Why are bottom bouncers ...

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I use bottom bouncers depending on the speed and depth. Faster and deeper you go the heavier you may need to reach and stay on bottom. Start with light as possible and work up.

Last edited:

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Running bb with a big/pink Phelps Floater and a 6_8' snell has accounted for MANY Walleyes for me.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
Years ago I bought a precision trolling bible that was a game changer I bought way less live bait after that I still use bbs allot but pulling wood is like harvesting

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember back in 90's a guide from South Dakota came up with it and was also kicking butt on tournament trail. I fished a lot on PWT side with local Bismarck boys for practice and amateur side. Parsons and Keith just flat out asked what he was using, and he told them, even bent some hooks to show them how to tie them and then they started winning but wanted to keep it quite till the amateur's riding along spread the word,was not me. Father in law and I won alot of tournament too. Took Parsons two years to get Mustad to make hook design and rest is history It just works have to pay attention to detail. When I am on the water I use what works. Have to say nothing beats Jigging but it dont work all the time.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
They definitely work but are %100 my least favorite way to fish. Even if everyone else in the boat is waking them on BB’s I’m gonna try something else. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t and I have to surrender to the God of bottom bouncers.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If it catches fish it's not dumb or lame, especially if kids can do it.

I have teased some friends and family for being one-dimensional and refusing to do anything other than bouncers but that's all in good fun.

If dragging barbie dolls behind the boat was more effective than bouncers I'd have a plano box full of barbies.

DakotaGreg

Established Member
Id rather trash talk liberal eco commie fly fishermen than BB guys. As a very passioniate fly fisherman, I dont identify as one. Although i do think the fly fishing world is getting less elitist as younger generations get into it.

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember back in 90's a guide from South Dakota came up with it and was also kicking butt on tournament trail. I fished a lot on PWT side with local Bismarck boys for practice and amateur side. Parsons and Keith just flat out asked what he was using, and he told them, even bent some hooks to show them how to tie them and then they started winning but wanted to keep it quite till the amateur's riding along spread the word,was not me. Father in law and I won alot of tournament too. Took Parsons two years to get Mustad to make hook design and rest is history It just works have to pay attention to detail. When I am on the water I use what works. Have to say nothing beats Jigging but it dont work all the time.
Too bad Mustad fkd up by not putting a real barb on it.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Question for all you die hard bottom bouncer guys. How heavy of bouncers do you use? I am mainly a slip bobber and jig fisherman but do enjoy pulling bottom bouncers on occasion just haven't had much luck with them
My rule of thumb is whatever weight is needed to keep the line at roughly a 45 degree angle depending on depth and speed your running.

camper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t remember where or when this happened but I remember reading about a bb accident that killed the fisherman. He was reeling in a caught fish and when the bb came out of the water the fish came off the hook or the spinner line broke sending the wire end of the bb to penetrate the the guys chest piercing his heart. Hard to believe but maybe someone remembers this.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
The reason why they are frowned upon is they are about the most effective device ever unleashed on a walleye, and it gets boring doing something that always works year after year. I’m just not a fan of trolling in general most of the time

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have no problem with bb been doing quite a bit lately to find fish.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I’m comparing BB’s to cranks, at least with BB’s you likely have to feel and set the hook VS just grabbing a rod and reeling the fish in. In defense of cranks though, you need to know what you are doing as far as boat control, speed and depth goes.

I still enjoy catching fish with a jig more than anything.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I’m comparing BB’s to cranks, at least with BB’s you likely have to feel and set the hook VS just grabbing a rod and reeling the fish in. In defense of cranks though, you need to know what you are doing as far as boat control, speed and depth goes.

I still enjoy catching fish with a jig more than anything.
Leadcore dumbs down the whole control speed depth. My young kid could barely see over the dash. He drove 99 percent of the tine

MicLee

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Mustad slow death are my least favorite.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Remember when "slow death " hooks first came out. Made up a dozen snells with perch colored spinners. Was fishing on Alkaline Lake and I was done and sipping on a cold one before my buddy even had one in the boat. Boy did he beg. LB

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88