The Great Escape

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
I will never shoot one either. Hell if i had to walk sloughs and shelter belts or sit in tree stands dont know if i would even hunt wild deer but i agree that if that is others cup of tea and they are legal and not breaking laws drink away.

This is the thing the antis love splitting people up who like the out doors. Like trad archery vs compound, archery vs rifle hunters, cap and ball muzzle loader vs inlines. We all need to get with it or eventually they will take each sub group out one by one till we are all left with nothing.

If one reads some of the comments below the article it seems to be working.

- - - Updated - - -

"According to a deer farming insider, normal captive deer live for about 12 years while deer bred only for massive antlers usually die by age 7. Maybe it's too many steroids or food supplements? Maybe it's medication and living in a rarefied environment? Maybe it's donating more sperm than their bodies can handle.My guess is it's the genetics. I'm no genetics expert, but breeding brothers to half sisters and mothers to sons and then back again can't be healthy. I've studied more than a few field champion pedigrees in my day and I've never seen "line" breeding like I see in the antler growing business.
Some of these breeders breed for antlers and don't seem to care much about how they get them. Frankenbucks are the products of excessive "line" breeding. They aren't bred for hybrid vigor, longevity or the ability to take on all comers and win breeding rights. They aren't bred for the ability to avoid hunters, live through a hard winter or to produce tastier venison."

Line One Hereford cattle have been around 80 some years.

https://agresearchmag.ars.usda.gov/2010/mar/hereford/

Most any captive raised animal is genetically manipulated for one trait or another. even koi fish............. \wasn;t there someone on here that raises koi fish?

Another excellent article.........

http://money.cnn.com/2007/08/23/smbusiness/breeding_koi.fsb/

https://pethelpful.com/fish-aquariums/Koi-Carp-An-Ancient-Long-Lived-Ornamental-Fish

Koi Carp: The Most Expensive Koi Fish Ever Sold

Koi Are Living Art

7901591_f520.jpg

Source
Koi Fish

From humble origins, the koi has come to be the most precious of all fish, the most beautiful specimens selling for up to $2.2 million.

Anyone here raise koi?

- - - Updated - - -

To be clear, I am perfectly ok with the operation but I don’t consider high fence shooting as hunting. Once it’s behind that fence it’s livestock. Raised for legitimate business and profit. If someone wants to pay me a shit ton of money to shoot my cow, my only question will be if they want it loaded on the trailer before or after. But the difference is there is no wild aurochs for domestic cattle to infect. There are lots of wild deer. CWD doesn’t just pop up six states away from infected areas for no reason. I hope the guy was testing. I’d like to know.

Cattle and deer carry a number of the same diseases and an infect one another.

There is a lot that is not known about these prion diseases. Spontaneous occurance is a scientific theory as to how they occur.

The most common form of classic CJD is believed to occur sporadically, caused by the spontaneous transformation of normal prion proteins into abnormal prions. ... The risk of CJD increases with age, and in persons aged over 50 years of age, the annual rate is approximately 3.4 cases per million.Mar 17, 2017

Occurrence and Transmission | Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease, Classic ...

https://www.cdc.gov/prions/cjd/occurrence-transmission.html

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know how many times I have heard people say "well as long as it's legal". They need to go back to grade school. We would never have thought we would get to shooting deer inside a pen and calling it sport. So lets say lasers get cheap enough to be lethal on deer to 5000 yards. No aiming over, and at 186,000 miles per second there is no lead. There are no laws against it so I guess we just let then fry deer to their hearts content. Or would we as sportsmen be responsible enough to outlaw such weapons? Some states outlaw 50 cal, some states outlaw crossbows, some states allow handicapped to use crossbows. Saying as long as it's legal is simply irresponsible and not giving a crap.

Lasers are cool but only a grade school kid would thing to use them for deer hunting. Once again if it is legal in one state that is what the rules are but illegal in another that is what the rules are. Follow the rules of the said state and it is for the people them selves to judge what is right or ethical for them. Isnt that the good Christian way ...... [h=3]James 4:11-12 ESV / 310 helpful votes Helpful Not Helpful[/h]Do not speak evil against one another, brothers. The one who speaks against a brother or judges his brother, speaks evil against the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge. There is only one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and to destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor?

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Paint ball gun would be fun. Have some multi-colored deer running around or some glow in the dark paint splatters.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kurtr stick with the backpack the law you quote from the Bible has nothing to do with the laws of men. Also, judging doesn't mean what you evidently think it does.

