Why are bottom bouncers ...

MicLee

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why are bottom bouncers frowned upon? I never did understand this. I had heard, and not sure if this is true, that back when only a few tournament guys knew about the slow death hooks, that they were cleaning up pulling bouncers. Now, you are almost shunned if you tell certain folks that you were catching them trolling bouncers. It's not my favorite approach either, but some days it is the best.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know anyone who frowns upon using bottom bouncers. They're easy to use, especially with kids, and they put fish in the tank. Who cares what someone else thinks.

There are a lot of "dick measurers" who need to have the latest and greatest lures and tactics who may tell you you're wrong....just go and enjoy fishing, and if your catching some that's a good day.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll take a shot at addressing your question. I think BBs are considered low-skill or no-skill for catching fish. All you do is lower them to the bottom and drive around the lake and wait for a fish to commit suicide. One could say trolling cranks is basically the same thing. Whereas something like pitching cranks or jigs is "active" fishing and thereby takes more skill. I have even heard pulling BBs referred to as fag dragging. I agree with other posters, I do what I want and don't worry what others think.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
What you have here is as NDwalleyes refers to as "dick measurers" are really whannebee bass fishermen trying to fish a walleye that primarily sits and feeds near the bottom of the lake. Most of summer bottom bouncers makes the most sense to catch such a fish.

I started at 7am last weekened casting anything from a wacky to swimbaits and everthing in between. T time at 11 - got off the lake to swing a club then back on the lake for the evening. I do not want to count how many casts and swings i did but it was to many. I would give anything to pull a spinner and drown a worm. B bouncer time though is cherished as it is relaxing way to have a beer and just enjoy life. I miss DL --- i dont miss the wind though.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll pull BB's all over the lake. Set the trolling speed, put the rig down, put the rod in the rod holder, and relax. I consider fishing my relaxing time. I am also a fair weather fisher. Crappy weather equals sitting at the camper enjoying some beverages.

Last edited:

NodakEyeGuy

Man...if that's the case then there would be a lot of frowns coming my way! Haha...I will say I've tried to mix it up more with jigging raps and pulling crankbaits...but that's more so just to get better at those presentations in case I need them someday. But it's hard to beat a 3 hour or less limit pulling bouncers and rigs! F the haters...haha!

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll pull BB's all over the lake. Set the trolling speed, put the rig down, put the rod in the rod holder, and relax. I consider fishing my relaxing time. I am also a fair weather fisher. Crappy weather equals sitting at the camper enjoying some beverages.
I am glad to see that some of you nodakers are like me !!!!

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
Question for all you die hard bottom bouncer guys. How heavy of bouncers do you use? I am mainly a slip bobber and jig fisherman but do enjoy pulling bottom bouncers on occasion just haven't had much luck with them

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also like the setting of the hook and fighting the fish to the surface, its really the thrill of fishing, getting the fish to bite is needed for the real thrill, how one gets there is really not important.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
go big or go home. i hate having to pull the damn things at 0.8-1.2 mph in order to keep em on the bottom and trigger a bunch of 14 inch fish whilst doing so. if i can make it work, i am doing at least 1.8 mph up to 2.3-2.5. nearly impossible to accomplish once you get in 25-30 ft. but, definitely doable up to 25 feet w/ a 3 oz

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Question for all you die hard bottom bouncer guys. How heavy of bouncers do you use? I am mainly a slip bobber and jig fisherman but do enjoy pulling bottom bouncers on occasion just haven't had much luck with them

I will use less than 1 oz when fishing less than 12 ft, 1.5 oz in between 12 and 20 ft, and 2 oz for anything over 20 ft. The reason for this rule of thumb for me is I don't like it when my fishing partners need to let out 80 ft of line. Just leads to more tangled lines.

I have lots of friends who much prefer to jig, whether vertical or pitching. I don't mind jigging, but much prefer the peace and tranquility of drifting BBs or actively pulling them. However, I will use whatever I think is most likely to put the best balance of numbers and quality in the boat. Whether that is BBs, in-line weights, slip bobbers, cranking, ????...I will go with the hot bite every time.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
4oz Bottom Bouncer with a beer top popper has been deadly on Sak in the last couple weeks.....

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 152
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 124
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88