Any Birders here?

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a couple crows in the tree above my driveway this morning. The noises that were coming from them were nothing short of computerized garbled sounds. Not the "caw caw" that one is used to, but straight up supernatural noises. Simply amazing......and loud. Never heard anything like it.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Their intelligence is amazing. There's vids on YT on how to make one your "companion". My dad did it at the mines while killing a couple in his yard...take this as you will.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Best way to make a crow pet is to capture it when its young from a nest and raise it yourself I think. It was an idea I had at one time, but finding and getting to a crow nest isnt an easy task. Knowing ND, this might not be legal either...

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Best way to make a crow pet is to capture it when its young from a nest and raise it yourself I think. It was an idea I had at one time, but finding and getting to a crow nest isnt an easy task. Knowing ND, this might not be legal either...
The natives believe them to be the former elders in afterlife.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of color in the yard today, Grosbeaks and Orioles are fighting for Jelly/oranges and suit. The Orioles must be pretty hungry if their eating suit, same with the Grosbeaks if they are eating oranges/jelly. I counted 11 Orioles eating at the same time with more in the trees. They'll establish pecking order in the next few days and some will move on and some will stick around all summer. There was a pair of hummers at a feeder yesterday but too much activity for them today.

Update: There must have been a good Oriole crop last year , there were well over 20 of them at the feeders this afternoon. We start with 1/ an orange and when the orange is mostly eaten up we fill the cavity with grape jelly.

Last edited:

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bought my wife some pots of flowers for Mother's Day. Put them on the deck and walked her around to surprise her.....There was a hummingbird feeding after having them out for only about 2 hours!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Bought my wife some pots of flowers for Mother's Day. Put them on the deck and walked her around to surprise her.....There was a hummingbird feeding after having them out for only about 2 hours!
The gift of flowers that give all summer, Great Idea' LB

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
My office view today. The jar was empty so I set it down to get a spatula and an Oriole was in the jar eating when I came back so I just let them fight over it and clean it out.

1684044845132.png

oriole3.jpg

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Martin update. They visit my house everyday for the last 4 days, usually around 8am. There are 16 holes. Sparrows are nesting in 4ish. Martins and sparrows fight a little, Martins leave until the next day. If those sparrows prevent the Martins from nesting, there will be hell to pay. Was hoping they could coexist like years past.

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Clean out the sparrow nests and burn them or they will have it all packed in the next day. Be persistent.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
yep, I'd clean it again and hopefully the martins decide to move in. I'm not sure what's going on here with the martins, this is the first year I've actually paid real close attention to them so it might be normal.

We had a loner show up about a week ago then about 3 pairs for a couple days and they all left. Swallows started taking over the house. Today there was a lone martin standing on top of the house guarding it while swallows swooping at it trying to scare it away. Not sure if colonies stop for a break on the way north but It seems like an empty house would be a logical place to land. Tomorrow I'll check to see if the swallows started building and clean it out.

Most of the orioles got re-nourished and moved on, I haven't tried to get a count but It looks like we are down to 3 or 4 pairs.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67