Now as for the laws of man should we just drop all laws? Are laws made by man judging? Without new laws to control things we have no idea about we would turn into just another less than third world nation. If people felt that way before the invention of the automobile we would have no traffic laws.

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
The impression from the article is that game and fish gave permission to keep. Maybe that's just my impression. At any rate, they're private property with a known owner. I really could care less; the article just strikes me as odd. Is there a season on buffalo (bison) in ND?

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
The impression from the article is that game and fish gave permission to keep. Maybe that's just my impression. At any rate, they're private property with a known owner. I really could care less; the article just strikes me as odd. Is there a season on buffalo (bison) in ND?

Yes, Didn't you get a tag? I got one, going out tomorrow. There's wild herds roaming all over, didn't you know that? I also got a trophy jakalope last weekend.

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just got back. Ran up north of Fryburg quick, cut the park fence and teased a buff out with a bucket of oats. Shot him between the eyes. Guess park service is ok with it.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ghost said,

There are lots of wild deer. CWD doesn’t just pop up six states away from infected areas for no reason. I hope the guy was testing. I’d like to know.

So you would like to know??? Me too. Satellite elk bulls that get pushed out of their home range by dominant bulls will go on a walk about. Can be over 100 miles. My Farmed Elk Ranch has been visited by seven bulls in seven years. I am in E5. If a sportsmen (with a once in a life time tag) is unsuccessful in other units they can hunt E5. It's as simple as putting the word out and wait. Three of the seven were shot by female hunters.

I am certified/trained by the State to remove the brain stem and lymph node for CWD testing. Have given it to a Game Warden and he asked what am I supposed to do with this? Of the seven wild elk shot here, the Game and Fish has not been interested in testing one.

Just throwing this out there.........what about DNA? By pulling hair could they source their origin? Did they come from the badlands or Montana or South Dakota? That would be a wealth of information how far they travel. I could pull the samples as I'm usually there with a loader tractor helping load and most times the harvested animal goes through my walk-in cooler walk-in freezer.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member

I'm just speculating but with the gnf still letting the guy keep his tag they did consider it private property. If the owner really wanted the deer back he probably could have persued it. Besides disappointing the Hunter what would he of gained from this? He could have made someone's day or of been a dick.

Fritz, when getting a permit to farm game do they have some disclosure that you can't hold someone liable for accidently taking said game?

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
He could have got a couple grand for the mounted heads of those deer online for starters.

As for critters on walk about we have had moose from ND show up in IA and a SD mountain lion show up on the east coast so anything is possible. Here is a shot taken near wing a couple years ago.

IMG_20151108_191729.jpg

Last edited:

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ericb said,

Fritz, when getting a permit to farm game do they have some disclosure that you can't hold someone liable for accidently taking said game?

No...... Those deer in the first post are probably worth $5,000 a piece. (alive) They aren't worth much dead. Kind of like a bunch of pen raised pheasants escape on opening day of pheasant season. Alive they are worth $10 bucks. Not worth much dead. I don't believe the owners would want them back.

The usual tussle between what is public and what is private will continue.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member

Did it ever occur to you that maybe the owner decided that he didn't want to be a complete Jack Wad? In the article pictures I didn't see anything marking the deer to tip off that they were not wild animals such as a colored ear tag so how was anyone supposed to know. If it was myself and I was raising deer as livestock similar to cattle I would probably have one or two ear tags on them, the second is usually a fly tag. I also know that if cattle (livestock) get out and cause damage to property or cause a vehicle accident the owner can be held liable at times so what if one of these deer got struck by a car and someone was majorly injured or killed? If that happened does it become a wild animal or is it livestock?

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did it ever occur to you that maybe the owner decided that he didn't want to be a complete Jack Wad? In the article pictures I didn't see anything marking the deer to tip off that they were not wild animals such as a colored ear tag so how was anyone supposed to know. If it was myself and I was raising deer as livestock similar to cattle I would probably have one or two ear tags on them, the second is usually a fly tag. I also know that if cattle (livestock) get out and cause damage to property or cause a vehicle accident the owner can be held liable at times so what if one of these deer got struck by a car and someone was majorly injured or killed? If that happened does it become a wild animal or is it livestock?

Nah it never occurred to me...
If you read the article I believe someone mentioned a tag. Anyways, my point was solely on the private property issue. And when you start factoring in this guys livelihood is raising deer for antlers it kind of changes things as far as being considered a jackwad.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 112
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 38