Broken collarbone

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
My middle child broke his collarbone in a football game this evening. At least it looks that way. We are still waiting in the ER. I told my oldest that there is no reason to play football until about your sophomore year. It stuck with him and now he runs x-country instead, but it didn’t resinate with this one.

He’s pretty sour that he’ll miss a handful of weeks of basketball practice, plus youth deer season, but he’ll be alright.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I initially told him to rub some dirt on it and asked “are you hurt, or are you injured”? I Quickly realized he had an injury.
It could have been worse. This is a fairly quick recovery at least.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sucks with hunting season coming in fast. Hopefully he has a fast recovery.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
" Rub some dirt on it " That a way Dad. Brings em up a little tough. Even though I am sure he is tough enough already. Hope it goes together good and heals quickly.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
98617AA8-F7C0-4103-BA57-D3A3B086613A.jpeg

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
:sick: That ain’t good. Wishing him a quick recovery! My kid plays as a 7th grader and I can tell he’s concerned about getting hurt and missing out on basketball. He actually told me the other day on our way out deer hunting that he wasn’t sure he wants to play next year, figures he’ll be QB (which is a bit presumptuous, lol) and doesn’t want to take the hits. Told him to just stick with playing saftey or corner but at this point they’re playing them both ways. Bottom line is football is tough sport and injury likely hood is pretty high if you stick with it.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Vollmer, I’d like to “like” your post but I really don’t like it at all, lol. How about a thumbs down 👎, sucks getting a major injury like that.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sorry V - thoughts and prayers for a quick recovery! Amazing how quickly kids heal. Maybe he can now get in a little more fall fishing with dad!

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Injuries in any activity are never fun for anyone. More so when it's your kids who are involved. But they do happen. I was involved as a coach and fan while working at schools. Don't think any one sport was much different than another as far a injuries. Bone breaks probably more frequent in collision sports but sprain and tear the injuries happen in all of them. Probably as likely to have an injury when learning to ride a bike. Even more so when you learned to ride that bike and then learned how to build a ramp for jumping.

We try to make kids safe but sometimes things go wrong. We are thankful when it's an injury that will most likely have no lifelong affect. Hope your son has a complete recovery.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
collar bone breaks suck as there isnt a way to stabilize it well. had a friend crack one on a motorcycle, went home and it broke the rest of the way in the shower. I cracked one when i was in my 20s when i was 45 i had to have surgery to remove calcium build up on the break and it aches when the weather is shitty.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thirty or so years ago, was riding dirt bikes with a buddy, south of Mandan. We had little 175 Enduros at that point. He hit a cardboard box that was half covered in sand, and it took him down. I caught up to him, and he was yelling that he broke his collarbone. "

Yeah right", I said.

Then he flipped the broken part straight up, and I about tipped over. Holy Crap!

I picked up his bike, and he rode it about 3 ft and fell again. Had to put him on the back of mine, and get him back to civilization. It was highly broken.

Later that afternoon I checked on him at his house, and he was high as could be. It took a while to heal.

That is all.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
My son broke is collarbone the last motocross race on the first day of a two day race weekend. Didn’t realize it was broke but hurt like hell. He raced the next day and won the first five motos and was leading most of the sixth but then just couldn’t handle the pain anymore lol. Monday he found out it was broke. I don’t know how the hell he did it

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kids are tough - thank goodness.
Dangerous games/hobbies teach things that "safe sports" simply can't. That is - there's a price to be paid if you make mistakes and that you CAN get stomped on by real life. But you also recover after being stomped on by life.

Video games and flag football just don't quite get that message across.

Note: Head/brain injuries are unacceptable IMO. Don't let that happen.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry to hear you kid got banged up, but they will do that. Give it a few weeks, and I'll bet he's carrying a gun. He's got two shoulders and two eyes. A shoulder switch for a few weeks and a smaller caliber rifle should be enough to put a deer down. "Course I'm not a doctor and I don't like holiday inn express, so take it for what it's worth. I wish for a speedy recovery and a long, fruitful life for your son. Prayers sent!!

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Vollmer, I’d like to “like” your post but I really don’t like it at all, lol. How about a thumbs down 👎, sucks getting a major injury like that.

Put your mouse on the LIKE but don't click on it. There will be 6 Icons that come up for you to choose from.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Put your mouse on the LIKE but don't click on it. There will be 6 Icons that come up for you to choose from.

Yeh, I wasn't feeling the options quite fit the circumstance but thanks for the tip

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75