winter wheat v. volunteer wheat sprouts?

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Usually winter wheat will be sprouting in rows from being seeded with a seeder, vollunteer spring wheat comes up all over the field looks like your lawn.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most winter wheat hasn't been planted yet or will be by mid-October. I think Sept. 20 is the optimum planting date. Like Tikka said, you should be able to row the planted winter wheat. Volunteer wheat will also usually germinate in strips. It'll be thick between tire tracks and next to nothing on the edge of the header line.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe most Americans are sick of farmers. Enjoy your land while you can and leave the rest of us alone. Eff you farmers with your rape of the Earth and murder of the animals.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
svnmag you got issues. Don't hold back tell us how you really feel. :;:stirthepot

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most winter wheat hasn't been planted yet or will be by mid-October. I think Sept. 20 is the optimum planting date. Like Tikka said, you should be able to row the planted winter wheat. Volunteer wheat will also usually germinate in strips. It'll be thick between tire tracks and next to nothing on the edge of the header line.[/QUOTE/]

there is at least 3 fields on my commute planted.....and yes there planted winter wheat as I have chatted with the farmer. like the others said should be able to see the rows, possibly like minimal til, knife marks but they'll use air seeders to knife in fertilizer as well. best bet is if your unsure go ask before you enter

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Winter wheat is a non-insurable crop in North Dakota, it is appraised in the spring, and then if qualified insures as spring wheat. It usually has a higher yield and is good for raising a producers APH, but generally has a lower protein, which becomes the trade off.

Most winter wheat will be planted in the early parts of September, and through out the month. It needs to come up some prior to a frost for a quality winter carry over.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
svnmag you got issues. Don't hold back tell us how you really feel. :;:stirthepot

I "felt" like that....? Damn farmers their freakn' shiite. I'm not rich and don't purchase consumables at the "market" on Sunday along a drive in my antique vehicle. Obtain required nutrients at the gd store without all the killing and racism.

th

Last edited:

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lol. Thanks guys. 7, u are 1 strange cat.

- - - Updated - - -

I've seen a few that look too lush to be volunteer wheat or barley. But, can't make out any rows either. Probably tell result of a well timed post harvest rain. Birds are loving thrm! Gonna have to make a call or 2 I guess.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most winter wheat hasn't been planted yet or will be by mid-October. I think Sept. 20 is the optimum planting date. Like Tikka said, you should be able to row the planted winter wheat. Volunteer wheat will also usually germinate in strips. It'll be thick between tire tracks and next to nothing on the edge of the header line.

There is a bunch planted and 3 inches high already in the Bismarck area. I know, I was too.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I parked in some a couple of years ago. just the 30 feet along the road had come up, there was a farmer coming with a 30 foot header on a flat section line road and 4 foot tall crp on the other side of the road so I parked in the field with what I thought was volunteer wheat. after I hunted the crp the farmer stopped to talk. I apologized he laughed and said it was no big deal. I am sure going out and setting decoys up would have been a different deal

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 112
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82