Helix transducer

VDAWG

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am looking at getting a humminbird helix 9 si for my 16ft aluminum boat. Will I need a different transducer to maintain depth readings while cruising around on plane? My boat tops out at about 30-35mph.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
You shouldn't if you have it sitting right. I took the easy way out and got the thru hull ducer and y cable. For whatever reason I couldn't get the main ducer to read when on plane

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
From my messing around, about half the transducer should ride under water ... or at least look that way when looking at the boat.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've read that a lot of si ducers have issues reading while on plane (all manufacturers)... my onix one stops reading at about 15mph and it's 1/2 in the water... it's a much bigger ducer than the helix ones though

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am going with the 2nd ducer with my new Helix. I just could never get it right on the ONIX so not going to mess with it any more

hoytslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
hit and miss for me, sometimes it stays reading other times not. doesn't make that much of a difference for me though, if im going that fast I usually already have a gps track and im on a mission to some carp hole that doesn't have any fish in it anymore anyway. helix 9 si btw

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you have an aluminum boat you may not have the issues that fiberglass owners do. My Skeeter has a dual level hull and the Helix transducer (w/side scan) doesn't get low enough in the water to keep reading while on plane. Many guys are going with two transducers as a fix, and getting the Y-cable to support two; one on plane and one for going at slower speeds. That's what I did.

The smaller transducer is below the transom, underneath by the pumps & drain. This one reads depths at faster speeds. The Side Scan transducer is mounted on the transom and reads everything at slower speeds because it remains in the water deep enough to get the readings. Check out a couple YouTube videos with a search for Helix transducer and see how they mount for fiberglass applications.

I hope to get out on the water next week for the first time and see how this new setup works.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 180
  • This month: 150
  • This month: 139
  • This month: 129
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84