Boating Etiquette on the Missouri river

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've seen you on the water. You aim at small boats and shore fishermen, laughing like a maniac the whole time. Evil Ranger owner

I could see this! Prob stands in the boat and aims his spincaster like he's Quigley Down Under and "air shoots" people he drives past as well!

Last edited:

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do get nervous at guys rippin up and down the river, but mostly cause I dont have cajones' as big as theirs and am just waiting for something bad to happen.

And yes, I get irritated when a boat is so close I can spit into it. Unfortunately thats just the way the river is these days, not alot of quiet to be found. Like mentioned, lots of other places to fish.

- - - Updated - - -

Sub,

I dont have a sparkly boat, so I'm in the camp that makes fun of them (because i ain't them). That said, your tag line deserves a "thumbs up".

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think we're forgetting who the real enemy is here, fellas. Damn dirt bikes and atv's.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
i am just going to stick to road hunting by farm houses and finding ice fishing spots with my binos as to not piss any one off

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't you realize that tournament fishermen have paid an entry fee which gives them ownership of the river and exclusive rights to all fishing spots on said day or days of tournament. You as a average fisherman have to move out of their way, it's the law.

Last edited:

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sparkly boats look queer. You guys with sparkly boats and 300s should get some glitter makeup to match your boat! ;):::

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just don't go shooting feral cats within 400 yards of farm houses
i am just going to stick to road hunting by farm houses and finding ice fishing spots with my binos as to not piss any one off

- - - Updated - - -

I heard it has something to do with penis size.
Sparkly boats look queer. You guys with sparkly boats and 300s should get some glitter makeup to match your boat! ;):::

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
The river is a bad bad bich and there is limited navigation room in certain spots, If you are going to fish main channel spots or just off main channel be prepared to get buzzed. Me being a lakey, river fishing can get the anxiety and /or blood pressure up. Last weekend I had a guy drive right over the bar I was pitching admittedly I landed a jig a couple feet from his boat as he drove over the spot with his 300, no words were exchanged but I think he realized his mess up after every other boat that came into the hole went down around and came back up into the hole. We had a couple old timers troll cranks right on the sand bar kicking up sand the whole time with their old evinrude. It doesn't pay to get pissed, a lot of guys don't fish the river much or they fish it a lot and just don't care about other boats or don't know they are messing up.

A lot of the time it is hard to figure out what is going on if you are new to the river or don't have the latest gear(Anchor button, gps, powerpole, talon, etc) if three boats are drifting with the current and 3 boats are anchored up pitching to the bar, and there are 4 guys trying to pull cranks it can become a cluster and frustrating. As far as tourney anglers I think most of us will give up a spot to a family that is fishing or non tournament boat that is struggling to control their boat, or try to give them a subtle tip as to what is going on, just due to the fact that it isn't worth the bad rep or frustration. But there are dickheads too, that just don't care about anything on both sides also. Either way it's fishing and the high water and the way fish are concentrated in certain areas this year has made for an interesting spring.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is why i fish the river in a 16' lund tiller. If i do something that pisses people off they just think i'm poor and stupid and give me a pass. If you do the same thing in a sparkly boat they think you are a prick who owns the river.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seriously, they shouild just close the river down when there are tournaments. Give them space. While there at it maybe the game and fish could set up a few fish cleaning stations running water and all to clean all the big spawning eyes that are caught. Walleye eggs just don't come off the tail gate all that easy.

What's this sparly boat mafia? I know a guy that I wish I didnt.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Been thinking on mounting a rife scabbard on my side console and sticking a old rifle stock in it just for looks. Might work or might not. Wear one of those God awful face shields too. Naw I just fish somewhere else because I can. Middle of the week, early in the morning about when the sun comes up and there is not another boat with in a half mile. Done before the rest get out of bed.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've gotta say that in the 30+ years of almost exclusively fishing the river, I've had very complaints of other peoples fishing etiquette. You just have to get use to the fact that other people will fish close to you. For me it's no big deal. I don't care. There are enough fish out there for everybody and it's a good opportunity to see whats biting and what they are biting on.

Colt45

Founding Member
Founding Member
HAhaha fishing is fun................. you don't own the water!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 198
  • This month: 168
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57