm's

Founding Member
Founding Member
DSC09768.jpg
This may help if you like the taste of coffee.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 88
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33