Keeping hole open

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yesterday I brought out the famdamily out and had to fish outside. Weather was awesome but it reminded me of old times. The snow was deep the Ford should stayed home and Chevy should of went but it made it. Anyway how r u guys keeping holes open? Coffee can and charcoal or does anybody else have other ideas.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tell her she's pretty. If that doesn't work, jewelry usually does the trick.

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd try the above options first. Upgrading to a new model I hear is extremely expensive!

I wish there was a better way to keep the holes open in the outside conditions. I've never tried the coffee can idea. How do you set that up?

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
ah..now now...don't be blaming the truck...better look at the nut behind the wheel

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
saw a picture yesterday of somebody using a battery powered aerator to keep a couple holes open

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Antifreeze?
Can't be any worse than the no dapl clowns deuce'n in the water source

slyfish77

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would'nt be dumping poison in the water. Good way to get ticket, plus you also pull your fish through it. Simple wood covers or styrofoam covers help. charcoal cans work well, bit of a pita. The box with a candle in it works also.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Juanr does what he wants because he is above the law special treatment would be the case, don't believe me just ask him.:;::;:howdy

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd try the above options first. Upgrading to a new model I hear is extremely expensive!

I wish there was a better way to keep the holes open in the outside conditions. I've never tried the coffee can idea. How do you set that up?

Drill your hole for fishing, and then drill a second hole that slightly overlaps your first hole. The second hole is only about 3-4" deep, just deep enough to allow the water from your first hole to flood it. You put the coffee can in the 2nd hold and it warms the water at the surface enough to keep your hold open.

- - - Updated - - -

Just don't dump your coals on the ice afterward...that is a violation also.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bet this guy has a few things to say on the subject. Would love to hear him discuss.

ladiesman_keyart.jpg

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Easiest way I've used is to put a can of water right in front of the heater and let'er get good and warm. Then every so often go and pour some of that water in the hole. If you don't dump the warm water into the hole to fast and send it out the bottom, it takes quite a while for the water in the hole to get back down to freezing temp. Don't get the water too hot or you can damage your line if you don't reel it in before adding the water.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would'nt be dumping poison in the water. Good way to get ticket, plus you also pull your fish through it. Simple wood covers or styrofoam covers help. charcoal cans work well, bit of a pita. The box with a candle in it works also.

Haha.
I was just funning, I just scoop every so often, and scrape the ice chunks of my line.

If my boy is with it gives him a project if fishing is slow, and I can get him off the Ranger

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha.
I was just funning, I just scoop every so often, and scrape the ice chunks of my line.

If my boy is with it gives him a project if fishing is slow, and I can get him off the Ranger

Dammmittt I spent all morning painting a quart of methanol white, stenciling "white privilege" on the side and making an $8 price tag....

Well most of the morning was figuring out the printer...

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
1. Pee in it. Keep drinking beer so you can keep ahead of the freeze up.
2. Isopropyl alcohol

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 165
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 59